Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #17601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eighteen sockets in the bedroom?!? You can plug in enough appliances there to set the room on fire!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #17602
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eighteen sockets in the bedroom?!? You can plug in enough appliances there to set the room on fire!
That is what I was thinking! I guess I have a lot of choices for where to plug in the television.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #17603
Give me a forum ...

Well, they may be all on one 15A breaker, so it would still be safe if you get carried away.

In my home, when I overloaded one socket, the next room's TV shut off.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #17604
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, they may be all on one 15A breaker, so it would still be safe if you get carried away.

In my home, when I overloaded one socket, the next room's TV shut off.
Well, it has a 125 amp circuit breaker box, so it could be worse. I guess it was upgraded at some point during the past 50 years.

There's only one of me, so when I am in a room there isn't a TV turned on in the next room.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #17605
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

W2R, Have a great move! Sorry you had to stand outside in the heat........doesn't Frank live next door......
Old 06-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #17606
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm so happy for you, W2R! I hope the closing and the move go smoothly.

Our house is from 1955 (like us) and 2 of our bedrooms have 4 outlets (2 plugs each). The other 2 bedrooms have just 3. The living room has 5! The kitchen had 3 but we added 2 more many years ago and upgraded the electrical service to the whole house.

Living here in the age of multiple computers, TVs and cable boxes, microwaves and extra kitchen appliances has been a challenge. We use a lot of power strips (with surge protectors).
Old 06-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #17607
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I did an addition, I put in double the amount of outlets expected in that space. In the rest of the house the outlets are all in the middle of the wall, right behind some piece of furniture. Makes vacuuming a PIA
Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #17608
Moderator Emeritus

W2R, The best way to handle your electrical needs will be by underground circuit from Frank's House. Throw a 100 amp breaker in his panel, run a line from it over to your place to a new sub panel. Then move your most used circuits to the new subpanel.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #17609
Give me a forum ...

Both my homes have a 200A panel. The heat pump is already 50A, the range and dryer 30A each. The problem is that in the metropolitan home which is a tract home, they go cheap and make several outlets in more than one room share a 15A circuit. And this is a 2,700-sq.ft. home. When two heavy appliances are plugged in at the same time, such as a hair dryer, an iron, or a space heater, there goes the TV, the computer, or whatever happens to be on that breaker.

In the other home which is smaller at 1,800 sq.ft., there's no sharing circuits between rooms. In fact, I have 2 15A breakers serving each bedroom. Never have a breaker pop.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #17610
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
W2R, The best way to handle your electrical needs will be by underground circuit from Frank's House. Throw a 100 amp breaker in his panel, run a line from it over to your place to a new sub panel. Then move your most used circuits to the new subpanel.
He might have a thing or two to say about that!

Likewise, it will be interesting to see if we can pick up each other's secure wi-fi network if we share passwords. I don't think we'd normally share internet (and just pay one bill instead of two) because it wouldn't seem right to us, but sharing could be handy on a temporary basis if one of us has an equipment failure.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #17611
Give me a forum ...

You should be able to see his WiFi signal. If not, a 25dB-gain Yagi antenna will come in handy, and costs a mere $13 from Amazon. The harder part is to beat the password out of Frank, if he does not give it up voluntarily. Or it may not be too difficult for you, as I recall that you lift weight regularly.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #17612
Give me a forum ...

Most routers have a guest feature that allows internet access, but not access to the other computers or devices on the LAN.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #17613
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You should be able to see his WiFi signal. If not, a 25dB-gain Yagi antenna will come in handy, and costs a mere $13 from Amazon. The harder part is to beat the password out of Frank, if he does not give it up voluntarily. Or it may not be too difficult for you, as I recall that you lift weight regularly.

I have to get one of those - I desperately need Wi-fi in my detached workshop.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #17614
Give me a forum ...

Sure. Get an external USB WiFi dongle that comes with an antenna connection, if you do not have one already. That will cost another $10 or less.

Unscrew the rubber ducky, and replace it with the boom antenna. You will be surfin' the Web.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:01 PM   #17615
Moderator Emeritus

DW and I spent the last few days helping friends recover their remaining belongings from their tornado damaged homes. Almost everything had to be trashed. Some of the homes will have to rebuilt from the foundation up. A great way to declutter, but not one that I want to try.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #17616
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sure. Get an external USB WiFi dongle that comes with an antenna connection, if you do not have one already. That will cost another $10 or less.

Unscrew the rubber ducky, and replace it with the boom antenna. You will be surfin' the Web.

Thanks for posting - I can slap one of those on my old laptop and surf away in my own little man cave. Now I just need a Lazy Boy recliner.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #17617
Give me a forum ...

Long but good day. Left the house ~7:30 am. Met a friend and traveled to a golf course my Thursday golf group played about 1 1/2 hours away, having breakfast along the way. 18 holes and then the 19th hole while the scores were tallied. Finished in the middle of the pack. Drove back and we met another friend for drinks and dinner at a local restaurant. Got home about 8 pm.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #17618
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DW is having her ladies group here today and I am captain for the pontoon boat ride. Enjoy your time on the water!
It was fabulous ! A bit windy with 1 foot waves in one section, but relatively calmer on the rest. I cruised around for about 45 minutes.

I got to the dock slip, killed the engine, and proceeded to empty out all of the compartments and allow things to dry out. The boat was uncovered for 3 weeks because I was unable to get it launched. My gardening buddy showed up and helped me clean the interior surfaces bow to stern. After we downed some delicious cheeseburgers, we went back down to the dock to go for a spin.
I did all of the usual pre-starting procedures, turned the key and nothing. There is power to my dashboard instruments, just no reaction from the ignition switch. I fiddled with the throttle/shift control, and still nothing. Hmmm...it started just fine at the launch ramp.
I will go back with a multimeter and troubleshoot the ignition switch and in line fuses. I was pretty sunburnt on my shoulders and upper chest, so I decided it was more prudent to get out of the sun.
The boat is safe and happy at the dock slip. If I cannot figure it out, I can call in the boat guys to troubleshoot it at the dock. No need to get it towed off the water at this point. No worries.
Worst case I am looking at a new ignition switch module and/or a throttle/control unit. I can install the ignition switch. The control unit is best left for the pros.

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand
Old 06-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #17619
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
.... BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand
Never heard that one! How true.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #17620
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for posting - I can slap one of those on my old laptop and surf away in my own little man cave. Now I just need a Lazy Boy recliner.

Recliner with built-in wifi? Sounds like a business opportunity, for someone so reclined...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread