Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #17961

Nice work, Senator. Do you hire out?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #17962
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Nice work, Senator. Do you hire out?
Thank you. My rentals keep me busy enough. I probably saved at least $2,000 on this job. And next time, it will be less work and easier to rent. I did quite a bit of work on this rental turn. There was quite a bit of deferred maintenance.

This is probably a $5,000+ savings in total.

New 50 amp outlet and electric stove
New Hot water heater
Fixed furnace exhaust
Fixed furnace drain line
Fixed kitchen sink leak
Fixed tub drain main line
Unclogged bathtub
Replaced tub drain pipes
Fixed leaking toilet flapper valve
Installed dishwasher
Installed kitchen outlets and kitchen light
Replaced all light fixtures
Fixed plaster coming off in hallway
Painted ceilings
Painted all walls
Cleaned up a lot of junk
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 08-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #17963
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Thank you. My rentals keep me busy enough. I probably saved at least $2,000 on this job. And next time, it will be less work and easier to rent. I did quite a bit of work on this rental turn. There was quite a bit of deferred maintenance.

This is probably a $5,000+ savings in total.

New 50 amp outlet and electric stove
New Hot water heater
Fixed furnace exhaust
Fixed furnace drain line
Fixed kitchen sink leak
Fixed tub drain main line
Unclogged bathtub
Replaced tub drain pipes
Fixed leaking toilet flapper valve
Installed dishwasher
Installed kitchen outlets and kitchen light
Replaced all light fixtures
Fixed plaster coming off in hallway
Painted ceilings
Painted all walls
Cleaned up a lot of junk
Very nice job on the kitchen upgrade. Working with lathe and plaster walls is messy and you have to do a lot of innovating, especially with old wiring and galvanized or cast iron plumbing.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #17964
Moderator Emeritus

Nice job, Senator! Remodeling an older home is a lot of work.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #17965
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
This is hanging out in the neighborhood recently. It drives the loons crazy and we're keeping close track of small dogs but it is still pretty cool to have it hanging around. A neighbor took the picture and I have yet to see it.
Reminds me of this shot I got (back in '04), drove home one day and saw it flying over the driveway carrying something. When I got up to the house it was perched in a tree about 125 yards out. Didn't have a decent telephoto lens at the time, actually got the pic using a cheap digital camera lined up through a spotting scope :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eaglewithraccoon.jpg (869.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #17966
Moderator Emeritus

There's always something, especially when doing a remodel.

Current tasks include painting and minor repairs in the pantry and laundry room, where one of the cats chewed and clawed up some of the molding around a door, and tracing a newly dead electrical line that feeds our dining room along with interior and exterior lighting.

It looks like the electrician cut the wire in one of the kitchen walls as part of the rewiring for code compliance, and the insulation and drywall were put up before the wire was reconnected to the new distribution panel. I wound up having to tone trace the power wire. Yuck.

I know what our contractor will be doing Monday morning. He won't be a happy camper...

Attachment 22148
Old 08-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #17967
Moderator Emeritus

Emergency appendectomy.

From "a little indigestion" on Wednesday morning to "almost ruptured" on Thursday afternoon was 30 hours. They were able to do laparoscopy instead of scalpel slashing. Everything came out all right (so to speak) and I was back home Friday afternoon on antibiotics. But I'm beached for four weeks, so it's a good thing that the surf forecast sucks.

It was a rude smack upside the head. When the pain woke me up Wednesday night I finally recognized that it was worse than mere gluttony. As I researched the symptoms, my reaction was "Seriously?!? I'm too old for this crap." But apparently appendicitis can hit you at any age.

We submariners have plenty of horrifying sea stories about doing appendicitis MEDEVACs. Now I'm really glad I never had the honor. I can't imagine having to deal with this crisis if I was working, let alone in uniform.

Tripler's ER staff asked about a gazillion times whether I had a medical directive and a will. (Ironically I was also asked whether I'm an organ donor: "You know why I'm here, right?") By the time my spouse and I realized that we needed to hustle to the ER, there was no time left for notaries or sharing logins/passwords.

Carpe diem, folks. And if your paperwork isn't ready to go then... get your stuff together.

Oh, and in that life-affirming theme, our daughter (in Rota, Spain) just announced her engagement. He's also a Navy Surface Warfare Officer like her (in Norfolk), USNA '14, and with an option to switch to the cyber warfare or info professional communities. They met at EKMS (crypto) school last fall. They're tentatively planning a 2017 wedding, although they may pull a marriage certificate much sooner if the assignment officers won't co-locate them.

My opinion doesn't get a vote but yes, the progeny of two USNA alumni is marrying a USNA alum. Clearly she has learned nothing, or perhaps he's an exceptional fiancé. I only know him from the 10-minute announcement phone call, and he made a good first impression.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #17968
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow Nords! Glad you're ok.

I had to go to the ER myself on Friday as my doc called and said my recent blood work showed my potassium was dangerously high and the situation could be life threatening. I got hooked up to gizmos and my blood was drawn. Thankfully my potassium was normal and I was able to walk out the door two hours later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Carpe diem, folks. And if your paperwork isn't ready to go then... get your stuff together.
I couldn't agree more.

...oh, and I imagine he's an exceptional fiancé.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #17969
Full time employment: Posting here.

A very boring but relaxing Sunday.

Made breakfast for the family, then got started on bbq'ing up a big ol' "butt" for pulled pork later.

Been watching, nursing, stoking, pacing...got the blues playing, smoke has been rolling, a cold beer...or two... Waiting for the temp to come up just right before resting. Then will start the cornbread and pull/plate some deliciousness.

Will zip the mouth as the family judging panel deliberates on the score. I think it'll be a good one this time!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #17970
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Emergency appendectomy.

Oh, and in that life-affirming theme, our daughter (in Rota, Spain) just announced her engagement.
Never a dull moment chez Nords! Congratulations on both events. I hope you heal rapidly. FWIW, I knew a little old lady of 90 who developed acute appendicitis. She did very well, but was unable to surf afterwards!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #17971
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Wow Nords! Glad you're ok.

I had to go to the ER myself on Friday as my doc called and said my recent blood work showed my potassium was dangerously high and the situation could be life threatening. I got hooked up to gizmos and my blood was drawn. Thankfully my potassium was normal and I was able to walk out the door two hours later.
The most common reason for a falsely high potassium level in blood is hemolysis (breakdown) of red blood cells in the collection vial. I'm glad it turned out well.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #17972
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The most common reason for a falsely high potassium level in blood is hemolysis (breakdown) of red blood cells in the collection vial. I'm glad it turned out well.

Hmmm, nice to have folks who know these things.

Many years ago I was in the hosp. As usual around midnight the vampire came by to get a sample. In the morning when I woke up and ambled over the window, I found my vial of blood on the window sill. It was mine since it was labeled with my name.

I hit the call button, a nurse showed up promptly, I just held up the vial. Her reaction? OH $HIT! fairly loud.

My guess they just tossed it. Incidentally later that day I walked out of there AMA. It is one of my prized paper possessions. The assigned attending doc was visibly and audibly pi$$ed. Ahem, so was I. The blood thing was just the final straw on the camel's back. I never bothered to find out what the medical director said to whom.

BTW the nursing was wonderfully outstanding, the doctoring sucked big time. I informed the hospital of that good feature as well.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #17973
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Thanks Meadbh.

I wasn't feeling well (my body seemed to be telling me I had an infection), so I went to my doc on Thursday. She had the nurses take my blood, checked me over, then decided to write a script for an antibiotic. The rise in my potassium could have been from the infection..I dunno. I had taken 3 pills before the ER adventure.

Scared the beejeebers out of me tho. I'll go for a followup with her tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #17974
Give me a forum ...

Appendectomy? ER room for life-threateningly high potassium? Thank heavens you two are OK. But gee, what's going on? And I have one to add:

We were in a car accident today. Neither of us was hurt, luckily! Just really shook up. The other car was doing a u-turn on a busy 6-lane divided street (Elysian Fields, for those who know New Orleans). He didn't see us, stomped on the accelerator and broadsided us pretty hard. F did some evasive maneuvers at the last minute (while I brilliantly screamed, "oh no!" ) which probably were why he didn't get seriously hurt. But still, his driver door will hardly close due to damage to the door and the metal surrounding it, and the driver's window won't operate. I'm sure insurance will pay for it and he has an appointment with his insurance people.

We called the police and waited for them to arrive so we could file a police report, but after 45 minutes of waiting the other driver left for work. Typical New Orleans. NOPD is understaffed and since there were no injuries, we were probably a pretty low priority.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #17975
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Scared the beejeebers out of me tho. I'll go for a followup with her tomorrow.
If it helps to read about it, try this:

Hyperkalemia: Get the Facts on Symptoms
Old 08-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #17976
Give me a forum ...

Thanks again Meadbh..

Knowledge is power; I'll read it later on tonight. I'm hoping like in Is99's situation, the sample was mishandled.

..and good grief, WTR...sure am glad you and your sweetie are ok! Man, these sudden events can sure throw us for a loop, can't they?
Old 08-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #17977
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Appendectomy? ER room for life-threateningly high potassium? Thank heavens you two are OK. But gee, what's going on? And I have one to add:

We were in a car accident today. Neither of us was hurt, luckily! Just really shook up. The other car was doing a u-turn on a busy 6-lane divided street (Elysian Fields, for those who know New Orleans). He didn't see us, stomped on the accelerator and broadsided us pretty hard. F did some evasive maneuvers at the last minute (while I brilliantly screamed, "oh no!" ) which probably were why he didn't get seriously hurt. But still, his driver door will hardly close due to damage to the door and the metal surrounding it, and the driver's window won't operate. I'm sure insurance will pay for it and he has an appointment with his insurance people.

We called the police and waited for them to arrive so we could file a police report, but after 45 minutes of waiting the other driver left for work. Typical New Orleans. NOPD is understaffed and since there were no injuries, we were probably a pretty low priority.
Sheesh! I'm glad you and Frank are OK.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #17978
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Replaced the alternator in the midlife-crisis-mobile. I'm at the point in my life where I'm willing to let the auto repair place do the harder stuff, but when they quoted me $900 the old gearhead inside rebelled. $330 and a dirty afternoon later all is good.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #17979
Moderator Emeritus

An appendectomy, life threatening emergency room visit, and a car accident. It's rough getting old. Hope you all can return to full enjoyment of your retirements soon!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #17980
Give me a forum ...

I just returned from a 4 day mini vacation in the foothills of the Adirondacks. Mr B is studying for test number 2 of 3, so he is glued to the computer screen for at least 4 hours per day. So I invaded my lady friend's house up north. We watched movies and ate frozen pizza, ice cream, and all sorts of terrible high carb stuff. I gained 2 lbs. Ah... so what, I'll just dance it off this week.
Tomorrow I get to try out my new weed remover. I am very happy to see that there are relatively inexpensive ergonomic and labor saving devices out there for us young'uns. See details here.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s00
I invited my gardening buddy up to "help" tomorrow. It will be funny to see who gets to use it more, him or me. I think we all know the answer to that.
I am devious, yes, but I do feed my yard slave very well.