Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 PM   #17901
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
It looks like you are putting in a garden window. That should be very nice. The drawing shows the beam across the top of the window will be removed. I would guess the drawing is conceptual and not the exact plan?

The garden window is actually pre-existing, from about 8 years ago. The drawing is conceptual, from one of the 20/20 CAD packages, this one specific for cabinetry. (They make canned CAD software that is behind many 'design' websites, among other things.)

There is lots of lighting and electrical work in this job.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #17902
Moderator Emeritus

Finished the screened in patio last night in 100 F heat. It's not letting up. Well, it's mostly finished except for the ceiling fan (on order) and a carpet.

IMG_20150730_114944875.jpg

IMG_20150730_115019813.jpg
Old 07-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #17903

Drove my trusty Prius up onto a curb (on purpose) first thing this morning so I could crawl under it and duct tape up a panel under the engine that fell down yesterday. Thank goodness for Prius Chat forums - turns out this is a common issue with 2010 Priii and is not serious. It needs an oil change anyway so made an appointment to take it in tomorrow morning. I can't complain - this is the first repair of any kind it has needed and it's 5 years old.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #17904
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Finished the screened in patio last night in 100 F heat. It's not letting up. Well, it's mostly finished except for the ceiling fan (on order) and a carpet.
aja, It looks great. Are you going to put a small pad of brick or concrete at the door?
Old 07-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #17905
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
aja, It looks great. Are you going to put a small pad of brick or concrete at the door?
Thanks Billie!

Yes, that's the next project (they seem to never end). I will dig an area out and either pour a small pad or use blocks to form a location for our Weber gas grill. I brought natural gas to the patio column already. Nothing too big, just enough for the grill and some movement.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #17906

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Drove my trusty Prius up onto a curb (on purpose) first thing this morning so I could crawl under it and duct tape up a panel under the engine that fell down yesterday. Thank goodness for Prius Chat forums - turns out this is a common issue with 2010 Priii and is not serious. It needs an oil change anyway so made an appointment to take it in tomorrow morning. I can't complain - this is the first repair of any kind it has needed and it's 5 years old.
DD has a Prius that is 10 years old and has 150k miles on it. She took a short cut coming up here last week. Its actually a 4-wheeler back road. It had rained so the puddles were full. She tried to go up on the side of one puddle and the front end slid down into the puddle and got stuck. She probably would have made it if her tires weren't close to bald. The water was so deep and she was at such an angle that she could not open the driver's side door without getting water in the car. She had to crawl out the passenger side. She had just enough cell reception to get a couple of text messages out and get some help from up here. Most of the time she does fine on that trail. Bet you didn't know you could use your Prius as a 4-wheeler!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #17907
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm watching the 9th inning of a METS-Padres game that got interrupted by downpours and thunder/lightning. Padres need 2 runs to tie it, with 2 outs.

Mr B is studying.

We made homemade medium hot Italian, Polish, German, and Breakfast sausage earlier today. He caught a good deal on 14.5 lbs of pork butt at $1.69/lb, so I fired up the stand mixer and used the meat grinder system.
I made up patties and left the rest as loose Italian sausage for pizza and stuffing peppers.

2 Padres on base...LETS GO METS !
Oh no...3 run homer. Argh. Bottom half of the 9th will be interesting. It's raining like hell again in NYC.
The grounds crew is definitely earning their paycheck today.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #17908
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm watching the 9th inning of a METS-Padres game that got interrupted by downpours and thunder/lightning. Padres need 2 runs to tie it, with 2 outs.

Mr B is studying.

We made homemade medium hot Italian, Polish, German, and Breakfast sausage earlier today. He caught a good deal on 14.5 lbs of pork butt at $1.69/lb, so I fired up the stand mixer and used the meat grinder system.
I made up patties and left the rest as loose Italian sausage for pizza and stuffing peppers.

2 Padres on base...LETS GO METS !
Oh no...3 run homer. Argh. Bottom half of the 9th will be interesting. It's raining like hell again in NYC.
The grounds crew is definitely earning their paycheck today.
I think you are safe in the Mets winning.

The Padres are terrible this year.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #17909
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
I think you are safe in the Mets winning.

The Padres are terrible this year.
Not quite...Padres are ahead 8-7, game is in rain delay (again), grounds crew finally got the infield covered, and the game just might continue. METS have "last ups", unless the umps call the game over.
Kind of a wet cliff-hanger going on.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #17910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
DD has a Prius that is 10 years old and has 150k miles on it. She took a short cut coming up here last week. Its actually a 4-wheeler back road. It had rained so the puddles were full. She tried to go up on the side of one puddle and the front end slid down into the puddle and got stuck. She probably would have made it if her tires weren't close to bald. The water was so deep and she was at such an angle that she could not open the driver's side door without getting water in the car. She had to crawl out the passenger side. She had just enough cell reception to get a couple of text messages out and get some help from up here. Most of the time she does fine on that trail. Bet you didn't know you could use your Prius as a 4-wheeler!
Great story, Hermit! Hope she got new tires...
Old 07-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #17911
Administrator

Was out house hunting with my brothers today. I am always surprised at how poorly maintained some properties are. In some cases just a few $$ can add a great deal to the selling price. Still, it was productive outing and we ended the day with optimism.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #17912

Today is the last day DW's grandnieces will be visiting close by. The older one needed a break from the younger one (older one is an introvert, younger is serious extrovert) so came over here for a few hours for some "down time".

Her other grandmother had asked me to do a photo like I did of the other one with "four" of them sitting at the kitchen table so I did that, the shoot lasted perhaps two minutes. Fifteen minutes or so in Photoshop and it's done. If you remember the old overhead projectors and clear plastic sheets to add graphics the idea is the same - four photos and hide or show parts of each one.

It is really too hot be outside for long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quad_girl.jpg (163.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #17913
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
AJ - Screened in Patio turned out real nice! Sounds like you may need ac in there.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #17914
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Early morning walk, shortened by rain.
Two loads in the dishwasher.
Laundry, on the line after storms.

Raided bee hive; will be making mead.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #17915
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
AJ - Screened in Patio turned out real nice! Sounds like you may need ac in there.
Thanks Ron! Everything needs A/C around here. And on the local news tonight, the power companies are talking peak shaving (aka, brownouts).
Old 07-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #17916
Give me a forum ...

For lack of better things to do, I looked at recent years' tax returns, and happened to spot an error in my 2012 tax that resulted in an overpayment of taxes.

Preparing the amended returns for both federal and state income taxes took me 2 or 3 hours. I will get $134 back, which is not that great considering the aggravations I caused myself with a dumb mistake. So, I am not happy although I will get some money back.

Quote:
Thanks Ron! Everything needs A/C around here. And on the local news tonight, the power companies are talking peak shaving (aka, brownouts).
I read on the Web that PG&E, the utility company in Northern CA, is looking into "bribing" EV owners to not charge their vehicles during peak hours. An EV like the Tesla can draw as much as 20kW for charging, while a typical home AC draws less than 10kW.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 AM   #17917
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Was out house hunting with my brothers today. I am always surprised at how poorly maintained some properties are. In some cases just a few $$ can add a great deal to the selling price. Still, it was productive outing and we ended the day with optimism.
Must've driven by my place...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 07-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #17918
Give me a forum ...

I'm holding down the fort waiting for the Time Warner tech to show up at noon. HBO On Demand and other On Demand channels are not functioning.
We've become fans of John Oliver on HBO On Demand, so Mr B got on the horn and scheduled the tech visit.

Mr B has gone hunter-gathering at BJ's and another bargain store. He is driving the wife of a vet friend who hates shopping by herself and needs assistance with the load at the store. Her husband has a bad knee. I hate grocery shopping with a passion.

The lawn needs mowing. Rain is forecast for the next few days. I suppose I'll motivate and hop on the lawn tractor after the tech leaves. Maybe...
Old 07-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #17919
Give me a forum ...

Got new cable internet service. ATT gave me a special one year price of $35/ month for internet and phone, but now that it is time for renewal they said pay $82 a month or look elsewhere. I called WOW and they quoted $25/ month for much faster internet only, so the land line is history.

When the cable guy showed up, I thought I was hosed, as he had to run a new line over 150 feet through the woods. Initially he balked, but I told him I'd help. I chain sawed down one tree and trimmed others and we got 'er done.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #17920

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Great story, Hermit! Hope she got new tires...
I gave her money for new tires last spring, but she is a real tightwad. She is waiting until they get down to the wear bars. (I think some of that must have rubbed off from her Dad!) If she doesn't want Dad nagging her, she will get new tires before it snows.
Closed Thread