Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #17681
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went hiking this week near the Palisades reservoir by Yellowstone. It's beautiful country, even though the "carry bear spray!" and "warning! Grizzly country!" signs were spooky. We didn't see any bears, but after 8 miles of hiking, the trail broke loose under my left foot, and found myself traveling head-first downhill on my back. I could tell I was speeding up- the slope was very steep. My head bounced off a few rocks, but fortunately stopped after ~25 feet, upside down, just a couple feet before the river. The CAT scan said I was OK, and I have some staples in my head and road rash on my back. It was interesting how fast the whole thing happened, and how little control I had.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #17682

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
I went hiking this week near the Palisades reservoir by Yellowstone. It's beautiful country, even though the "carry bear spray!" and "warning! Grizzly country!" signs were spooky. We didn't see any bears, but after 8 miles of hiking, the trail broke loose under my left foot, and found myself traveling head-first downhill on my back. I could tell I was speeding up- the slope was very steep. My head bounced off a few rocks, but fortunately stopped after ~25 feet, upside down, just a couple feet before the river. The CAT scan said I was OK, and I have some staples in my head and road rash on my back. It was interesting how fast the whole thing happened, and how little control I had.
Dang! You are lucky!

Still - coulda been worse - you could have slid down the river next to a bear fishing in the river and it turned its attention to you.

We were hiking in Sedona a couple of years back when we met some folks on the trail coming back the other way - said they heard a bear. We turned around too - don't like bears.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #17683
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh man! That was scary. At least you are OK, and only have some scars to show for it.

I am heading up to my high-country hideout later today to escape the heat. I should have spent more time up there, but there's always something to keep me in town. Maybe my wife is a bit reluctant to leave her veggie garden unattended.

The cell phone data is very limited up there, because ATT network is not present, and they limit out-of-network data to a stinkin' 400MB per billing cycle. So, maybe y'all will not see me here much until I am back in town.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #17684
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Whoa! Take care of yourself and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #17685
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post

We were hiking in Sedona a couple of years back when we met some folks on the trail coming back the other way - said they heard a bear. We turned around too - don't like bears.
Last weekend we turned around because of something much smaller, bees.

We were hiking in a remote corner of a local park when we found a women stripped to her underwear. She had been stung all over her legs a bit further down the trail. We tried to call the park rangers but we had no cell phone signal. She did not seem to have an allergic reaction to the stings so we attended to her ourselves because I always carry a well-stocked emergency kit. While doing so, a trail runner passed us. We warned her about the bees but she did not listen. Five minutes later, she came running back, screaming. Some people always have to know better. Anyway, we decided to turn around and find an alternate trail.

I wish you a prompt recovery, tfudtuckerpucker.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #17686
Recycles dryer sheets

Test-driving RE today ... actually have been more or less doing that all week and really can't figure out how I had time to hold down a full-time demanding job.

So today has been a day of logistics and errands for the most part. Driving DS to class, then helping DW move around some furniture in the ongoing effort to convert the guest room into my office ... made a few trades closing out or rolling my positions for the week ahead of the long weekend ... setting up my new home trade station ... prepping the house for the inlaws' arrival later today ...

On the + side, I did get in a nice 5-ish mi run with DW and I'm going to go surfing after lunch if it's not too windy; the swell is poor but it's turning into a nice beach day and not nearly as much of a crowd as there will be tomorrow and through the weekend.

Dinner out with friends this evening planned. So far so good!
Old 07-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #17687

Drove all over town, or it seemed that way. First stop the hospital to get some stuff for DW to swallow for an upcoming CT scan. She's had a recurring but intermittent pain in her side that the docs say is a pulled muscle but it keeps returning so this is an effort to figure out what it is, or confirm what it is. She even went to the emergency room once for it because the pain was so intense.

Then to the gym nearby, opticians to pick up some contact lenses, grocery store for grapes and blueberries (great summertime snack) then the library to return books and pick up new ones. Came home for a late lunch.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #17688
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started participating in a healthy coaching research study at the Healthy Aging Lab in the Department of Psychology at our local college. I met with my health coach and we came up with 3 goals for the next 3 weeks and then my ultimate goal by Halloween. I had to answer several questions, had my height and weight taken and my waist circumference measured. Then had to wear a heart monitor and do some aging tests on a computer. She gave me a watch to wear that shows steps taken, calories burned, heart rate, how long I have walked and that will measure my sleep and how long I am in the different stages of sleep. I will be meeting with her once per week for 3 weeks and they will download the information from the watch and to see how my goals are coming along. Later on, don't remember when, I will complete information on my computer regarding how things are going. This watch and knowing that they will be looking at it, was great encouragement to go for a long walk today.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #17689
Give me a forum ...

I went for my physical and female tune-up (pelvic/pap/breast exam) today. I blew it off last year, just because. I got a small medical nag for that.

My blood pressure is 118/67.
I am 10 lbs lighter than I was 2 years ago
I wrote up a list of symptoms (mostly menopausal) and non-serious but annoying stuff that has been bothering me. The doc loved the pre-written list because it gave her something to review quickly instead of spending time with time consuming Q&A.
Her blood work Rx was based on my symptom report plus the usual stuff.
I also wrote up a list of activities I had been doing to overcome the menopausal stuff, diet changes, and reading a variety of self-help books written by MDs. The doctor's comment was that in all her years of medicine, she had never seen a patient do so many proactive things for herself.

Once I get a few tests run, I go back in 3 weeks to go over the results. Nothing serious going on, but chronic enough issues that I needed to report them.

I'm glad I went.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #17690

Great job Freebird! Good bp, lost weight and being proactive. You go girl!
Old 07-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #17691
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Great job Freebird! Good bp, lost weight and being proactive. You go girl!
Thanks

Most of my major symptoms are sleep disruption, low energy, and general crabbiness. When these become chronic, it lowers quality of life.

The book that helped me the most was The Wisdom of Menopause by Christiane North. Other ones were the Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress Free Living by Amit Sood and The Positive Thinking Secret by Brad Collins. I have others, but these were the best.

I know most of the forum members are guys, but for you ladies and the guys who have ladies in their lives, trust me...menopausal symptoms are real.
I have been struggling with physical and psychological issues brought on by hormonal changes for several months. The books really helped me understand that I'm not going crazy (-ier ) and there are positive things I can do to help with that.

Knowledge is power !
Old 07-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #17692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I started participating in a healthy coaching research study at the Healthy Aging Lab in the Department of Psychology at our local college. I met with my health coach and we came up with 3 goals for the next 3 weeks and then my ultimate goal by Halloween. I had to answer several questions, had my height and weight taken and my waist circumference measured. Then had to wear a heart monitor and do some aging tests on a computer. She gave me a watch to wear that shows steps taken, calories burned, heart rate, how long I have walked and that will measure my sleep and how long I am in the different stages of sleep. I will be meeting with her once per week for 3 weeks and they will download the information from the watch and to see how my goals are coming along. Later on, don't remember when, I will complete information on my computer regarding how things are going. This watch and knowing that they will be looking at it, was great encouragement to go for a long walk today.
I'm glad you are motivated to improve your health, but the thought that "they" are monitoring your watch....ugghhhh...rubs me the wrong way...just me.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #17693

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Most of my major symptoms are sleep disruption, low energy, and general crabbiness.
DW was complaining about exactly this set of symptoms, and I suggested she join me in taking daily supplements of CoQ10 and magnesium. That was about 5-6 weeks ago, and just the other day she commented that the symptoms were greatly diminished.

For magnesium, around 300-400 mg per day is a good amount. You want the chelated form, so look for magnesium citrate or magnesium aspartate, or magnesium citrimate.

For CoQ10, around 100 mg per day is a good amount, unless you have been taking statins, in which case you would want to double or triple that amount.

As always, don't just take my word for it, and do your own research, but these are pretty useful supplements IMHO.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #17694

Quote:
Glad you are ok, but I am tired of this hospital stuff already. Spent the day at the hospital. My friend's brain surgery went like a textbook operation. He was doing great and then unthinkingly blew his nose. That is how they did the operation so he might have set himself back. I'll check in on him in a little while before heading back across the city.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #17695
Recycles dryer sheets

No hospital visits for me (thank God). Just work and food store. Maybe going to see fireworks with a few friends tonight.

Have not slept well the last three nights. I just might stay home and pack it in early.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #17696

Slept in, did some shopping for our trip, took a nap then went to dinner with DW and 2 DS. Total bill $310!! Had gift cards which covered first $250, leaving a $60 tip on a net $50 bill seemed strange, but the food and service were worth it! Now back to the LBYM hat we have lived for the past 5+ years!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #17697
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I wrote up a list of symptoms (mostly menopausal) and non-serious but annoying stuff that has been bothering me. The doc loved the pre-written list because it gave her something to review quickly instead of spending time with time consuming Q&A.

Great job on losing weight . Menopause is awful but it does eventually end .
Old 07-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #17698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Menopause is awful but it does eventually end .

As the spouse of a menopausal woman, I hope it ends soon!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #17699

Finished our 4 day leisurely drive to our rental cabin in FairPlay, CO for the month.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:04 AM   #17700
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
DW was complaining about exactly this set of symptoms, and I suggested she join me in taking daily supplements of CoQ10 and magnesium. That was about 5-6 weeks ago, and just the other day she commented that the symptoms were greatly diminished.

For magnesium, around 300-400 mg per day is a good amount. You want the chelated form, so look for magnesium citrate or magnesium aspartate, or magnesium citrimate.

For CoQ10, around 100 mg per day is a good amount, unless you have been taking statins, in which case you would want to double or triple that amount.

As always, don't just take my word for it, and do your own research, but these are pretty useful supplements IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Great job on losing weight . Menopause is awful but it does eventually end .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
As the spouse of a menopausal woman, I hope it ends soon!
I'll check with my doc to see if those supplements are ok to take with the medicine I am currently on for the symptoms. I've heard of them but not in the context of helping with menopausal symptoms.

Eventually ends ? I've heard that rumor. Exercise seems to be the best antidote for the crabbiness...it takes my mind off it. The Mayo Clinic Guide book has some great ideas for improving mental outlook in the face of stress. The stressing part of these symptoms is I wish they would go away, but they persist, day after day after day. The hot flashes keep me indoors
in AC on nice warm summer days, and interrupt my sleep at night. The frustration of dealing with that takes a toll after a while.

In spite of all that, I shall prevail !