Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #17441
Dryer sheet aficionado

Friday was a practice RE day for me. I left off the Biz Iphone, and didn't log in to my biz e-mail either (a big deal for me to do this).

After coffee, I went on a short neighborhood walk & during it spoke to a couple of old friends also out.

Woke up my DW we headed out w/ the doggie & picked up chicken biscuits, then drove to a nearby trail. Had our breakfast, then hit the trail and put in ~45 mins thru the woods and along a pretty creek. Back home and I got ready for my PT appt for my frozen shoulder (takes a while for this to resolve itself). Then dropped by WMart and picked up a light combo rod and real, planning to try a little trout fishing at a nearby river soon.

Tried to get fishing license but for what ever reason needed to give the DNR my SS# and did not feel OK logging that in at the WMart...so I'll go on line at home to do that.

Late afternoon DW and I went to Food Truck / Free Concert at a nearby town and had some good food and enjoyed the band that was playing.

Great weather for all the above. I still need to "just relax" more but I'm working on it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #17442
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Friday was a practice RE day for me. I left off the Biz Iphone, and didn't log in to my biz e-mail either (a big deal for me to do this).
Great weather for all the above. I still need to "just relax" more but I'm working practicing on it.
Practice makes perfect!
Old 06-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #17443
Administrator

Bottled 5 gallons of dark ale.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #17444
Moderator Emeritus

what did you do today?

I'm working on a local "ham cram" class, with 60-odd students. I just finished generating sets of answer keys for test grading (W5YI VEC) and in a few hours I'll be grading a whole bunch of exams to be taken by the students.

5:30 AM setup, and we'll be done around 5 PM. Long busy day with a couple hours of downtime in the middle.

Gumby's day sounds like it might be more fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #17445
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Observed a $tarbuck$ barista sporting the apple watch. He is not the owner. Must be good money in the barista business.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #17446
Moderator Emeritus

Rained all day, so I watched Barnwood Builders episodes all day.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #17447

Slept late, read part of a book, gym with DW, she had a hankering to go to a restaurant for lunch so we did that and ate salads. Nice lazy day.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #17448
Full time employment: Posting here.

Made omelets for breakfast - a little left over steak from last night.

Did the Sunday grocery shopping, put everything away.

Went to the San Diego Buddhist Temple for a martial arts demo our group agreed to do as part of their big Spring Japanese Festival/Bizarre.

Big turn out - lots of interesting demonstrations (Japanese brush painting, calligraphy, taiko (drums), martial arts). Lots to eat. Our group got free lunch tickets for showing support.

Back at home relaxing and enjoying a cold beverage on the back patio before firing up the grill to cook up fajitas for dinner.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #17449
Give me a forum ...

Still packing, went out to buy more boxes and twine, and had a pleasant lunch with Frank.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #17450
Give me a forum ...

Made a nice breakfast then puttered around the house for a while. Around midday took a pontoon ride around the lake with sister and DW. Later played in 9 hole scramble at the club and had dinner with the group we play with on Sundays in the dining room.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #17451
Give me a forum ...

I slept in again until 10 AM. My sleep continues to be interrupted by frequent hot flashes. I keep the AC and overhead fan on all night, but it's still not enough to prevent them.

This nonsense will end soon, right ? Right ? RIGHT ??

Today's forecast was rain and thunderstorms, so still no boat launch. I have until July 4th to get it on the slip without forfeiting the spot, so no biggie.
I did a little vacuuming in the living room and bedroom. I watched the rain pour down in sheets, complete with thunder and lightning. During a rain break, I went out and moved a few of my smaller plant containers under cover so they don't get waterlogged.
I connected my laptop so we could watch the tail end of the Red Sox game from yesterday.
Mr B is studying for his IRS accepted agent exam while I surf.

Nice easy relaxing day at the homestead...I have the Easy Listening digital music channel on for background. If I put the more mellow Soundscapes channel on, I might fall asleep in the chair.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #17452
Give me a forum ...

Rained here today too. Unusual for me I woke up at 4 am and could not get back to sleep so I got up and continued my binge watching of Reckless on Netflix and finished the first season and then learned it was cancelled after the first season. Too bad, I quite liked it.

Had breakfast and watched the morning news and then went into the garage and cleaned/detailed the inside of our truck since I'll be using it for a golf trip and a fishing trip later this week. It was a bit of a mess and had not been done thoroughly in quite a while.

Then I had lunch, returned to clean the glass inside and out and cleaned the tonneau cover.

Then I took a well deserved nap.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #17453
Moderator Emeritus

Went urban hiking through the streets of Chicago. Go Blackhawks!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #17454
Give me a forum ...

So, a 500-mi dash is made today, and NW-Bound is back home in the blistering SW. After a few thousand miles, several hundred gallons of gas, the RV Trip of 2015 which started early in April has ended. All is left are some lousy photos, and memory of some nice campgrounds, as well as that of a few nights at Walmarts, and one at a particularly noisy truck stop.

I have some business to take care of, else perhaps would have gone longer.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #17455
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had something cool happen! Yesterday, DH and I drove to a state park about an hour from here. We each enjoyed a slice of lemon ice box pie and iced coffee, while enjoying the gorgeous view out the huge lodge windows.

At the table next to us, I noticed a woman who looked familiar from FB. She looked like a college roommate. I was showing DH FB photos, asking, Does that woman look like this? DH thought she kinda-sorta did.

I approached them and, sure enough! Had not seen her since 1977. We enjoyed a 30 min visit with plans to meet at a local pub when his brother's band plays. What an unexpected surprise.

So surprising, we forgot to do any hiking and headed home shortly afterwards.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #17456

Decided on the 5th wheel that we'll be buying before year end. Right floor plan, great quality and I like that Berkshire Hathaway is the parent company.

We found out that the behemoth will have to be towed with a BIG dually but that's ok, we're about to retire and plan to have fun while we can.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #17457
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Decided on the 5th wheel that we'll be buying before year end. Right floor plan, great quality and I like that Berkshire Hathaway is the parent company.

We found out that the behemoth will have to be towed with a BIG dually but that's ok, we're about to retire and plan to have fun while we can.
If it's a Trilogy, you may need a dually like this to safely haul it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagegd_big_inside.jpg (27.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #17458

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Lol, no need to go quite that big. It's the Cedar Creek 39 footer. Total loaded weight is ~16k so we're looking at a Chevy 3500hd diesel dually. The dually is actually a bit overkill but we'd rather get something that is a little too much in case we decide to full time it and go bigger on the trailer.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #17459
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
With a dually that big that one can live in, who needs the 5th wheel?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #17460

The truck may be big but it's living space looks small! DH and I could never be one of those cutting edge couples living in a tiny house. the marriage would not survive!
Closed Thread