what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quiet Sunday breakfast, just DW & I - the boys were off volunteering for a trail maintenance group in the PQ Preserve.

Then the usual Sunday grocery run.

Got DW to go on a hike with me in the PQ Preserve - took her to the new footbridge over the creek and on a nice shaded trail. Her pedometer tracked us walking 3.7 miles, nice hike.

Fiddled about in the garden for bit, made up some hamburger patties for dinner, then relaxed on the patio until dinner.

Burgers were tasty - esp with a nice CA Zin.

Watched PBS in the evening, getting sucked into the new series The Crimson Field (a bit intense but good so far).

Never heard that one! :LOL::LOL: How true.

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand

How about this one ?
A BOAT is a hole in the water that you pour money into so you don't sink.

It has been raining almost every day here, so I still have to get over and do my preliminary debugging (fuses, voltage checks at ignition module, loose connection hunting, etc) before I call in the experts. The fact that it started with no problem at the launch, but then failed to start again after an extended ride over semi-rough water points to a vibration related issue (loose or corroded connection). I did not dislodge anything while cleaning.
If it turns out I need a new throttle/shift control unit, I'll get that ordered and convince the boat repair guy to install it at the dock, with me assisting (handing him tools, helping with multimeter check).

I'm optimistic. I can still enjoy the waterfront and swim off the dock until I get the problem resolved. Just think of the gas I'll save. :D

The next three days are going to be wet, so I will get cracking on the web and see if I can find/order an electrical system diagram for the system. It would be really great if I could order an engine manual. I'm no stranger to small engine and basic automotive engine mechanics.
And...I did score a 98 on the final for the US Power Squadron Marine Electronics course. I'll figure it out. :cool:

For today, I'm goofing off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation regarding the Duck Boat tour. :flowers: We have heard about it, but not sure if we'll do that or not.

Currently I'm in Boston. This afternoon we're going to a pahty....ayuh.

If you REALLY want to score big with the locals, tell them you are from the same state that produced Brock Holt. Guaranteed free beer ! :LOL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Holt

Of particular note...
In 2015, Holt made the opening day roster for the first time. On June 16th, 2015, Holt hit for the cycle against the Atlanta Braves at Fenway Park. He doubled, singled, and homered off of Julio Teheran, and completed it with a triple in the 8th off of Sugar Ray Marimon. In doing so he became the first Red Sox player to accomplish the feat in 19 years, since John Valentin in 1996.

Last edited:
Installed a new toilet! :dance:

Actually not a big deal. Costco has a dual flush unit for $85 that comes with everything you need including a wax ring, braided supply line and mounting bolts. So far I'm impressed with how water efficient it is - even has a slow close lid and it sits a little higher than the old unit.

My old American Standard toilets (three) were all original from 1966 and have never required a repair in the 25 years that I've lived here. I just decided that it was time to replace them with their 5 gallon flushes.

A few hours of kayaking then stop for coffee.

Went to the mancave, admired the scenery and watched a momma bird launch two fully grown chcicks out of the nest for their first flight. The chicks made lots of protestations and a lot of flapping of wings to land on my deck. After a few minutes they flew away following momma, to park themselves in a tree a few hundred feet away.

Their nest was under my awning. I was maybe five feet away in my lawn chair, nursing a glass of vino during the show. They were pretty well used to my presence.

Today's mission is to watch it rain and thunderstorm. Indoor projects are the order of the day.
I never run out of those. :LOL:

Sometimes I get antsy and perhaps a tad bored when stuck inside...but then I consider the alternative. 8 years ago I would have been returning from lunch and entering my w*rkplace dreading the proverbial 2 PM meeting from hell. The type of meeting where slides are presented in a semi darkened room and the audience struggles to stay awake. :nonono:

FIRE is good stuff. :cool:

Made my first purchase from Jet, an Amazon alternative start up.

Item was dog toothpaste. Amazon price - $11.65, Jet $7.59. Both with free shipping for over $35. I bought 5 boxes, I hope the dog lives long enough to use it all. :LOL:

Made my first purchase from Jet, an Amazon alternative start up.

Item was dog toothpaste. Amazon price - $11.65, Jet $7.59. Both with free shipping for over $35. I bought 5 boxes, I hope the dog lives long enough to use it all. :LOL:

I'm impressed. Tough enough to teach our dog to sit, much less to brush his teeth...

Went to Rialto Market and bought fruit, salad stuff, etc. Made lunch, packed up backpacks with towels and fruit. Went to the beach... Lido beach in Venice. Perfect day.

Kids had fun... but said they had strong preference for our "home" beach of La Jolla Shores. Definitely no boogie boarding/body surfing here. But the 14yo was fascinated that some of the women were topless.... But he commented that it was all "old ladies". LOL. I stayed proper and kept my bathing suit top on. I'm such a prude.

I do not have a dog, but if I did, I would not mind buying it a set of dentures because I do not see myself brushing its teeth.

The hard part was no thumb.
Did someone say dentures ?

dog-teeth-cleaning.jpg

That's a good set. Here's one where the owner was cheap.

21V6LQy.jpg

And some pooches whose owner didn't spend any money.

img_1609920_1_0a76bfe2b9dc87c165de07950de2ea2a.jpg

Last edited:
Recovering from DSIL's family visit. In two days, went kayaking on a local lake, took them indoor skydiving (totally awesome, by the way: https://www.iflyworld.com), spent a wonderful afternoon at a swimming hole fed by natural springs, and showed them how to watch soccer last night as the amazing USWNT played a fabulous game to beat Germany. Much fun was had by all. They left this morning for points east but will be back Sunday to spend the night before they head back to CO.

Day 2...it rained all day. No flooding here to be worried about, I am at higher elevation than the nearest river or lake.

I made a fabulous full plate sized Greek salad for lunch using homegrown Romaine lettuce, feta cheese, marinated tomato slices (oven baked in olive oil and sea salt), Kalamata olives, and....BACON.
I had to have something decadent in there. :D

I researched my boat engine online to see if I could find a repair manual and tips for troubleshooting a non-starting engine. Yes to both. The manual should be here in 3-5 business days. I'll watch the youtube videos in the meantime so I feel more confident about exactly what I am doing with the multimeter. I need to learn this stuff so I am not totally dependent on the boat repair shop.

I am watching the METS play the Cubs right now while Mr B studies. His first test is scheduled for July 7th. He'll do fine.

Last edited:
Installed a new toilet! :dance:

Actually not a big deal. Costco has a dual flush unit for $85 that comes with everything you need including a wax ring, braided supply line and mounting bolts. So far I'm impressed with how water efficient it is - even has a slow close lid and it sits a little higher than the old unit.

My old American Standard toilets (three) were all original from 1966 and have never required a repair in the 25 years that I've lived here. I just decided that it was time to replace them with their 5 gallon flushes.

I'm wondering.....on the dual flush, one is for liquid waste and the other for solid waste. But from a female perspective, does the lower flush just for liquids have enough of a flush to handle the paper that a female uses even when it's just #1? I suspect that I'm not the only one wondering if it's worth it to get the dual flush type and yeah, the toilet engineers must have considered this when designing this type of flush system.

I'd just like to know from a users experience if this works well.

We changed our old water wasting toilets with the 1.6 gal versions and they work well and save a lot of water. If we needed to replace these I'd want to consider the dual flush.

Last edited:
Went couch shopping with DW. The one she wants to replace really is worn out, it has holes in it, we bought it ~25 years ago so we got our nickel's worth. Spent $898 today, including delivery. Oh, well.

Having been married for a while now I knew the right answers to all the questions:

DW: "What do you think of that one?"

Me: "Yes, dear"

DW: "Do you like the color?"

DW: "Do you think it will work with what we already have?"

DW: "Should we buy it?"

I'm wondering.....on the dual flush, one is for liquid waste and the other for solid waste. But from a female perspective, does the lower flush just for liquids have enough of a flush to handle the paper that a female uses even when it's just #1? I suspect that I'm not the only one wondering if it's worth it to get the dual flush type and yeah, the toilet engineers must have considered this when designing this type of flush system.

I'd just like to know from a users experience if this works well.

We changed our old water wasting toilets with the 1.6 gal versions and they work well and save a lot of water. If we needed to replace these I'd want to consider the dual flush.

Ours is a dual flush but that's because it's a low water version that does not clear everything away no matter whether #1 or #2. It won't always clear the toilet paper!!! I hate the stupid thing.:mad:

what did you do today?

Moved into my dream home! It is a dream come true for me, and it already feels more like home than the other place ever did.

The movers worked hard and got the job done, despite torrential rains and heavy winds which began just as they were finishing up. They didn't damage my new easy chair or anything else as far as I can tell so far.

I'm utterly exhausted and every muscle and joint in my body hurts, but finally I'm home. Tonight we are going out for a steak dinner to celebrate. Since we live right next door to one another now, that should be pretty simple to do.

Went to the doctors for a full followup checkup as we had to change our medical plan/carrier (grrrr).

I went in earlier to have a full blood test done and we were supposed to go over the results. Turns out they only ran the test to see if I had the measles anti-body. So now I have to go back for another fasting style blood test. Grrrr.

Blood pressure a bit high, could loose about 10lbs, and up the cardio regime.

Took oldest son to our specialty butcher so he could pick out what he wants dad to cook up for his birthday tomorrow. Turns out he wanted to try Buffalo Ribeyes! Ok - you get what you want! We ordered a pastrami sandwich to go to take home to eat....omg...to die for good!

Now - just relaxing, rocking out before steaming up some tamales, pan fry up some quesadillas, rice & beans for dinner.

Moved into my dream home! It is a dream come true for me, and it already feels more like home than the other place ever did.

The movers worked hard and got the job done, despite torrential rains and heavy winds which began just as they were finishing up. They didn't damage my new easy chair or anything else as far as I can tell so far.

I'm utterly exhausted and every muscle and joint in my body hurts, but finally I'm home. Tonight we are going out for a steak dinner to celebrate. Since we live right next door to one another now, that should be pretty simple to do.

OK, I got the bed made and my coffeemaker is set up for tomorrow morning so I can sleep well tonight.
6978-albums71-picture641.gif
The rest can wait.

Ours is a dual flush but that's because it's a low water version that does not clear everything away no matter whether #1 or #2. It won't always clear the toilet paper!!! I hate the stupid thing.:mad:
I have not replaced mine, but I recently stayed in a timeshare that had a low-flow toilet that worked surprisingly well. I recalled people cursing low-flow toilets that ended up using more water because they had to be flushed twice. I think they do make them better now. It's early adopter's pain, as usual.

How many tons is the move equivalent to?

Congrats, enjoy the settling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom