what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relaxed all day with dh2b. The rain saved us from the annual doggy-do picker-upper duty. :whistle:
It's kinda like those preserved mummies they perodically find in the Himalayas.
When the snow is deep, all sorts of treasures remain undiscovered.
When the snow melts, the archeologists go wild.
dh2b is from the school of "OMG, we have to pick it all up!"
I am from the school of "let the rain wash it away".
Mother Nature continues to be my best friend. :LOL:
Neeeeeeext....:cool:

Relaxed all day with dh2b. The rain saved us from the annual doggy-do picker-upper duty. :whistle:
It's kinda like those preserved mummies they perodically find in the Himalayas.
When the snow is deep, all sorts of treasures remain undiscovered.
When the snow melts, the archeologists go wild.
dh2b is from the school of "OMG, we have to pick it all up!"
I am from the school of "let the rain wash it away".
Mother Nature continues to be my best friend. :LOL:
Neeeeeeext....:cool:

Reminds me why i don't have another dog yet. :whistle:;)

Pretty strange grille out today. DW has had a hankering for grilled veggies so I promised her we would do that today. Lot of work getting everything ready. I cut up tomatoes, green peppers, red peppers, yellow squash, zuchinni (?), added some mushrooms and onions and then marinated them in olive oil and balsamic vinegar for about two hours. DW also got some asparagus as she always wanted to try that.
Steamed it separately in foil. Last but not least, I grilled some wild hog recently slain by my SIL. DW is a veggie so the hog was all mine. When SIL butchered this hog, something he had never done before, he didn't have the tools so he just cut all the meat off the bones. No pork chops, no ribs, no hams, etc., just meat frozen in bags. I marinated it also and I'll have to say it was pretty tasty. Good flavor but kind of dry. Kind of like grilling sirloin steak. Strangest meal I ever grilled out. SIL told me how they catch the hogs with hunting dogs. That's another story for some other time. Strange as hell.

From the sublime to the um, cents off. thanks for the story and photo.
Yeah, it was kind of downhill the rest of the day....:D
Cute hubby!
Heh...he hasn't had his hair cut snce November of last year. That's just one of the "retirement changes" he's going through.....stay tuned....:blush:

I finished my taxes today, I think. I started more than a month ago, but then was out of town. My income has dropped significantly from 2007 to 2008. Ever since leaving a full-time job with megacorps many years ago, my income comes from part-time work paid with both W2 and 1099. I am your typical procrastinator, and never paid estimated taxes on the 1099 jobs, and usually relied on the taxes withheld on the W2 to cover the self-employment and income taxes on the 1099. The tax withheld on the W2 was high because it was prorated for the entire year, while I usually work brief periods of 40hrs/week for a few months, then nothing for several months.

As my work "fluctuates" (just like the market!), in 2007 I had to pay an additionally $10K in taxes and penalty as my 1099 work paid more than I had expected. For 2008, my total income has dropped off enough for me to NOT pay additional taxes for the 1099 job. In fact, I am even getting $3K coming back. What a nice surprise! So, I compared the returns of 2007 and 2008, and found out about the difference. My income has dropped enough for me to get into a lower bracket, and my kid's tuition can now get me some tax credit. In 2007, I also had capital gains. In 2008, I got enough losses to last me more than a decade at $3K/yr.

I don't worry about the cap loss carryover though. In 2000, I was in a similar situation, but as the market recovered in 2003-2006, I was able to sell with a gain that used up the carry-over loss very nicely. I am back to working part-time now, and have some money coming in. Buy, buy, buy...

Played 9 holes this morning. Still very wet. And tomorrow, more rain. Man, this is getting old.:'( Going to do some yard work this afternoon. Maybe take the mutt for a walk and swim.

I finished my taxes today, I think. I started more than a month ago... I am your typical procrastinator,

Mutually exclusive. :LOL:

I'm almost ready to start thinking about beginning to prepare to think about doing my taxes.Much more typical. :D

Hmmmmm...today...what did I do today?....:blink:
1 load of laundry washed and folded.
I cooked orange ruffy fish in the crockpot and made Greek orzo casserole.
I got the mail, surfed, watched little tiny pieces of white stuff fall out of the sky...still ongoing. :nonono:
I watched the 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph winds blow...still ongoing.
Remembered it is T-minus 2 days til my 2 year FIRE anniversary. :dance:
I think I have the daily routine down pat.
Ummmmm...:whistle:...I forget what else I did. :greetings10:

Mutually exclusive. :LOL:

I'm almost ready to start thinking about beginning to prepare to think about doing my taxes.Much more typical. :D

Yup.
And if you don't owe money there's no penalty for filing late.

Went to our Human Resources folks to talk about retiring on November 9th. Gave them the info to get started on a rough estimate, and to verify that I would be eligible. It is a bit early, but they are short-handed and their best retirement expert just retired :2funny: so they need a lot of extra time to handle retirements these days.

I left with a big folder full of pertinent forms and publications, which I am studying. It is beginning to seem more real. :)

I spent the morning at the Pulmonologist . I came down with bronchitis last week and it has kicked in my asthma . I do not have time to be sick . My daughter ,SIL and my grandson are coming to visit then my Mom is coming and then SO,Mom & I are all flying to New York for my niece's wedding . Plus I'm having a houseful for Easter . These antibiotics better kick in fast . I have to be the Easter Bunny to my grandson . The only good part is I've read several books and lost five lbs..

I had a soft-tissue peridontal graft this morning. Ugh. Now I'm whiney, though DH has provided mashed potatoes and a chocolate malt.

Newsflash: I have decided that my ER date will be August 1, 2009. :moonwalk: Finally. It's time.

Bit the bullet today and did my final data review for taxes. There was a box on my CSF-1099R that wasn't there for the past 4 years since I started receiving the pension. Something about Employee Contribution. :rolleyes:
So being a good citizen, I entered the data.
Badda-bing-badda-boom, my federal tax bill dropped by almost $100.
Now I only owe them $41. :dance:
If they audit me, I'll just sic the IRS on the OPM and watch the fur fly.
Still zero to NYS. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Taxes and I have always had a strong hate-hate relationship. With an effect tax rate of 12.25%, I can overcome my hatred and say that I just l...lo...lo...love doing taxes.
<SCREAM shudder> Nah, I hate doing my taxes. But I do love not paying out the nose anymore. :D

Went shopping for DW birthday. Got some chocolate for a nice bottle of port. Got some nice flowers to go with a grilled rack of lamb dinner and caprese salad. Ohh ohh brownie points for me :D Plus finished up some odds and ends before our big trip.

Zen woodstacking. Belly button contemplation sitting in lawnchair, soaking up sun. Tomorrow rain.

Moved dirt. It's amazing how much heavier it is when it's wet. :p

Been running some numbers in preparation to our refi. I'm thinking if I significantly reduce the mortgage amount I can decrease our yearly taxable draw from our investments. This should decrease our tax bracket, which is of interest to me. I'm going to go back and read some of those old mortgage/no mortgage threads that the old folks here (membership-wise, not age) are always talking about.

Last edited:
A few days ago I looked at a nice high rise condo in a nearby neighborhood. It's in my price range, 5 minute walk from downtown, and the building and surroundings are very pretty.

Went back today to get a feel for the main street a block or so away. No place I would want to be after dark, so I’m no longer interested. In a way I am glad, as I can continue my totally irresponsible life as a renter.

ha

Well, retirement date is getting closer - broke the 100 day mark recently.

Signed a whole sheaf of forms for the HR people and shipped them off to head office today.

And my boss dropped by to talk about the "farewell" due. I protested (I'm more the slip out the back door type) -- but he let me know that this is one argument I'm going to lose. He knows me pretty well, though and assured me that it they are planning a pretty low key affair - just the folks I work closely with. It's going to be a BBQ at his home. I did get him to agree that there would be no gift -- just a charitable donation.

Still feels a bit unreal. That should change pretty soon though as I begin to transition active cases to other counsel.

Lots of changes.

And on top of it all, we're sitting here watching the Red River flooding in North Dakota. All that water is headed this way. Lots of sandbagging going on in the area. We should be OK though -- our main worry is overland flooding if we don't soon get warm weather to break up the ice and get the farm fields draining properly.

Rob

Took care of my 3 mo old grandson all day, intermittently letting the dogs in and out. At one point the dogs had some fun in the mud so I spent some time washing their legs down before letting them back in.

Ate a big spinich salad with tomatoes, walnuts, and olive oil and an apple for lunch.
Then later had a little ice cream. :rolleyes:

Driving home,the sun shining, I felt really happy and blessed!:flowers:

Today is goof-off day. Lunch at FIL's house with DW and SIL, hope to prod/goad/push them into discussing getting an appraisal on the house and getting it on the market without me coming across as the heavy. But he's still slowly bleeding cash and this cannot continue indefinitely. They all know it but no one wants to face it.

Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be good for a long motorcycle ride and that's what I'm going to do. Maybe tour the battlefield in Sharpsburg, MD. I ordered a handlebar mount and wiring to put the GPS on the motorcycle.

Thinking about riding to Steamtown in Scranton, PA later this summer. (Steamtown National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)) Also the railroad museum in Baltimore, MD. (Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum) I like big heavy machines.

Ok, here's what a w*orking stiff did yesterday:

1)Got up at 6 am (normal) and got me and the kids off to school and work.

2)Had 4 meetings and a presentation, worked until 7:00pm.

3)Quick dinner, then homework help for the kids, and scooted them off to bed.

4)DW and I worked on some last minute issues with our taxes, and went to bed at midnight.

Today, up at 6:00 am again........:(

Ok, here's what a w*orking stiff did yesterday:

1)Got up at 6 am (normal) and got me and the kids off to school and work.

2)Had 4 meetings and a presentation, worked until 7:00pm.

3)Quick dinner, then homework help for the kids, and scooted them off to bed.

4)DW and I worked on some last minute issues with our taxes, and went to bed at midnight.

Today, up at 6:00 am again........:(

Hey just think vacation is right around the corner for you. :)

Hey just think vacation is right around the corner for you. :)

And I am NOT taking my laptop with me, per DW's orders. I guess she is insituting the "no-laptop" rule, if she's not taking hers, I'm not taking mine.

Oh well, my uncle has high speed Internet......:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom