Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #17501
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Purchased two tickets for the Billy Cobham "Spectrum 40th Anniversary Tour".

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #17502
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday was my normal Thursday golf group. Up early, pick up the guys, go out to breakfast, drive to the course (about 1 1/2 hours this week), play 18, visit the 19th hole while the results are being tallied and then ride home. even though I had a pretty good day our team was 6th, just 2 places out of the money. Last week and the week before, I had bad days and our team finished second each time, so it depends on how your partner plays and how your cards match up.

Since our spouses had plans for the afternoon and we were later than usual because we were playing farther away we stopped for a late lunch/early dinner on the way home. I was the DD.

Unlike Wednesday, I had a good day but was scrambling all day. The par 4, 12th hole was memorable. I skyed my drive off to the right and some branched were blocking my second shot. I tried to punch a low shot back out to the fairway but topped the ball and it ended up ~150 yards from the green... but there was this huge maple tree in the way about 40 years out... but the maple tree had a big crotch in it. My playing partner, a good golfer, jokingly suggested going through the crotch in the tree. We were behind in our match and I didn't have much to lose so I so I hit a nice 7 iron and was just short of the green. I putted from 10' off the green into the hole about 25' away for a par.

Today, I'm getting ready for my annual bass fishing trip with 7 other guys. We'll camp out tonight and hit the water about 4:30 am tomorrow morning and be done by mid to late morning. Half of us started our careers together over 35 years ago and are still in pretty regular contact.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #17503

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Half of us started our careers together over 35 years ago and are still in pretty regular contact.
That is a remarkable situation and you should be proud of it.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #17504
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. We all think it is pretty cool that we have managed to stay in touch all these years. Fairly unusual I suspect. Two of the other three guys I see quite regularly (about once a month or so) and the third guy lives a few hours away so I only see him a couple times each year.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #17505
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Smoking 5 briskets (ti-tips) using Aaron Franklin's technique. He just won a James Beard award for his brisket at his hole in the wall joint in Austin. His new book..Franklin Barbecue- A meat-smoking manifesto, is best I've read on Texas style bbq. Lots of meat bound for the freezer and giveaways to the neighbors.

Also, doing 2 racks of baby backs, jalapeño sausage... DW's potato salad, baked beans, deviled eggs... sweet tea.. little bit of heaven. Back to the gym Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg franklin-barbecue.jpg (361.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #17506
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ain't it grand!

Got myself a new hairdo today.

I've been putting color on my hair for so long, I wasn't sure what color it was. But after a year of not coloring my hair, getting it trimmed regularly and the short style I went with today, all the bottled color is off. Yippeee!

I'm so pleased with my black hair with silver 'highlights'!

+1 natural hair both looks healthier and more authentic. equal opportunity! Aging gracefully works well if you stand tall and proud. You have earned every gray hair there is!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #17507
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Smoking 5 briskets (ti-tips) using Aaron Franklin's technique. He just won a James Beard award for his brisket at his hole in the wall joint in Austin. His new book..Franklin Barbecue- A meat-smoking manifesto, is best I've read on Texas style bbq. Lots of meat bound for the freezer and giveaways to the neighbors.

Also, doing 2 racks of baby backs, jalapeño sausage... DW's potato salad, baked beans, deviled eggs... sweet tea.. little bit of heaven. Back to the gym Monday.

What time are the left overs being served...I'll get my hat...
Old 06-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #17508

DW took Friday off from w*rk, so we had a nice leisurely morning, then decided to visit the Bernardo Winery just up the road from us about 15 minutes away.

It's tucked back in the Bernardo hills and makes you feel like you have 'escaped' to the countryside.

Lots of shops, a restaurant, a sandwich shop, a couple of small quaint museums, the tasting room, Farmers Market on Fridays, several patios (one was roped off for a wedding later), and surrounded by the actual vineyards.

The sun broke out finally and it turned into very nice and slow day.

Since the vineyard owns the property the shops are on - they encourage you to take your wine glass and stroll around! Very cool.

They have a specialty chocolate shop too that they encourage you to go visit with your wine - they have an agreement that you get free chocolate samples specially chosen to pair with your wine. Yummy.

We tried the Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah and Petite Syrah.

They grow all the grapes on premises except the Chardonnay - wrong climate so they contract out the grapes.

My favorite was the Syrah - rich, decadent, lots of layers, and a firm finish.

We strolled the Farmer's Market, picked up some home made granola, some fresh made tamales, and a basket of huge/sweet strawberries.

The rest of the day was just relaxing at home before dinner.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #17509
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Photographed some poppies at sunrise in the local meadow. Happy how they came out since the prior few sunrise trips didn't turn out so well.

Then went to REI used gear sale and bought a ton of stuff: 6-man tent, dual burner stove, merrill shoes -- all ~50% off new price and probably only used once or twice.

Now enjoying my coffee and it's only 9
Old 06-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #17510
Recycles dryer sheets

Drizzly day outside today. Got outside to hoe around my potato plants for a bit, but very content to watch streaming live coverage of the 24 Hours of LeMans. 6 hours in, and 18 more to go, LMP1 class is a battle between Porsche and Audi.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #17511

Spent the morning working in the yard. We leave on our "big trip" this week so we had to get it as organized, weeded, etc before we leave. Hedges are trimmed, our patch of dead lawn is mowed. (Mostly dead - there are a few spots were there's enough condensation drip from the plants near by that the grass grows.)

Now I'm doing massive amounts of laundry.

We cleaned out the fridge yesterday - tossing everything we won't consume before we leave.

Oh - and got the suitcases out of the attic and started packing. I already had piles started... now the piles are in the suitcases.

Only 5 more sleeps before we head out on our "trip of a lifetime" adventure.

Tonight we're going to a potluck party for older son's baseball team. Hopefully no broken bones tonight. I think I'll wrap both boys in bubble wrap before we go.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #17512
Give me a forum ...

Baseball watching today...Red Sox lost in OT, Mets still playing.

The weather forecast of alternating days of thunderstorms is making to tough for me to get my boat launched. I talked to the boat guy today and he said no worries, we will get it done. I have no trailer hitch on my Ford Escape, so I depend on the boat storage guys to get me to the boat launch at the state park. Having them launch me each year is still cheaper and easier than what it would take for me to own an 8 cylinder tow vehicle.

My outdoor container garden is kickin' butt and taking names. I enjoyed some baby Chinese pod peas today, picked at no more than 2 inches long. I saw blossoms just forming on my Sweet 100 tomatoes, started from seed back in February and continuously trimmed back to form a bush. I have fabulous beet greens ready for the sauté pan with olive oil and garlic. There are some decent sized Forono beets (oblong not round shape) down below. I will boil and pickle those if they are not too woody. The red onion sets are a constant source of clipped green onion tops. My window box leaf lettuce is just about salad size. No slugs, no dirt splashes, just cut enough outer leaves to fill a bowl, chill for an hour, and eat. Unbelievable flavor !

Mr B continues his studying and is actually scoring better on the practice tests. I keep myself well occupied while his nose is in the books.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #17513
Give me a forum ...

What have I done today?

Not much, other than making several BS'ing posts here, interspersed with poking out in the backyard spraying some mud daubers with mixed success. It's hot out there, yet is supposedly only 105F. I should have stayed up in the NW. Oh well, I am going up to my high-country boondock place next week.

Is it too late now to take an afternoon nap?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #17514
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
... I enjoyed some baby Chinese pod peas today, picked at no more than 2 inches long...
My snow peas were climbing up the trellis I made, when I left home in mid April. It was already getting warm, so I suspected they would not last long. I left everything on the sprinkler timer.

When I came back two months later from my RV trek, there were no signs of them left. Totally annihilated by the heat. In their place were large clumps of mints. These love the heat and thrive.

Oh well, I need to start the peas way earlier next year.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #17515

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Spent the morning working in the yard. We leave on our "big trip" this week so we had to get it as organized, weeded, etc before we leave. Hedges are trimmed, our patch of dead lawn is mowed. (Mostly dead - there are a few spots were there's enough condensation drip from the plants near by that the grass grows.)

Now I'm doing massive amounts of laundry.

We cleaned out the fridge yesterday - tossing everything we won't consume before we leave.

Oh - and got the suitcases out of the attic and started packing. I already had piles started... now the piles are in the suitcases.

Only 5 more sleeps before we head out on our "trip of a lifetime" adventure.

Tonight we're going to a potluck party for older son's baseball team. Hopefully no broken bones tonight. I think I'll wrap both boys in bubble wrap before we go.
Given your luck - I would
Old 06-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #17516
Give me a forum ...

Last night went to a 120th birthday party! Actually a married couple that both turn 60 this year, creative idea. Great time with fun people. Including several former Megacorp co-w*rkers, all but one retired. Three of them I consider mentors, including the wonderful woman that took a chance, and hired me. She was a huge positive influence on my career. The male half of birthday couple I w*rked before Megacorp in a different career, one of the very first people I met in '78 when DW and I transplanted to this area. We've stayed in touch since then.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #17517

Husband is backpacking with our daughter as his Father's Day gift - she made all the arrangements, got the permits, food, etc. - so I'm here feeling a bit sorry for myself because I love backpacking. But, have stayed very busy putting the yard back together after getting the house painted, baking and freezing cookies, washing the car, and reading an excellent book that is on par with what Ernie Zelinsky puts out for retirement, called 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think by Laura Vanderkam. The book challenges readers to track exactly how they spend their time over the course of a 168 hour week, then compare the list to see how much time is really spent pursuing satisfying activities vs time wasted on things that don't deliver similar satisfaction. It's been very eye opening!

Chapter Two's exercise was to come up with a list of 100 Dreams. I came up with 150 in about an hour, and can't wait to share them with my husband when he returns home. Some great stuff on that list I'd forgotten had once been things we wanted to do, like bike the Oregon coastline, run the Vancouver BC Half Marathon, and backpack Mt. Rainier's Wonderland Trail. Time well spent, I must say!
Old 06-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #17518

Slow quiet Sunday breakfast w/ the family, then the usual grocery run for the week's supplies.

Got everything put away.

Got DW to go on a walk with me into the PQ Preserve - walked to the historic Ranch House, then on the way back we saw a bobcat on the trail! Way cool - backed away slowly.

Had a nice lunch of leftover salad.

Prepped some wild sockeye salmon fillets and shrimp for dinner later - will grill them up and serve with wild rice and steamed veggies.

Sipping a nice red now and listening to jazz before dinner.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #17519
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Roasted a chicken.
Helped pick a crab.
Observed the beehive being examined.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #17520
Give me a forum ...

Have done nothing today, other than making a quick dash to Costco to get some sirloin steaks.

Sous vide again, for dinner with our children and my mom. This 3rd time, I coated the steaks with garlic, black pepper, and thyme before bagging them. No salt, as that may draw out all the moisture. It is all brewing in the home-made sous vide pot.

As I cut the pack's shrink wrap, noticed that the label said "USDA Prime". This is going to be good. Dinner at 6PM. My daughter is bringing some side dishes. And my mom is excited to see what this sous vide is all about.

Closed Thread