what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and I went to see "Black Mass" yesterday. Very entertaining, and good to see Johnny Depp as a bad guy.

Today I got to spend two and a half hours at a kids zone for anyone fortunate enough to not know what that is it is a large warehouse area that houses numerous bounce areas and climbing walls that encourages kids to scream continuously while they also pipe in loud music . It's like chucky cheese on steroids . I was there for a birthday party . Seriously folks do the grandparents a favor & do not invite them to birthday parties at these places or chucky cheese we will still give presents .

Today I got to spend two and a half hours at a kids zone for anyone fortunate enough to not know what that is it is a large warehouse area that houses numerous bounce areas and climbing walls that encourages kids to scream continuously while they also pipe in loud music . It's like chucky cheese on steroids . I was there for a birthday party . Seriously folks do the grandparents a favor & do not invite them to birthday parties at these places or chucky cheese we will still give presents .

When my kids were small and we attended a few birthday parties at Chucky Cheese, I coined a joking phrase: Chucky Cheese birthday parties are God's way of punishing parents for having children! :D

What is with the screaming? I've been to several kids birthday parties (at people's homes) recently and the screaming was nonstop. My parents would have killed me if I had behaved like that.

What is with the screaming? I've been to several kids birthday parties (at people's homes) recently and the screaming was nonstop. My parents would have killed me if I had behaved like that.

I am seriously considering throwing earplugs in my purse for these events . My parents would have never allowed us to scream non stop .

My parents made it clear they would not attend kiddy birthday parties - but would be happy to host a family meal with cake/gift exchange. We took the hint.

I was so old when I had the boys that I expect to be senile and deaf when it's my turn. LOL.

Bi-annual physical today. All is well. Cholesterol is a little high, but in the range where he didn't feel compelled to insist that I start on statins but i could if I wanted to.... I decided not to do anything as my cholesterol has always been to the high end of the acceptable range and I don;t have any other risk factors. Weight was also higher... no surprise... but still in the ok range.

On the way home I hit a bad pothole and blew a tire.... luckily no big deal because the all seasons on the car were towards the end of their life and I was scheduled to put the almost new winters that I have on the car later this week so the blown tire will just cause me to do it tomorrow rather than Thursday as I had planned.

Just came back from an errand run to get booze. Stopped by Ikea per my wife's request, and saw that they put out Christmas decorations already.

Today in the mail came a bit of junk mail that I almost threw out without opening. Out of idle curiosity and while standing over the trash can I opened it and found a $1 bill. Hmmm... so I read the letter. It seems Nielsen values my opinion enough to actually pay for it, although not much. They want to know what radio station I listen to. This will be a short survey - only one station, that in the truck or car, and only when there is program material on. I hit the mute button for commercials.

The letter says someone will call. My phone is unlisted, it is on the "do not call" list, so I wonder if they will.

So if you get a letter from Nielsen, open it. I know all here would feel terrible about throwing money in the trash.:LOL:

I get surveys all the time with a fresh, crisp $1 bill in them. Occasionally even a $5 bill.

They assume you will be sufficiently impressed that you will actually answer them. And they're usually right.

I particularly like the wording in the ones I get from the WSJ. Something to the effect of "If you don't need the money, perhaps you can use it to brighten the day of a child you know." Now that, IMHO, is classy.

Dug a 140' trench for a downspout drain line. I used to have the downspout drain pop up about 20' from the house but it's kind of flat there and stays wet a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Dropped the boys off at the bus stop for school

Walked the dog on the beach.

Came home, took a shower in the outdoor shower.

Ran a quick estimate of taxes for 2015 using 2014 turbo tax to make sure I don't need to send in any estimated payments. (We haven't paid on rental income, but I had taxes taken out of my inherited IRA RMD and DH has fed tax taken out of his SS... so we're good.)

Baked banana bread with some VERY ripe bananas.

Picked up the boys from school.

Ate some banana bread with the boys.

Had a 'discussion' with Time Warner to figure out the cheapest option for me. Apparently my "starter tv" package was never billed. Now that they're going all digital, I need to get it added. (It had showed up on my statements as recently as the spring - but didn't show on the past few statements.) I ordered a cable card for my tivo ($2.50/month) and a digital adapter for the kitchen tv (which won't work with the old series 2 tivo we have so we'll mostly be over the air for the kitchen). The digital adapter is free till next December - so I'll return it at that point. My bill will increase $12.50 : $10 for the starter tv, $2.50 for the cable card. Not happy about that but it will still be under $60 for starter tv and standard internet... better than most folks. It will go up another $12 in a year and I'll probably cancel the video portion.

Now I'm going to start the cauliflower curry for dinner. My younger son requested it. Have to figure out what protein to put with it.

Still adjusting to my 0500 wake-up to put our new doggie out - he hasn't figured out that I really prefer to sleep until at least 6:30. At least I can go back to bed after he does his thing and comes back in.

After walk with said doggie and breakfast, caught up on e-mail and FB, made some phone calls to reschedule a meeting, and checked in with a friend recuperating from surgery. Paid bills and then realized I had the rest of the day to tackle a chore from my fall cleaning list. Decided to empty, clean and reorganize the pantry, as I recently spotted a few #$%^!@ pantry moths. (Had a really terrible infestation about 10 years ago - fortunately caught it much earlier this time.)

After emptying everything, I decided to go to the Container Store to get some new bins, etc. Stopped by Trader Joe's but they didn't have the 2 things I went in for (whole wheat fresh pizza dough and frozen sliced leeks).

Almost done putting everything back! :dance:

Attachments

• IMG_4470.jpg
    IMG_4470.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 34
I'm impressed MBAustin. Our house didn't come with a pantry - but we put shelves in a nearby coat/utilty closet and it does the job - but it's not nearly as pretty and organized as yours. I have pantry envy.

I thought I was the only one using a closet for a pantry. Ours is in our extra bedroom/office. It's not close to the kitchen but it was available space so that's what I use. It holds A LOT OF STUFF while our kitchen cabinets are small and it's very hard to reach things in back in the lower cabinets.

Nice job, MBAustin. Count me as another one with pantry envy.

We have two pantries. Neither is as organized as that one. Add another to the pantry envy list.

We just spent a few days painting and reorganizing our pantry and it's not even close to MBAustin's level of pantry organization.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

More kitchen storage is good... Decided I didn't have enough kitchen storage in the house I am building. When I asked the architect to take 4 feet from the wood shop for a pantry, she went wild and suggested I should have a place for a kitchen table. (I just thought more shop space was higher priority. :nonono:) I wound up with 8 feet of shop gone, but I now have an 8 foot closet/pantry and a dining nook. I think the closet will work great and it is right off the kitchen. The view from the dining table where I will drink my morning coffee will be grand!

More kitchen storage is good... Decided I didn't have enough kitchen storage in the house I am building. When I asked the architect to take 4 feet from the wood shop for a pantry, she went wild and suggested I should have a place for a kitchen table. (I just thought more shop space was higher priority. :nonono:) I wound up with 8 feet of shop gone, but I now have an 8 foot closet/pantry and a dining nook. I think the closet will work great and it is right off the kitchen. The view from the dining table where I will drink my morning coffee will be grand!

If you really are a hermit living in the boonies, you will want to shop in bulk. A large pantry seems like a great idea!

We've got a pretty nice pantry, about 6' x 6'. It's even pretty well organized right now, as we recently got rid of a lot of stuff we don't eat anymore. Not quite as well organized as MBAustin's but close. When we built the house we were thinking of putting in an elevator, since there was a possibility of my Mom moving in, but we decided to use that space as a pantry until we needed the elevator. She passed away, but we may still convert it someday if the stairs get too difficult. If so, we'll just use some garage space for food storage.

Pantry envy...that's a new one. :cool:

MBAustin's looks fabulous. Nice j*b !

I have a ceiling to floor kitchen pantry with 4 roll out shelves, plus a smaller one for overflow, built in the tiny closet under the stairs. The smaller one is excellent for cans and glass jars, which are arranged on simple straight narrow shelves so I can read the damn labels immediately without having to lift them. The upper one is for frequent use items...dry goods, tea, rice, pasta, vinegar, etc. and a few small appliances.

It snows pretty heavily in these parts, so each fall I make sure I am well stocked on all fronts. Why battle the snow to go to the grocery store ? :D

There is hope...most cupboards can be retro-fitted with roll-out shelves.

MBAustin, gorgeous pantry! It's enough to inspire pantry envy in any of us. :D I love the way you organized everything. Due to that, and due to its large size, you can instantly tell exactly what you have, with one glance.

My new-to-me dream house doesn't have a walk in pantry, but it has a large, deep two door cabinet that extends from about 2.5' off the floor to about 6' off the floor. Not only that, it has a huge amount of storage in the kitchen - - so many kitchen cabinets that 5-6 of the usual upper cabinets and several of the lower cabinets were empty even after I unpacked everything from the move. So, I am using those, plus the pantry cabinet for pantry items. They are only about half full so far, if that.

When I saw that pantry I almost posted a photo of ours, but DW would have had a fit since all the broom handles aren't perfectly aligned and labels forward and such. I guess it could be called walk in, but for a 5-year-old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom