Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #1721
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
that's also what paid for the motorcycle and allowed us to help out the FIL more than what I'd have felt comfortable with without the income from the job.

And I'd like to get the savings higher up to make up for the losses in the deferred compensation account (sort of a 401k). I am not optimistic that the losses there will be made up anytime soon so we're saving most of the "extra" income.

I also like having my little ebay business . It keeps me busy and has allowed me to let my portfolio recover while still enjoying travel and fun purchases . I still consider myself retired since I have no set routine . I do it when I feel like and as much as I feel like .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #1722
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I hate getting up that early, but if there's one thing I hate even more, it's big city rush hour traffic.
I can get to work in 6 minutes if I leave at 5:50 AM or so. But it can take me 45 minutes to get home if I leave at 5 PM, or longer if there is an accident. The distance that I commute is very small, but I have to go over a bridge that can get very congested with traffic during rush hour.

Alternate routes take longer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #1723
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wake up at 6:10. At work at 7:00. Leave at 3:00.

Rinse & Repeat.

Boy do I hate work.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #1724
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Out of curiosity: Is it ever daylight over there at 6 am? On TV shows, despite the very early hours people go to work, it always seem to be dayligjht. Here in Spain (Galicia) the earliest we have light is 7 am these days for a very short period, 3 weeks more or less.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #1725
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The sun is always shining in the U S of A...
Old 06-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #1726
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Out of curiosity: Is it ever daylight over there at 6 am? On TV shows, despite the very early hours people go to work, it always seem to be dayligjht. Here in Spain (Galicia) the earliest we have light is 7 am these days for a very short period, 3 weeks more or less.
Sunrise, Sunset Calendars and Local Time

Old 06-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #1727
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Actually, it is daylight at 6 am here right now, but just barely. I still turn on the headlights of my car while driving to work. It is pitch black when my alarm clock rings at 5:30.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #1728
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyM View Post
Thought about a parade, but too much traffic! Easier to relax and watch from TV! It's such a nice day for a parade though!
Maybe I'll go next year, Go Lakers!
Parade will be in Dallas next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I rarely commute any more, but when I do (into Austin, 75 miles each way), I usually leave the house between 4:30 and 5 AM, arrive between 6:00 and 6:30, and leave by around 3:00.

I hate getting up that early, but if there's one thing I hate even more, it's big city rush hour traffic. I've become really spoiled by living out here.
They don't have traffic in Austin, do they?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Parade will be in Dallas next year...
You are referring to the Cotton Bowl Parade, right?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #1730
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can get to work in 6 minutes if I leave at 5:50 AM or so. But it can take me 45 minutes to get home if I leave at 5 PM, or longer if there is an accident. The distance that I commute is very small, but I have to go over a bridge that can get very congested with traffic during rush hour.
At one point, when I lived in the Oakland hills, I had a consulting job in the Potrero Hill area of San Francisco. I was able to get there in about 15 minutes (IIRC). I'd wake up at 5:40, and within about 5 minutes I'd be in the car (I'd just have a granola bar and milk for breakfast). I timed it so that I'd get to the toll booth at 5:55. The carpool lane took effect at 6 AM, but they often switched that lane to "FREE" five minutes early. What a wudge I was.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #1731

Was?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #1732
Give me a forum ...

I watched it rain all day.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #1733
Gone but not forgotten

I talked to my grandson on my new web cam .He looked so surprised . It was priceless !
Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #1734
Recycles dryer sheets

Today, I surfed on the net, watched TV talking heads, ran 5 miles, mowed the lawn, attended a financial counseling meeting, walked the dog, talked to neighbors, and now I'm winding down and about to watch TV. Pretty good first retirement day. Happy I'm not working.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #1735
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
...attended a financial counseling meeting,...

Pretty good first retirement day. Happy I'm not working.
Whoa whoa whoa, what was that "financial counseling meeting"? Did it come with a free lunch?

Sounds like a perfect first day, enjoy many many more!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #1736
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had to travel during morning rush hour today to go to my Hot Stone Massage class.....people look so darn unhappy!
Second day of not smoking (hypnosis) and it is going really well.....no anxiety or the urge to kill someone.
Had one hot stone treatment.....WOW.....everyone needs to experience this at least once!
Came home from the workshop and slept for about three hours.....it tends to have a detoxifying affect
Old 06-19-2009, 03:55 AM   #1737
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, what was that "financial counseling meeting"? Did it come with a free lunch?

Sounds like a perfect first day, enjoy many many more!
The financial counseling meeting was a disaster. I wasted two hours listening to an insurance guy telling me the virtues of an income annuity. No free lunch. This meeting was suggested by a coworker. I got sucked in on that one.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:06 AM   #1738
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
The financial counseling meeting was a disaster. I wasted two hours listening to an insurance guy telling me the virtues of an income annuity. No free lunch. This meeting was suggested by a coworker. I got sucked in on that one.
Seems like a small price to pay to get to the other side, you escaped the w*rking world and a sc*mball (can I say that?) all at once. You deserve a few days (or years) off.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #1739
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Seems like a small price to pay to get to the other side, you escaped the w*rking world and a sc*mball (can I say that?) all at once. You deserve a few days (or years) off.
You are so right! I'm going to take a rest. I gotta get more laid back!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #1740
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Actually, it is daylight at 6 am here right now, but just barely. I still turn on the headlights of my car while driving to work. It is pitch black when my alarm clock rings at 5:30.
Interesting. You are straight south of me. The sun rises here at about 5:00 am and sets after nine. The sky is pretty light by 4:00 am and until after 10:00 pm.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Closed Thread