what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had old-fashioned fun at the county fair yesterday (free admission day). Highlights included a dog show, hula hoop performance (including 50 hoops at one, a Guinness world record) and Galaxy Girl performing on a very high pole with no net or safety harnesses.

Photos in this thread. Check out the kids' expressions in the first shot.

There weren't a lot of people there, despite the free admission, and food prices seemed especially high.

I'm a bachelor this week. DW is in SC with her sister and niece for a "girl's week". Last night I took the long way home from work since the weather was so nice, riding the motorcycle. A couple of days ago DW calls on the phone and in the course of the conversation:

Her: "How are you doing?"

Me: "I'm cold and lonely."

Her: "You better be!"

No sympathy at all.

Took advantage of the nearly-empty garage with lots of room to detail my truck.

I'm a bachelor this week. DW is in SC with her sister and niece for a "girl's week". Last night I took the long way home from work since the weather was so nice, riding the motorcycle. A couple of days ago DW calls on the phone and in the course of the conversation:

Her: "How are you doing?"

Me: "I'm cold and lonely."

Her: "You better be!"

No sympathy at all.

Took advantage of the nearly-empty garage with lots of room to detail my truck.

At least she asked how you were doing :LOL:

Went to the yearly book sale at the library and bought four bags of books. That will last me a few days! I was kind of irritated with myself on not checking on sci fi authors to see who is new and good, it would have been a good chance to try some out. And I know there have been posts on the topic.

Yesterday I went to District 9. Interesting and well done but kind of depressing sci fi fare. At the end I wanted the aliens to come back and kick ass. Sort of.

Oh, I remember now how I got in a good mood. I passed a huge kidney stone over the weekend that had hurt me for more than 2 weeks.

This post is no good without a picture (of the kidney stone!) :LOL:

I had some real excitement today...a strong thunderstorm cell passed right over the house. I never got a single "1-1000" out of my mouth between the cracks (lightning) and the booms (thunder).
The windows even shook a bit on a few of the booms. This all lasted for about half an hour.
The lightning was really beautiful. :D

Then she needs to visit Cedar Key ,Florida , That is where they harvest the clams .

You have evoked a memory. 30 years ago my parents were in Cedar Key. Mother went out for a walk one early morning and ended up sitting on a bench near the beach while some old guy opened up oysters for her to eat. Father came along a while later and made a point of putting his hand on her shoulder and saying how much he loved her.

You have evoked a memory. 30 years ago my parents were in Cedar Key. Mother went out for a walk one early morning and ended up sitting on a bench near the beach while some old guy opened up oysters for her to eat. Father came along a while later and made a point of putting his hand on her shoulder and saying how much he loved her.

I am so glad I invoked a happy memory !

I waved off the early bike ride this morning and slept until 10. Made a salad for lunch, poked around on the forum and watched tv.

Then, I slapped on some natural beauty and met friends for happy hour. I saw a guy there that I had not seen since my retirement luncheon almost 11 years ago. He was the Vice President of sales at my Megacorp at that time. Ordered a Duvel beer that a forum friend suggested I try, and by the time I finished it, I was rolling with laughter. :ROFLMAO: Came home and wanted something to eat. DH made a sandwich for me.

Ahhh, a Duvel and having DH make a sandwich for me (and I didn't even have to ask)...it does not take much to make me happy. :D

I took a vacation day today to get together with a former co-worker who left early for health reasons. We had lunch and planned on seeing a movie, however she got sick after eating so I drove her home. I took a short walk and did some reading. Made a cauldron of soup this afternoon to last me the rest of the week. Back to my desk tomorrow. Got to talk to to my friend over lunch. She seems happy in retirement. Plays a lot of bridge and enjoys gardening. Something to look forward to.

Did a load of exercise. DW and I resorted to sipping margaritas. In the meantime we made a kicking Thai spicy lemon grass soup! Yum.. Gosh anyone ever look at the calories in coconut milk :LOL:

Gosh anyone ever look at the calories in coconut milk :LOL:

Wow! I just looked it up. For THAT many calories, it really ought to taste a lot more fabulous than it really does.

I haven't had any since I was young and slender, and lived in Hawaii with lots of coconut trees in the back yard. I always thought coconut milk was low calorie, since it isn't thick. :whistle:

Last edited:
Took a 10-mile bicycle ride this morning. Did some laundry and a little cleanup.

Brought my elderly neighbors a printout from an organization which will give dogs to senior citizens for a nominal fee. My neighbors are not on the Internet so I have been searching for a free dog for them. I chat with them a couple of times a week when I'm out for a walk or bike ride and pass their house.

Took a nap, then watched a thunderstorm while sitting on the porch. Love to do that.

Talked with my wife.

Yesterday I rode the bike up to Hagerstown, MD to see a WWII B-17, a B-24 and a P-51 fighter that was supposed to be there. Couldn't find them, no one knew where they were, although one person said a 30-minute ride in the bombers was $450. Hmm... might go for it. Gave up looking and came home. Got dehydrated in the heat and humidity so stayed inside the rest of the day.

DW comes back from SC today!

Had dinner at a neighbor's house. I realized that anyone who socializes like this regularly is behind the eight ball when it comes to eating sensibly. I probably ate four times as much as I would normally eat. Beer, wine, spaghetti, chicken, pie, ice cream and foof.

Took the furry kids for a tuneup (rabies shots).
Awaiting thunderstorms moving in from the west...:(
Just love hearing those words "torrential downpours"...NOT!
Same for tomorrow...70% rain Friday and into Saturday AM.
We need to build a rain runoff pipeline to Texas. Between all of us, we could design it, finance it, build it, and make a killing on the profits.

Headed out for $3.99 spaghetti dinner in an AC dining room...:D

Nords, just reread all the posts to get up to date, and decided to look up "typhoon" in Websters. It is described as a cyclone originating in the "western" Pacific. Also, for what I can determine, the term hurricane and cyclone could be used interchangeably although the term hurricane is always used for these storms in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.

On second thought, just forget this post and look it up on Google. There are a lot of definitions.

Last edited:
Yesterday I rode the bike up to Hagerstown, MD to see a WWII B-17, a B-24 and a P-51 fighter that was supposed to be there. Couldn't find them, no one knew where they were, although one person said a 30-minute ride in the bombers was $450. Hmm... might go for it.

I took a ride on one of these B17's a few years ago, here in Leesburg, VA. It was great, price was around $400. My dad was a radio/gunner on a B17 during WWII, flew many missions over Italy and Germany so it was kind of neat to take the ride and see just a bit of what it must have been like.

I believe the B17 will be in Leesburg again later this month if you want to try again. Here's a link:

Town of Leesburg : News : Leesburg Executive Airport Open House to be held August 29th

I've never had foof...

This is what we call "foof:"

59148_f260.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom