Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #18661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm away on vacation with DW, DD and DS. Where we are staying does not have a DVR. My how I hate watching commercials!!!!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #18662
Recycles dryer sheets

Family was going to go to Red Robin's for dinner where I was planning to get a free double burger and endless fries (free for veterans on Veteran's Day). We didn't go because DS has an oral test in high-school Spanish tomorrow that he is not ready for. He was supposedly studying all day at home today since he had Veteran's Day off, but he was mispronouncing and stumbling over many basic words this evening.

It turns out it was a good thing we didn't go out because I threw up immediately after dinner at home due to chemo side effects. Oh well, tomorrow's another day!
Old 11-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #18663
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Went to the new Orlando VA Medical Center (VAMC) at Lake Nona to meet my new doctor at the facility. No health issues but I have to see a doc every once in awhile to stay in the system since I receive all my healthcare from the VA.

All I could keep saying was "Wow, wow, wow!" It's the most modern, beautiful, welcoming, comfortable, sunlit building I think I've ever been in. The staff was pretty great, too! I love that the VA creates Women's Clinics within the large facility which serve women and are staffed by women. It's an hour each way but well worth the drive.

The new Orlando VA Medical Center at Lake Nona is located on a 65-acre campus in southeast Orange County. The 1.2 million square foot facility cost $600 million to construct. The medical center will have a large multispecialty outpatient clinic, 134-inpatient beds, 120-community living center beds, a 60-bed domiciliary and administrative and support services. The VA Lake Nona Campus is co-located with the University of Central Florida College of Medicine, the Burnham Institute, the University of Florida Academic and Research Center, and Nemours Children’s Hospital in the area known as the "Medical City".

I'll bet the staff is just happy to be working in a beautiful up-to-date facility. It makes a world of difference to them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #18664
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
5 hours at 225F in a propane fired vertical smoker.

OK.. thanks... what smoker do you have I am looking to buy one...

I did my last ribs on the grill at about 275F for 3.5 hours... then wrapped for an additional hour... came out great....

I am curious as to what others do and try things out....
Old 11-12-2015, 04:42 AM   #18665
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I did my last ribs on the grill at about 275F for 3.5 hours... then wrapped for an additional hour... came out great....

I have a traeger pellet smoker. For ribs, I do my own version of the 3-2-1 method that calls 3 hrs smoke, 2 hrs in tin foil, and 1 in BBQ sauce. I lengthen the middle phase to around 2.5 hours to get the ribs to the falling off the bone like DW likes. DW and mil claim that they are the best ribs that they ever ate. http://www.traegergrills.com/recipe?...baby-back-ribs

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #18666
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Arrived in Ohio. Sign off on house tomorrow. Deciding what to take back, give away, just leave.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #18667

Went to the gym, cardiologist and grocery store. There is indeed a cardiac ablation in my near future. The doc who is going to do it comes with a pretty good recommendation - he did the procedure on my cardiologist. The hospital is a bit of a hike though at a bit over two hours away. There is one half an hour away but they only do about 50 a year so I think I'll go the extra distance for this.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #18668
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The hospital is a bit of a hike though at a bit over two hours away. There is one half an hour away but they only do about 50 a year so I think I'll go the extra distance for this.
Good decision, Walt. You don't want anyone "practicing" on you.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #18669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Good decision, Walt. You don't want anyone "practicing" on you.
+1

Prayer shawl knitting group this morning - asked the leader to teach me how to knit on double pointed needles so I can make hats for DD and DS for Christmas. Decided I'd better start on them before I forget everything I learned so after doing the grocery shopping, went out to get yarn and the special needles. Stopped to get some batteries at Walgreen's (the grocery store was out of the size I needed to replace our Scrabble Flash batteries) and then decided to pick up some herb plants at the nursery next door. Came home with sage, parsley, and thyme which are all perennial here. Also a broccoli plant just for grins. Planted them after cleaning out one of the beds a bit. Mail contained the enrollment info for our 2016 health insurance - yikes! Catching up here before fixing mushroom stuffed rainbow trout for dinner - and starting on a hat!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #18670
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
+1

Prayer shawl knitting group this morning - asked the leader to teach me how to knit on double pointed needles so I can make hats for DD and DS for Christmas. Decided I'd better start on them before I forget everything I learned so after doing the grocery shopping, went out to get yarn and the special needles. Stopped to get some batteries at Walgreen's (the grocery store was out of the size I needed to replace our Scrabble Flash batteries) and then decided to pick up some herb plants at the nursery next door. Came home with sage, parsley, and thyme which are all perennial here. Also a broccoli plant just for grins. Planted them after cleaning out one of the beds a bit. Mail contained the enrollment info for our 2016 health insurance - yikes! Catching up here before fixing mushroom stuffed rainbow trout for dinner - and starting on a hat!

I would have already forgotten by then...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #18671
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I have a "Cajun Injector" brand, bought at Cabelas. It is not super high quality, but it works easily and keeps the temperature constant, and it was cheap.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #18672
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Deciding what to take back, give away, just leave.
Finished all unpacking this morning and started laundry this afternoon. While laundry was running I decided to do a complete check of basement rooms. In one closet I discovered my tenants had left me a complete Onkyo surround sound system plus a pair of large Sharp floor standing stereo speakers. Sent out a few text messages and found a friend that can use the stuff. He will pick it up tomorrow, no charge.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #18673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Got back from my mancave. On the way there I had small chore to take care of:
Did that on Tuesday on Mt Baker.

It looks like there will be a lot more work next Tuesday. (Winter storm here for the next four or five days. Not a winter storm like the Easterners get, but some flooding and two or three trees down.)
Old 11-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #18674
Give me a forum ...

In the morning we did our ACA sign ups and I also caught up on filing. In the afternoon we went to the U.C. Botanical Garden. We have a favorite bench there we like to sit on in the sun and take in views of the bay.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #18675
Confused about dryer sheets

I created an early-retirement account, and made my first investment ever $1k in VTTSX!!
Old 11-13-2015, 04:17 AM   #18676
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemilllenial View Post
I created an early-retirement account, and made my first investment ever $1k in VTTSX!!

Congratulations! The first step!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-13-2015, 04:48 AM   #18677
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Today I had one of the most pleasurable rounds of golf that I have ever had. Met up with 5 friends for breakfast and then one guy went home (chores to be done) and 5 of us continued to the course. While I normally do not like playing as a fivesome, we did and pretty much had the course to ourselves being early November in northern New Hampshire. Two of us walked and the rest rode carts. The sun came on the 4th hole and I shed my sweater and pants and played the rest of the round in shorts and a golf shirt. Temp was in the 60s so it was very comfortable.

I played well for me (bogie train with a few pars here and there and a couple doubles) and between playing well, the beautiful sunny weather, a nice course, walking and the camaraderie of playing with good friends it was a great day.
That's my kind of day, only I would be one of the one's riding in a cart.

Yesterday I closed on my patio home purchase. A bitter sweet moment as I didn't enjoy parting with the funds, but really like the home. Although the houses are on postage stamp size lots, being on the golf course makes it seem as though you have a huge backyard. I'm really going to enjoy sitting on my covered back porch watching the sunset. Here's my backyard...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patiohomegolf.jpg (65.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-13-2015, 05:19 AM   #18678
Give me a forum ...

Nice back yard!! A new home is exciting.

We'll probably do some looking while we are in Florida this year but until we get to the point that we stay longer than 3 months and really know where we want to be it'll be hard to pull the trigger... but it is good to get a sense of what is out there and how it is priced.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #18679
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemilllenial View Post
Fledgling FIRee and Boglehead!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #18680
Give me a forum ...

I have not done much today, other than sipping my breakfast tea before taking a shower then heading to the airport.

The market sucked the last few days, but life is still good (knock on wood).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Closed Thread