what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a productive day. In the morning I verified with my health insurer that I don't need to do anything on our 2016 health insurance... our current cat plan renews automatically and increased less than $5/month for the two of us and I reset our autopay (the insurer changed their electronic payment system). I dropped the car insurance on the car I sold on Friday and did the paperwork to transfer my last remaining DC plan with my former employer to my tIRA.... I had intended to annuitize it but their annuity benefits changed from a great deal 4 years ago to nothing special today compared to available payout annuities.

In the afternoon I finished winterizing the pontoon boat and my Mom's place, moved a 1/4 cord of wood from the woodpile to the deck off the living area and mowed the lawn for the last time this season. I'm bushed and looking forward to watching Supergirl tonight (according to Jeb! she is "hot" and I agree) and golfing tomorrow.

Getting ready for winter- Put my pontoon boat in the garage, put sand in the joints of paver walkways/patio, tarred some exposed nails on the roof, moved our hibiscus to my workshop.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Sunday, I found one of our cats had died. He was 12 years old and we thought that he was our healthiest cat. They are indoor cats and he was the only one who could still jump up on the counters and he was not overweight. We have 2 other 12 yr old cats and 2 14 yr old ones, so we expect more of this in our future. For some reason, I thought they would live until their 20's. It makes me think of those of us planning on our money lasting until our 90's or 100. I don't really think I will last that long. We buried our sweet Elo. It was hard, since my DH is not supposed to bend or lift over 15 lbs, due to his cataract surgery.

Yesterday was a much better day. DH had eye appt and doctor was thrilled with DH's eyes. He is seeing 20/20 and can read small print up close also. I had a 2 hr dental appt. I did some laundry and packed. We are leaving today to go to NC to help our DD's family with moving and watching the grandkids. We ate dinner out and watched a stupid movie IMHO (Hot Pursuit) to celebrate our 43rd anniversary. Can't wait to see my grandkids!

Went to an early 11:00 AM lunch with DW and then a 12:30 PM showing of The Martian in 3D. A very good movie but they changed the ending from what was in the book, the book's ending was better I think.

I was also taken aback a bit at the price - we hadn't been to a movie for quite a while and for the two of us it was a bit over $23 and with the grossly overpriced Coke and box of candy that DW bought the total was nearly $35! I'd hate to think what it would be in a high COL area. Even DW said next time she'll sneak in a bottle of water.

At least it was a "private showing". We were the only ones in the theater.

Went to the dentist for a refill. A 15 year old filling decided to escape. There was no discount.

Dreamer, sorry to hear about your cat Elo... what an interesting name! DD lost one of her cats, the sweetest of the two, back in early summer.... he was actually younger than Elo and seemed healthy but developed an illness and went in a few heartbreaking days.

Walt, we saw The Martian a few weeks ago... I really enjoyed it but had not read the book so I had nothing to compare it to. We go to the movies regularly but our local theater is only $4 for seniors (60+) and a large popcorn and soda (each of which can be refilled if you want) is only $10.

We go to the movies regularly but our local theater is only $4 for seniors (60+) and a large popcorn and soda (each of which can be refilled if you want) is only $10.

That's a lot more reasonable and we'd go more often with prices like that. While I know theater owners are being squeezed on costs when a movie gets to $23 for two for a weekday afternoon showing (with the $5 senior discount for me) that's into the irritating range. And the drink/snack prices are flat-out gouging and I won't pay it.

It is part of why we don't go to movie theaters much - we leave feeling ripped off. Normally we just wait for the DVD or for it show up online.

I doubt that we could go if it was $23 for two just to get in... or even $18.... we are spoiled since we have been paying $8 for so many years because they also offer a book of 12 tickets for $49 and we did that until we turned 60.

Fiddled about doing various chores after a quiet morning breakfast.

Then off for a cardio hike. Went to the Black Mountain Open Space and hiked the "Glider Port" trail which was nothing more than a steep rocky mountain goat path. KMA! And it took longer to walk back down the steep incline.

Connected in a run to Home Depot on the way home to get replacement bulbs for the front landscaping lights (dang these things, I go thru these 11W bulbs faster than a bag of Doritos!), and some Halloween decoration lights that had burned out.

On the way home, I did a impulsive stop at Oggies Sports Bar & Brewery to pick up a growler of their Double IPA.

Back home for a nice left over salad with the last of the bbq chicken from the weekend, with some of the IPA...mmmm.

Replaced all the burnt out bulbs and can now relax a bit before starting dinner before DW and DS come home from w*rk.

That's a lot more reasonable and we'd go more often with prices like that. While I know theater owners are being squeezed on costs when a movie gets to $23 for two for a weekday afternoon showing (with the $5 senior discount for me) that's into the irritating range. And the drink/snack prices are flat-out gouging and I won't pay it.

It is part of why we don't go to movie theaters much - we leave feeling ripped off. Normally we just wait for the DVD or for it show up online.

That must be a regional thing, or at least I hope so. The last time we went to the movies I think it was $6 each for a matinee and/or senior admission.

This was probably 3-4 years ago, though. I won't go any more because of the painfully high volume.

That must be a regional thing, or at least I hope so. The last time we went to the movies I think it was $6 each for a matinee and/or senior admission.

These days, I only go to the cinema for a night out with friends, or occasionally to see a movie that requires a wide screen. There is a second run movie theatre close by with tickets for as little as $2 (Canadian). I refuse to pay for overpriced popcorn.

This was probably 3-4 years ago, though. I won't go any more because of the painfully high volume.

It helps to be hard of hearing, as I am. I just remove my hearing aids and enjoy.

Sunday, I found one of our cats had died. He was 12 years old and we thought that he was our healthiest cat. They are indoor cats and he was the only one who could still jump up on the counters and he was not overweight. We have 2 other 12 yr old cats and 2 14 yr old ones, so we expect more of this in our future. For some reason, I thought they would live until their 20's. It makes me think of those of us planning on our money lasting until our 90's or 100. I don't really think I will last that long. We buried our sweet Elo. It was hard, since my DH is not supposed to bend or lift over 15 lbs, due to his cataract surgery.

Yesterday was a much better day. DH had eye appt and doctor was thrilled with DH's eyes. He is seeing 20/20 and can read small print up close also. I had a 2 hr dental appt. I did some laundry and packed. We are leaving today to go to NC to help our DD's family with moving and watching the grandkids. We ate dinner out and watched a stupid movie IMHO (Hot Pursuit) to celebrate our 43rd anniversary. Can't wait to see my grandkids!

I'm sorry about Elo. It's always hard to lose our animals. Sad days.

Sunday, I found one of our cats had died. He was 12 years old and we thought that he was our healthiest cat. They are indoor cats and he was the only one who could still jump up on the counters and he was not overweight. We have 2 other 12 yr old cats and 2 14 yr old ones, so we expect more of this in our future. For some reason, I thought they would live until their 20's.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, Dreamer. It is never easy to lose them.

I have been laying back after marrying off my daughter last weekend. The wedding went fairly well. Our guests enjoyed themselves, and that was important to me.

Threw away about 75 pounds of old magazines. Mostly sports illustrated from the 70's & early 80's

Dreamer - so sorry to hear about your cat. It is always sad to lose a furry family member.

How exciting! Glad to hear the wedding went well.

Yes, the bride and groom put a lot of time into planning this, as they had to wait 15 months for the venue. We were all pleased with how it worked out. My daughter had all of her first cousins coming to the event with their spouses, many from out of state.

As for myself, the spur-of-the-moment decision to get my own tux worked out well too. It fitted a lot better than the rental I wore in an occasion in the past. I did not wear a stuffy cummerbund, but did wear a bow tie instead of a necktie as the young salesman suggested. Perhaps younger people would feel more comfortable with a necktie on a tux, but as a geezer I feel quite at ease with the "real" thing.

I am tempted to post a photo of me with my daughter here, but it would violate my principle of staying incognito. Don't know how I will use this tux a 2nd time, but it was worth it.

Last edited:
Yes, the bride and groom put a lot of time into planning this, as they had to wait 15 months for the venue. We were all pleased with how it worked out. My daughter had all of her first cousins coming to the event with their spouses, many from out of state.

As for myself, the spur-of-the-moment decision to get my own tux worked out well too. It fitted a lot better than the rental I wore in an occasion in the past. I did not wear a stuffy cummerbund, but did wear a bow tie instead of a necktie as the young salesman suggested. Perhaps younger people would feel more comfortable with a necktie on a tux, but as a geezer I feel quite at ease with the "real" thing.

I am tempted to post a photo of me with my daughter here, but it would violate my principle of staying incognito. Don't know how I will use this tux a 2nd time, but it was worth it.

I am so glad you bought a tux for the event! That was a very smart decision and the right thing to do. A daughter's wedding is a memorable event, and recorded for posterity in the wedding photos. I was hoping you would wear a tux and I think it's wonderful that you did.

As for showing the tux and staying incognito, maybe you could either crop your head off of the photo, or else leave it there and black out your face with photo editing software? There are many approaches that can preserve your anonymity. We all remember BbbamI's memorable photo years ago, showing the back of her head and her hair but not her face. Incognito and yet still a great photo. :D

My brothers have each owned a tux and tails as well for all of their lives. Not the same ones! But they always have formal wear that fits and looks nice, just in case. They tell me that there have been many more opportunities to wear them than one might at first expect, and hopefully that will be what you discover as well.

Last edited:
Photo of myself and my beautiful daughter and wife without heads? Arghhh!

Faces blacked out? Maybe. I am still awaiting delivery from our photographer. He promised in two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom