Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #1261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did 18 minutes on exercise bike at faster RPMs than yesterday. Thigh muscles are just fine.
Put a Cornish hen in the crockpot. Undecided which flavor to baste it with later, but leaning toward BBQ.
Ordered a replacement carburetor for my Honda F200 mid-tine garden tiller, circa 1988. Carb rebuild parts total including shipping online is just $4 shy of ordering entire assembly locally. No brainer. I'll use the older carb for spare parts if anything inside is still usable. I suspect it is all corroded. It runs but I can tell the float or needle valve is sticking, or the jets are plugged.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #1262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Painted baseboards.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #1263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of my favorite things ... nada. Actually, did it twice, with naps in between to recharge my energy.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #1264
Moderator Emeritus

Made some progress in getting rid of files that have accumulated through the years, at work. While shredding a stack of confidential material, I talked to several co-workers. Got the "What are you going to do?" question and handled it adeptly, thanks to the ER Forum. "Whatever I want to do, and it won't involve my alarm clock!"

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #1265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Made some progress in getting rid of files that have accumulated through the years, at work. While shredding a stack of confidential material, I talked to several co-workers. Got the "What are you going to do?" question and handled it adeptly, thanks to the ER Forum. "Whatever I want to do, and it won't involve my alarm clock!"
If anyone asks what you want for a sendoff gift, point them here...
Apartment Therapy Los Angeles | The Smash Alarm Clock
I requested no gifts at all unless it involved chocolate.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #1266
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
If anyone asks what you want for a sendoff gift, point them here...
Apartment Therapy Los Angeles | The Smash Alarm Clock
I requested no gifts at all unless it involved chocolate.
That clock is hilarious!!!

Chocolate is nice, I agree.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #1267

Went to the local art gallery during lunch and looked at some really nice paintings by local artists though the starting price is $800 for the smallest one from the artist whose work drew me into the gallery in the first place, and the one I like cost $1,800. No prints are available because the painting is sculpted out and mounted on a rice paper back board to give it a nice 3-D look.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #1268

Did some wine,beer and sausage tasting in Fredericksburg Texas. Not used to eating such rich food Weather is perfect about 76 with a nice breeze. Im sure a fire ant will bite me after I post this.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #1269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Went to the local art gallery during lunch and looked at some really nice paintings by local artists though the starting price is $800 for the smallest one from the artist whose work drew me into the gallery in the first place, and the one I like cost $1,800. No prints are available because the painting is sculpted out and mounted on a rice paper back board to give it a nice 3-D look.
My walls are bare because I can't see spending $50 for a framed painting let alone $800+.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #1270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Did some wine,beer and sausage tasting in Fredericksburg Texas. Not used to eating such rich food Weather is perfect about 76 with a nice breeze. Im sure a fire ant will bite me after I post this.
Fire ant says to itself "Yummy. Tastes like sausage".
Old 04-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #1271
Moderator Emeritus

Worked on my MIL's backyard all day, weeding, mulching, planting, etc... Lugged around a ton of mulch and pea gravel, plus some stepping stones and edging materials. Now I just have to do that all over again in MY garden.

Planted some potatoes in the veggie patch and some hostas and ferns in the borders. Looking really good.

Next: power wash My MIL's house...
Old 04-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #1272
Give me a forum ...

Trimmed up an over grown holly bush(now tree) this morning. Had intended to cut it down, but the darn thing is so big.....needed a better chainsaw. I borrowed an electric one, but would take forever to cut with it. Anyway, just trimmed all the lower branches to head high, cleaned out underneath and looks pretty darn good. May just leave it as is. It's right next to the mail box so in a good spot. This is on my aunt's property and I wanted to cut it down a few years back, but she is old and for some reason old people like stuff overgrown.

Speaking of dear old aunt(97), got to take her to the doc this afternoon. Not feeling well and seems to be breathing faster than normal. She must feel bad to let me take her to the doc.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #1273
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I've never been bitten by a fire ant in Fred. I'd suspect you're more likely to be bitten by a dog being walked by one of those city folks from Austin or San Antone...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 04-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #1274
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bought hot stones, gift certificates, and more lotion for my business.
Watching some Marketing videos on the professional website to get more ideas.
Doing laundry, burning some incense, and just enjoying the fact that I have four more months of school left! Yipppeeeee!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #1275
Give me a forum ...

It MUST be spring.
Someone lit a firecracker under moi today...exercise bike for 20 minutes, dishes, washed and folded clothes, continued porch project - moved stuff, vacummed floor and corners well to be ready for staining, chopped 3 big bunches of huge green onions for freezing, planted bottoms in dirt for more free green onions, filled birdfeeder for last time, pant pant pant ...

Oh, and before I forget the formal announcement, it didn't snow today
Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
At the landfill, I spied a set of metal shelves apparently in perfect shape. Was forbidden to get into the metal bin to "rescue" them, waah.
Reminds me of Foxworthy's "You might be a redneck if you went to the dump and came back with more stuff than you brought".
Old 04-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #1277

Yesterday and tonight is the classroom part of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider class. Yawn. So far, nothing I didn't already know. They say the driving range part this weekend is more interesting.

Went for a 120-mile ride today, went to look at commercial-grade 33" walk behind lawn mowers (I mow a hill too steep to use a rider on) and blanched at the price - $2,900 for the smallest one. Sears sells one for about $1,100 on sale but I have serious doubts about the quality.

Then just kept riding, from Winchester, Va up Rt. 522 to wherever then told the GPS to plot a course for home. Found some back roads I'd never been on before.

Cooking marinated chicken on the grill now.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #1278
Gone but not forgotten

We had strong winds go through the area . The winds picked up my patio table which is very heavy and basically threw it down the steps of our deck and shattered the table top and bending the umbrella . So we have been spending our days picking up glass which was blown all over our property . Luckily no one was near the patio when it happened .
Old 04-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #1279
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
70F and sunny

Brought out the clothesline; made salads, listened to all the birds
Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #1280
Give me a forum ...

Had a nice nap after returning from Maryland. Left on the 15th for attending Tea Parties, one in Greensburg PA, the county seat, then dove to Maryland to meet up with family, eight of us in the suburban made it to Annapolis for another Tea party. Though wet and rainy, both were well attended, good mix of all three political parties. Superb show of general displeasure with how the public's money is spent.

Visited with family for a day, pleasant 3 1/2 hour ride back home, only twice had to disengage cruise control. Nice weather forecast for tomorrow.

Was watching gorgeous sunset, viewed it out back from the swing with DW, while having a nice glass of vino.