Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:58 PM   #17121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've been in Shenandoah Valley this week to celebrate our DS's last finals week, then taking him to DC. He'll soon have two degrees.

I've been walking two miles minimum every morning. This morning(well yesterday) I hit the resort pool and swam 800 meters. Tomorrow I plan to do at least 1200. In the afternoon went to James Madison's home, Montpelier. Absolutely gorgeous.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1430891843.584784.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1430891910.034064.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #17122

Reposting pictures without accidental green filter.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1430892296.535861.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1430892321.306059.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #17123
Moderator Emeritus

I have begun packing my things, with the objective of moving into my dream house in less than four weeks. So far I have packed 6 boxes and have assembled a dozen or two more. Also I now have at least six heavy trash bags filled with things that aren't worth donating, but which I do not want to move. So, they will go out with the trash.

After I quit packing last night, I thought i had pulled a muscle in my back while horsing around those heavy and cumbersome boxes full of books. But, miraculously it feels better this morning (and the boxes of books are neatly stacked in the hallway). The human body is amazing in its ability to repair itself, even at my age. Today I plan to pack something lighter, to take it easier on my back.

This is so exciting! Inspections of the new home will be on Friday, and with any luck I'll be moving around the first of June.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #17124
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have begun packing my things, with the objective of moving into my dream house in less than four weeks. So far I have packed 6 boxes and have assembled a dozen or two more. Also I now have at least six heavy trash bags filled with things that aren't worth donating, but which I do not want to move. So, they will go out with the trash.
One of the greatest benefits of moving is how easy it is to get rid of stuff you have accumulated.

Quote:
After I quit packing last night, I thought i had pulled a muscle in my back while horsing around those heavy and cumbersome boxes full of books. But, miraculously it feels better this morning (and the boxes of books are neatly stacked in the hallway). The human body is amazing in its ability to repair itself, even at my age. Today I plan to pack something lighter, to take it easier on my back.
Pace yourself, especially around heavy boxes. It is too easy to strain the back even when you are in good shape.

Quote:
This is so exciting! Inspections of the new home will be on Friday, and with any luck I'll be moving around the first of June.
Your excitement is contagious. When's the closing?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #17125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
One of the greatest benefits of moving is how easy it is to get rid of stuff you have accumulated.
In spite of your best efforts, I'm relatively sure after the move you'll be opening a box and asking yourself, "Why the heck did I move this?"
Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #17126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's for sure. I thought I was pretty well de-cluttered, but it turns out that's not at all the case!

Quote:
Pace yourself, especially around heavy boxes. It is too easy to strain the back even when you are in good shape.
Yes, I think I'll work on lighter things for a while now. When I first moved to New Orleans, I had 85 boxes of books, mostly heavy technical reference works. Thank heavens for retirement, and for the invention of the Kindle. Now, I think I have fewer than ten boxes of books total and I have already packed four of them. The rest can wait for a few days.

Quote:
Your excitement is contagious. When's the closing?
Right now it is scheduled for May 29th, but you know how closings can be. Honestly I'm not considering that to be written in stone until we get closer. But I do want to be pretty much all packed by that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In spite of your best efforts, I'm relatively sure after the move you'll be opening a box and asking yourself, "Why the heck did I move this?"
That's for sure! But at least I'll have fewer boxes of junk to unpack than I would have, had I packed all the trashbags full of broken and worn out stuff that I'm throwing out.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #17127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Sounds like you need in invest in (or borrow) a light duty hand truck to move heavy things. I use mine constantly for items over 20 pounds. The bigger the wheels, the better. There are all sorts of folding ones out on the market.

Go easy on that back ! (end of nag)
Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #17128

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Sounds like you need in invest in (or borrow) a light duty hand truck to move heavy things. I use mine constantly for items over 20 pounds. The bigger the wheels, the better. There are all sorts of folding ones out on the market.

Go easy on that back ! (end of nag)
And if you're moving yourself, renting a U Haul with a good ramp helps a lot. They have hand trucks for rental for about $10.

If you're having movers move the stuff, let them do the heavy lifting.

I'm excited for you!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #17129
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Freebird and EastWestGal! I do have a hand truck, so that is helpful. I'm going to hire some local movers to at least move the furniture, but I'd like to do as much as I can.

I told my neighbor about the move, and he just knocked and said he has friends that want to see the house tonight. This is insane - - every room is filled with boxes and stuff all over the place, and my house isn't even on the market yet. But they want to see it tonight.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #17130

Quote:
Thanks, Freebird and EastWestGal! I do have a hand truck, so that is helpful. I'm going to hire some local movers to at least move the furniture, but I'd like to do as much as I can.

I told my neighbor about the move, and he just knocked and said he has friends that want to see the house tonight. This is insane - - every room is filled with boxes and stuff all over the place, and my house isn't even on the market yet. But they want to see it tonight.
Wouldn't it be awesome if you sold to them. Save on Realtor fees and save on hassle.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #17131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wouldn't it be great if they make you an offer you can't refuse? Cut out the real estate agents entirely!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #17132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wouldn't it be great if they make you an offer you can't refuse? Cut out the real estate agents entirely!
If you do get private offer(s), get the house appraised so you know the recent value for the neighborhood.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #17133

Quote:
Not as unusual as you might think.

I've had something similar happen many years ago when I mentioned to a co-worker we were planning on selling. He bought our house a week later.

A couple of years ago my youngest bought a new house and sold hers, both via word of mouth, sans Realtors.

Hope you have similar good luck!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #17134
Moderator Emeritus

I can't imagine the house looking any worse for buyers than it does at this moment. And of course, my back started hurting again (probably stress leading to tightening muscles, but still).

The market in my neighborhood isn't very hot (it is in my new neighborhood, but not here) so I don't know why they are in such a tizzy to see it tonight. I give this a 0% chance of an offer, but hey, my neighbor is a nice guy and if his friends want to see it, then so be it. Maybe F can help me pick up a few things so that they can at least see it, without tripping on stuff and injuring themselves.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #17135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The same thing happened to my sister and the buyer loved the condo and wanted the place, the buyer had a friend that was a realtor write up the contact for no fee.It was a cash offer with no contingencies. The buyer discounted her share of the fees off her offer price and paid 1000 dollars earnest money. My sister was thrilled.Long story short the buyers defaulted after 60 days and told my sis "cash" meant the money the buyer would have gotten after selling their home. Which didn't sell.

We think the object was to keep the property off the MLS. My sister had no one to apply pressure to the buyer and in the end got the 1000, but got several thousand dollars of aggravation out of the deal. Moral of this story is, if you don't use a realtor write a fairly strict purchase agreement, don't give the buyer too long to close the deal and make the earnest money sting a little.

Also, I'm sure you have thought about the pitfalls of signing a purchase agreement before the inspection of your new house.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #17136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Also, I'm sure you have thought about the pitfalls of signing a purchase agreement before the inspection of your new house.
That's typically how it's done, and the buyer usually pays a small fee (~$100) to be able to back out of the deal if things are not what they were stated in the offering.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:26 AM   #17137

The purchase agreement is made with the deposit of earnest money: I put down $5000 which is somewhat typical in my area (MN) for a mid-range house. Then during the inspection period of a few days' time you can back out and get the earnest money back or renegotiate for anything you discover that wasn't immediately apparent. Then, for a condo, there's a 10 day condo document inspection period that allows you to also back out for any reason if the condo docs are not to your liking. I rather enjoyed the 10 day condo doc period: it seemed a sensible "cooling off" period that would be nice if also applied to a home purchase.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #17138
Moderator Emeritus

Bought a truckload of plants and flowers. Moved my whole house generator from the garage to its pad. Turned some more on the cherry bowl that I'm making from a tree I sawed down by the driveway.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #17139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Bought a truckload of plants and flowers. Moved my whole house generator from the garage to its pad. Turned some more on the cherry bowl that I'm making from a tree I sawed down by the driveway.
Wow, I'm impressed. All this before 8:30 Central Time...
Old 05-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #17140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
After I quit packing last night, I thought i had pulled a muscle in my back while horsing around those heavy and cumbersome boxes full of books.
Quote:
That was good advice, MichaelB, and I wish I had followed it! I wasn't pacing myself and I hurt my back a second time and then after that tried to move all the boxes around (to better prepare the house for showing) further hurting my back, and resulting in some surprisingly severe and nearly crippling pain.

So then I kind of had a melt-down, hit the wall, so to speak, and decided this was too much pressure and pain, and something had to give. F was so patient with me, did a lot of hand holding, took me out to lunch and told me to just chill and not pack any more for a while. We watched some British comedies on Netflix together while waiting for the heating pad to do its magic. He recommended my video game so I played that afterwards. He went with me to see the neighbor and to tell him that I just can't show the house until June. And really, I just can't. I have more to do than I can realistically handle and need to pace myself, as Michael so wisely suggested.

Things are much better today but I don't intend to pack any more until the weekend. Tomorrow we have the inspections on the new home so I need to be in good enough shape to follow around behind the inspectors and write on my clipboard.

Closed Thread