what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove up to Johnstown, PA for day 4 of the North American vegetarian festival. Really interesting. Great food. I'm not a vegetarian but I am trying to better my diet with less meat, more veggies and organics. Some good speakers, too. There were people there from all over the world. Some day I have to tour the Johnstown Flood Museum.

DH and I set out yesterday for a spur of the moment road trip along some scenic drives from Philadelphia to northern Pa. We packed a picnic lunch and took overnight bag in case we did not feel like making the drive back home Friday. Turned out we stayed over at a Best Western just outside of Milford Pa and took a different route back home this morning.

Went to the nursing home this morning to feed my aunt. Then played in a golf tournament at my club. Just back from another nursing home trip and ready for a snooze in the recliner. Do it all over again tomorrow.

Day 2 of full time dh2b. So far so good. :LOL:
We did a bunch of small house projects together. We both have a different style of doing things, but it's w*rking out fine. :whistle:
He applies a generous amount of "Yes, Dear"s to the airwaves and continues with his way anyway.
I just smile and wave :greetings10: and make sure he doesn't hurt himself. :nonono:

Day 2 of full time dh2b. So far so good. :LOL:
We did a bunch of small house projects together. We both have a different style of doing things, but it's w*rking out fine. :whistle:
He applies a generous amount of "Yes, Dear"s to the airwaves and continues with his way anyway.
I just smile and wave :greetings10: and make sure he doesn't hurt himself. :nonono:

Tell him to call me........;)

Friends who are also recently retired discovered that it is legal to have chickens within the city limits, so they are now the proud owners of two Rhode Island Reds. They are doing the whole organic gardening thing, so it fit right in.

One of their hens just started laying and they brought us a couple of her eggs, so today I made mayonnaise. I grew up on Miracle Whip, so homemade mayonnaise always seemed over-the-top to me; that plus worries about salmonella had prevented me from trying it, but with eggs from a known source, what the heck, might as well give it a try.

Is that frugal, or tight even? I dunno, but it was easy and delicious.

Whoopee! I learned something new.

Here is the recipe if you want to try it yourself.
Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe

Finished negotiations on a used grand piano. 6' 1" Yamaha C3 - 1 owner - retired voice teacher. Excellent bass - tone seems even through all the registers. Piano movers booked for Friday afternoon. Wahoo!

Quiet week after the retirement BBQ and festivities. A particularly quiet Sunday - a bit too much celebrating the night before...

Off to Santa Barbara next week for a visit with friends and watch the dog show in Lompoc. There may be wine. There will be laughter.

Starting to get the hang of this retirement life, I think.

Rob

Slept in.....the last three days went by so fast.
Did my first hot stone massage at home....went surprisingly well.
Had school.
Need to scrub down the stones and then hit the sack

Yesterday was perfect for motorcycle riding. Went over to see DW who is pet-sitting for her brother & SIL, had an afternoon doctor appointment, then headed west. WV Rt. 9 to Berkeley Springs, up US 522 to Hancock, MD and back to Berkeley Springs, then WV Rt 9 west to the booming metropolis of Paw Paw, WV, pop. 524. All in all, about 200 miles of riding and was beginning to experience SBS. (sore butt syndrome)

Lots of tight turns & twisties, and wish I'd brought a camera, an absolutely beautiful view from an overlook on top of a mountain near the Potomac River. At that point the river is getting narrow enough that, with a tailwind, it just might be possible to throw a stone across.

Well, I don't know how I've missed it before, but this sure is a fun thread! And I feel better about my day now, too :LOL:

It's 2pm and I'm not quite sure what I've done all day, but I do know that I have *not* done the one thing I set out to do - vacuum the downstairs. Somehow I completely forgot about it until now.

I can't believe how different things are pre- and post-FIRE. Before, I was the most scheduled person I knew. And not very flexible, either. If I was planning a certain time to clean the house or go grocery shopping or whatever, by gosh, that's when it got done. I sometimes even kept lists of what chores/errands I would accomplish each day (between working, of course).

Now, not only might it not get done on schedule, I might just manage to forget I was going to do it!

After breakfast today, I went over to a near-by Army base and worked out @ the fitness center for a couple of hours. After showering, I headed off to the dining facility for steak day (every Thursday). I shared a great lunch (rib eye steak, fried shrimp, baked potato, corn, salad bar, ice tea, roll/butter, lemon meringue pie) with 4 guys who were in their final week of training. They will all be on their way to Afghanistan next week for about a year. They say that they are ready, but two of them looked scared as hell. The other two already had a tour in Iraq and were more relaxed about it.

I paid $4 for lunch. The soldiers ate for free.

Yesterday was perfect for motorcycle riding. Went over to see DW who is pet-sitting for her brother & SIL, had an afternoon doctor appointment, then headed west. WV Rt. 9 to Berkeley Springs, up US 522 to Hancock, MD and back to Berkeley Springs, then WV Rt 9 west to the booming metropolis of Paw Paw, WV, pop. 524. All in all, about 200 miles of riding and was beginning to experience SBS. (sore butt syndrome)

Lots of tight turns & twisties, and wish I'd brought a camera, an absolutely beautiful view from an overlook on top of a mountain near the Potomac River. At that point the river is getting narrow enough that, with a tailwind, it just might be possible to throw a stone across.
Ahhh Walt, I envy you being able to ride your bike.

It's been so hot here, if you stop for just a couple of minutes, your bacon will start to sizzle....

What I did today....not much.

It's been the day from hell. Started on the way in to work with an irate phone call from someone who's getting defensive about a project I'm doing; then it was raining babies all day. All needing intensive care. Where to put the next one, or two, or three? (Why do people think infertility treatment is a good idea?) And the interns are new and need shepherding and teaching, it's July after all......thank God I'm not on call tonight. :(

Slept late, enjoying some coffee and relaxing.
Have a 3pm massage session.
Going to a meeting tonight and then ice-cream with the girls.
Nice slow day :)

It's been the day from hell. Started on the way in to work with an irate phone call from someone who's getting defensive about a project I'm doing; then it was raining babies all day. All needing intensive care. Where to put the next one, or two, or three? (Why do people think infertility treatment is a good idea?) And the interns are new and need shepherding and teaching, it's July after all......thank God I'm not on call tonight. :(

I always wondered about fertility treatments, octomom and all. Does Canada pay for fertility treatments?

Enjoy your evening!

I always wondered about fertility treatments, octomom and all. Does Canada pay for fertility treatments?

The specifics vary by province. Routine investigations and treatment are covered, but IVF, embryo transfer, etc, are not. Society does pay, however, for the increased healthcare costs associated with multiple pregnancies, including prematurity and operative deliveries. The rate of prematurity has increased by approximately one third in the last 15 years, in large part attributable to fertility treatments.

Made chicken stock.

A couple of months ago, the New York Times published a story about making good use of your freezer. This part caught my eye:

STOCK-MAKING MATERIAL
Scraps of poultry (most of the chicken parts we don’t eat are good for stock), meat (again, especially the less-used, bonier parts) or fish (heads and skeletons in particular), vegetable trimmings, bones and more. Keep separate bags for each, adding to them when you can. Remember, though, that stock is not garbage soup: Carrot and potato peels, cabbage cores, and the like can be used, but in moderation. Animal organs are best avoided (fish gills and guts must be removed, and offal in general makes bitter stock).

So I labeled three large zip lock bags, one each for chicken, meat, and veggies, and started saving scraps as the article described. To make the stock I saute a chopped onion in olive oil then add water and the frozen scraps and let it simmer for a couple of hours.

Stock is cheap, so you don't really save any money, but it is easy to do and has the advantage of you know what is in it. Or not in it: I use a lot less salt than what is in commercial stock.

I save most veggie parings and peelings, but not strongly flavored things like asparagus, broccoli, or cabbage. Almost everything else is good: peels of tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, and potatoes; stems of mushrooms; tops of scallions and leeks.

Here is the article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/d...d=2&_r=1&sq=recipe stock freezer&st=cse&scp=2

An all volunteer day- spent the morning in the local Nature Preserve helping with some clean up projects. Afternoon was spent with my DW and a number of others from the Sheltie Rescue group manning a booth to sell horse saddle covers. This was at a local horse event (dressage, no idea what it is but lots of beautiful horses to watch). We had about 6 shelties there too to draw in the crowd- sold 19 of the covers and made $475 for the group- one of the members makes these and donates the entire proceeds from the sale to the group. Weather here was great, nice breeze and mid 80's, we were set up in the shade so a pretty nice afternoon.

Cheese and crackers for dinner, slept through a movie, and then to bed.

Went to free Halifax Jazz Festival events all last week. Last Wednesday there was a free noon time Blues concert under the festival tent. Friday we went to a Jazz/Blues concert as well. Really really nice venu. You just bring your lunch and listen/dance to some very good musicians.

Yesterday went to the Tall Ships parade of sail. Hadn't really planned to go, but was running errands with DW and there is was. Awesome day ( 28C) , beautiful ships. Had gotten in a 40Km bike ride in the morning before it warmed up. Oh, also installed a new shorter handlebar stem on DW's bike. She loved the bike now that it fits her. The bike was repurposed from my son. Gee, that was a busy day!:)

Going out to breakfast with a friend.
Have a couple of sessions later this afternoon.
Need to read my Neuromuscular Therapy book.
Might have to sign up for the NMT course at another school.
Catch up on laundry for clinics tomorrow.

DH and I went to the Salvation Army store today. We got one item, went to the checkout lane and the lady looked at DH and said, "If you're 55 and up, you get a 15% discount; Tuesday is senior citizen's day." DH said with a big grin, "I'm 55 and up!" We saved 15 cents on the $1 item. :LOL:

Then, we went to the Goodwill store and got a few items...under $10. They have a 25% discount for senior citizens on Tuesday. She rang the items up and DH asked if he got the discount. She said, "No, you have to tell us you're 55 or older before we ring your items up; however I can cancel this and ring it up again." He told her not to bother.

During our drive home he was kind of frowning. I asked him if it bothered him more that the first store clerk assumed he was over 55 or was it because he didn't get the discount at the second store. He didn't answer me. :ROFLMAO:

We splurged and had a lunch date at Hometown Buffet. I don't care what people say, that is a good restaurant. Limited myself to three trips, one just salad stuff, one a little orange chicken, a baked chicken drumstick, some fish, sauteed zucchini, and a few other healthier things. Final trip was a dessert run with chocolate cake, banana pudding, hot chocolate sundae stuff, with a little soft serve ice cream on top. Wow!

I baked Kalamata olive bread for a beach picnic, which was canceled right after I got the bread into the oven. These are filled with chopped olives:

OliveBread.jpg

Drove down from our cool retreat up in the AZ high country a couple of days ago. The high was in the 80 degF (27degC), compared to 114 degF (46 degC) in the low metropolitan. We would want to stay longer than a week, but it's my wife's turn to look out for her 90-year old father. Gosh, seeing and taking care of elderly parents make us believe we did the right thing to ER and enjoy whatever time we have left.

As mentioned several times before, I do not frequent any other forums, nor surf the Web much. However, due to a recent thread on "rough travel", I got into reading a few blogs of people who retire early and become nomads on wheels. I don't think fulltime RV'ing is for me, but their life is certainly interesting. Have been entertaining ideas of taking trips of a few weeks to a month, and have been looking at used class B and class C motorhomes as well as travel trailers of 20 ft and under. So many choices. Still studying, trying to see if my wife and I would enjoy this travel style. After 2 houses, it may just become another thing to maintain and spend our time and money on.

Dragged by my wife to a Psychoanalysis session:(. And me being the only male surrounded by more than a dozen women...:( Let´s see what happens:cool:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom