Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #2481
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I will follow calmloki's tips when replacing my carpet. About the pad, my experience is that mine was always in even worse shape than the carpet, and disgustingly dirty. In fact, I should not have any carpet but all wood floor, but my wife is still resisting.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #2482
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Are you sure you need to replace the pad? Carpet companies have a lot gain in convincing you to do this. I had one rep say "You wouldn't change your suit without changing your underwear, would you?" but that's baloney.

You might need or want to, but when our carpet was replaced, we figured we'd need a new pad, but the installer said "Well, this old pad is fine -- no reason to remove it."
We won't be getting carpet. We're having the rooms done with Amtico laminate. We had the laundry room, kitchen and dining room done with Amtico three years ago and just love it. This is what it looks like in our kitchen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitchen4.jpg (550.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #2483
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
This is what it looks like in our kitchen.
Interesting. My daughter has a China Cabinet just like that. It belonged to my grandparents. She got that and the Buffet.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #2484
Give me a forum ...

Yes...I love that cabinet. It belonged to my grandparents. I think my DH loves it more than me...if the house caught on fire, he would get it to safey first!
Old 10-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #2485
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Are you sure you need to replace the pad? Carpet companies have a lot gain in convincing you to do this. I had one rep say "You wouldn't change your suit without changing your underwear, would you?" but that's baloney.

You might need or want to, but when our carpet was replaced, we figured we'd need a new pad, but the installer said "Well, this old pad is fine -- no reason to remove it."
Last apartment we had done we paid $10.50 for the carpet, $3.75 for the 8# pad, and $4.50 for labor - per yard prices. In my opinion the pad tends to make the carpet - spending an extra couple bucks/yard on the pad gets us a much better life, feel and impression than a couple extra on the carpet. This is for foam pad - if you have Berber carpet and a "horsehair" pad it might be worth leaving - the horsehair doesn't squish out like foam does. Suspect that you are *ahem* a fair bit tidier than our typical tenant.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #2486
Give me a forum ...

I was a shopping fool today. We went to Marshall's and got dh2b 6 new pairs of name brand dress pants, priced from $18 low end to $25 max. He's lost 25 lbs since January and his w*rk dress pants were just too big on him. I found a great button down long sleeve blouse for $13.
Also scored an $18 pair of jeans at another store. I am amazed that dark indigo blue jeans are a thing of the past. The pair we bought looked old already. Hit Aldi's for yogurts and misc stuff. That was enough shopping for me for at least a month.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #2487
Moderator Emeritus

Took a ride with BIL and SIL to a Punkin chuckin festival, but it was cancelled due to wet weather causing crops to still be in the fields

http://www.mortonmagnet.com/chuckin.php

So i went home and power washed my boat
Home Cookin'
Old 10-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #2488
Give me a forum ...

Home Cookin'

The annual apple pie cooked from scratch happened today.
It was beyond fabulous. I haven't lost my touch with homemade pastry.

Warning: This picture will cause spontaneous salivation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ApplePie09.jpg (462.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #2489
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Beautiful pie, Freebird! I am impressed by the from scratch crust. I use those ones you unfold from the freezer and consider that homemade enough for the occasional pie or quiche that I turn out.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #2490
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yes...I love that cabinet. It belonged to my grandparents. I think my DH loves it more than me...if the house caught on fire, he would get it to safey first!
ooops...I meant safety......

Well while I'm here I might as well post what I did today. I finished painting my patio! Woo Hoo!
Old 10-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #2491
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The annual apple pie cooked from scratch happened today.
It was beyond fabulous. I haven't lost my touch with homemade pastry.

Warning: This picture will cause spontaneous salivation.
... all that pie needs is a scoop of Bluebell homemade vanilla ice cream.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #2492
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Took a ride with BIL and SIL to a Punkin chuckin festival, but it was cancelled due to wet weather causing crops to still be in the fields

Morton, Illinois 61550 - Punkin Chuckin 2008

So i went home and power washed my boat
The World Championships are still on, though. In Bridgeville, DE, 11/6 - 11/8. World Championship PunkinChunkin. I went last year, and plan to go again. Without DW this time, though. She's not a fan.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #2493
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
.... Without DW this time, though. She's not a fan.
That's a surprise. Thanks, I think parts of it would be fun. Had to look at the photos to get a real sense of it. You know you live in a rich area when....
Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #2494
Give me a forum ...

Took my new mutt on a hiking swimming trip today. Mainly wading though, doesn't seem to have the swimming down yet. Hope he gets the hang of it. Pretty day, a little on the cool side.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #2495
Moderator Emeritus

New mutt is having so much fun. When do the leaves turn, Dawg?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #2496
Give me a forum ...

What a beautiful dog!! He looks so healthy, strong, and happy. I am sure he'll figure out how to swim, in time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #2497
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
New mutt is having so much fun. When do the leaves turn, Dawg?
A few are turning color like dogwood trees but the majority turn around the end of Oct or early Nov.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #2498
Moderator Emeritus

I love your dawg, Dawg! Good Micah!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #2499
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Took my new mutt on a hiking swimming trip today. Mainly wading though, doesn't seem to have the swimming down yet. Hope he gets the hang of it. Pretty day, a little on the cool side.
That dog has swimming after sticks, until his tongue is hanging out from exhaustion, written all over him.
Um...if not, are you ready to join the Polar Bear Club to teach him?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #2500
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
... all that pie needs is a scoop of Bluebell homemade vanilla ice cream.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Way ahead of ya!

Ever try this? Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the top and microwave just enough (maybe 30 seconds) to melt the cheese. OMG!