Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #2401
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hopefully will be getting our flu shots today.

R
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #2402
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Scheduled annual vet visit for cat.
Scheduled seasonal flu shot.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #2403
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Scheduled annual vet visit for cat.
Scheduled seasonal flu shot.
I didn't know cats got the flu.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #2404

End of the week at work. This was supposed to be a part time job but 54 hours is not part time! They couldn't do much else since two are still in Iraq and nine were pulled for recertification training. It's only one week so I can handle that. The two in the Air National Guard will be back later this month so that will help too.

DW was promised a nice steak dinner at the restaurant of her choice with the overtime.

Next week I'll be back to 32 hour weeks, more to my liking. Actually during the winter I wouldn't mind full time since I hate cold weather and if I'm gonna be sitting on my butt inside I might as well get paid for it.

Still had time to take the bike out for some long rides, put 150 miles on it one day since although I worked all seven days, two of those days were four-hour days.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #2405
Give me a forum ...

I have been absent from this forum for a month!

Thought I would be busy with my sporadic part-time w*rk projects for a while, but it turned out they had another lull. So, we went up to our high-country retreat for another period of navel gazing. Alas, the house exterior called out for help! In the house's 4th year, the siding stain was already badly faded and I learned that we were supposed to apply a 2nd coat after only 18 months! So, we got ourselves busy.

My neighbor with a smaller house paid $3K for his exterior re-staining job. My house is 25% larger and would cost around $4K. I was not impressed with the job however. To be fair, contractors only apply stain by spraying and a good coat must be applied by hand brushing. So, to do it right I must do it myself. OK, OK! I'll admit that the frugal bastard in me wanted to save some money too.

So, I rented some scaffold rigs, then put my own 20-ft ladder on top of two levels of scaffold. See picture.

Holy cow! When up on the top of the shaky ladder to stain the chimney top, I was sweating, trembling, and cursing myself for getting into this. Look closely at the photo and you can see guy ropes to stabilize the ladder at the mid point as well as the top. The base of the ladder was clamped to the scaffold platform to prevent slippage. It was still scarier than anything I have done; I have climbed up to the roof top of my other two-story house all the time to work on the A/C with no sweat. Anyway, it is now done and I am now back in the valley and still alive to file this post.

This episode got me thinking why I would want an RV to add to my list of things to maintain. Then, I recovered and have spent time surfing the Web for travel trailers as well as some motorhomes. What's a guy to do? Just sit around waiting to die? We even went out recently looking at some used RVs. Boy, they are cheap, but that's another story.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #2406
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hey there death wish! Bet you would have felt silly as the ladder pushed the top of the scaffold out from the house, leaving you flat up against the ladder and chimney for a moment before the ladder rotated around the guy rope....

never cared much for high work or bouncy ladders, find I like them less and less now - was up cleaning the gutters on our two story and cursing myself when my wet sole slipped on the third from bottom rung coming down... Nice looking place - what part of AZ?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #2407
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

NW-Bound, a couple more home maintenance projects similar to your scaffold and ladder job and the "RV" below will be perfect for you:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hearse_Side_View.JPG (740.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #2408
Moderator Emeritus

Holly cr@p NW-bound, you could not pay me enough money to climb on that ladder!
Old 10-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #2409
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, I knew you were offline but figured you were on a trip (maybe to Paris) but glad to see you avoided a bad trip.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #2410
Give me a forum ...

NWBound, there are many things I could say about that scaffold/ladder setup... none of which are ladylike or polite.

I hope this was a 1 shot deal for you, and you concluded the following:

1. Never again ,
2. What was I thinking , and
3. When it was over, I was kissing the ground.

Welcome back
Old 10-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #2411
Full time employment: Posting here.

Learned about all the trigger points in the back....tomorrow, I get to massage the Iliopsoas muscle by moving the viscera and the erectors!
Ordered some chinese food....hopefully the guy will get here soon!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #2412
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
tomorrow, I get to massage the Iliopsoas muscle by moving the viscera and the erectors!
Now why does that sound like it would be mighty pleasurable... to the recepient.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #2413
Give me a forum ...

I had a wonderful day with dh2b...breakfast out, hardware store to use $5 coupon to buy $6 of mousetraps, then yard slaving. He had 2 cups of coffee at breakfast and he decided to get the chainsaw out. Smaller trees in the way back are all thinned out. Bonus - lots of new branches of wild applewood for the smoker are now seasoning (drying out) for the spring.
I played roundup with the maple leaves on the ground, chopping them into teeny tiny smithereens with the lawn tractor. Leaf raking is against my religion.
Just hanging out playing Ma and Pa Kettle right now.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #2414
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Thought I would be busy with my sporadic part-time w*rk projects for a while, but it turned out they had another lull. So, we went up to our high-country retreat for another period of navel gazing. Alas, the house exterior called out for help! In the house's 4th year, the siding stain was already badly faded and I learned that we were supposed to apply a 2nd coat after only 18 months! So, we got ourselves busy.

My neighbor with a smaller house paid $3K for his exterior re-staining job. My house is 25% larger and would cost around $4K. I was not impressed with the job however. To be fair, contractors only apply stain by spraying and a good coat must be applied by hand brushing. So, to do it right I must do it myself. OK, OK! I'll admit that the frugal bastard in me wanted to save some money too.

So, I rented some scaffold rigs, then put my own 20-ft ladder on top of two levels of scaffold. See picture.

Holy cow! When up on the top of the shaky ladder to stain the chimney top, I was sweating, trembling, and cursing myself for getting into this. Look closely at the photo and you can see guy ropes to stabilize the ladder at the mid point as well as the top. The base of the ladder was clamped to the scaffold platform to prevent slippage. It was still scarier than anything I have done; I have climbed up to the roof top of my other two-story house all the time to work on the A/C with no sweat. Anyway, it is now done and I am now back in the valley and still alive to file this post.

This episode got me thinking why I would want an RV to add to my list of things to maintain. Then, I recovered and have spent time surfing the Web for travel trailers as well as some motorhomes. What's a guy to do? Just sit around waiting to die? We even went out recently looking at some used RVs. Boy, they are cheap, but that's another story.

Look like we need to nominate you for the Extended Reach Ladder Hall of Fame. Here are some of your fellow Hall of Famers; from the International Division:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wellgrounded.jpg (20.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg extended reach ladder.jpg (13.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg longreachladder.jpg (11.0 KB, 122 views)
Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #2415

Photography class field trip today. Here's part of my assignment:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lines.jpg (119.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #2416
Moderator Emeritus

Urban fauna. Red tailed hawk? He stayed there a long time, looked about the size of a large house cat. Gotadimple, I'd probably flunk that photo class, I know not to use the zoom on my camera, it will always be fuzzy.

The bird was looking in the direction of this scene.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6210.jpg (307.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6207.jpg (413.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #2417

Cuppa: What harbor is that of your photo?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #2418
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Cuppa: What harbor is that of your photo?
It's San Francisco Bay in California, Vicente. I know I'm up late when you are online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6222.jpg (717.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6221.jpg (809.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #2419

Cuppa: Nice view. San Francisco Bay.....mmm Reminds me of Eric Clapton. IŽll try to send you some photos of my nearby surroundings. I live in the countryside. Can you believe that I havenŽt got the hang of all this IT stuff....?
http:http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz223/vicentesolano/DSC00215.jpg//i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz223/vicentesolano/Foto0144.jpg
Old 10-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #2420
Recycles dryer sheets

Played over 35 shinney ( ice hockey, no contact, no slap shots ) today. We play Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at noon. Its the same bunch of guys that have played together , plus or minus, for 15 years. Ages range from 40-78. I'm 50.

Anyway, young Bob ( 74 ) has been absent from hockey till this week. Rumor started he had died over the summer. He was actually away visiting family on Ontario. So all week, he was greeted with 'Hi Bob, thought you were dead'.

As it gets colder, turnouts get better as the guys can't golf comfortably any more. I'd still rather be golfing though!
Closed Thread