Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #2641
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Oh...Nords and REWahoo...doesn't everyone have a toilet in their tub?
We're just jealous of the greater time-saving efficiency with which you must be completing your morning, er, ablutions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
(not a hotbed of oceanographic research)
Oh, please. Just how close to the Maury Library IS your division?!? I've heard (literally) what goes on there...

Well, after Monday I guess you won't be anywhere near it-- congratulations again!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #2642
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Oh, please. Just how close to the Maury Library IS your division?!? I've heard (literally) what goes on there...
so true. And, I am impressed that you know about the Maury Library. I know you are Navy retired, but I am still impressed! About 40 miles I think. I suspect that in Springfield there will be conversations like this:

Springfield person: "What do you do for a living?"
Me: "I am a retired oceanographer."
Springfield person: "You are a retired WHUT? HUH?"

It won't matter to me, and physical oceanographic modeling really is more of a library/computer based occupation than sea-based anyway, and besides I am retiring so who cares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Well, after Monday I guess you won't be anywhere near it-- congratulations again!
Thank you!!!

I can hardly believe it but I am essentially done.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #2643

Quote:
I can hardly believe it but I am essentially done.
Congratulations on your impending retirement and last day of w*rk today!

And don't forget to be missing after lunch....
Old 11-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #2644
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Walt!

My last day of work isn't until Monday, though. Today is my usual every-other-Friday-off. All I really have to do on Monday is sign in and enter+verify my time on the electronic timekeeping system, write my broadcast "farewell e-mail" to everyone, wash off my whiteboard, and turn in my badge, parking permit, and exit clearance. Then I will just read until lunchtime.

My supervisor said (shhh!) that she won't notice if I disappear at lunchtime on Monday. She says my timekeeper might not like it if she knew, but that she will cover for me and just say that I forgot to sign out. I really don't think the timekeeper cares either, but I will just slip out anyway.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #2645
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations W2R...your worklife is almost behind you. After that nice goodbye, you might want to stay. I'm looking forward to your new/next life as a retiree.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #2646
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
so true. And, I am impressed that you know about the Maury Library. I know you are Navy retired, but I am still impressed! About 40 miles I think.
Its reputation is so legendary among METOC officers that even their spouses have heard about it... my spouse's two career goals were (1) no Pentagon duty and (2) no Camp Swampy duty, not necessarily in that priority order.

As for sneaking away early on Monday: what are they going to do, make you drag that short-timer's bad attitude back to the office on Tuesday so that they can yell at you?

Nah. If they were really mad at you they'd dock you a half-day's pay and submit the paperwork so late in December that you'd get six corrected W-2s the following year... after you'd filed your tax returns.

Not that they're likely to do any of that in your case!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #2647
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Its reputation is so legendary among METOC officers that even their spouses have heard about it... my spouse's two career goals were (1) no Pentagon duty and (2) no Camp Swampy duty, not necessarily in that priority order.

As for sneaking away early on Monday: what are they going to do, make you drag that short-timer's bad attitude back to the office on Tuesday so that they can yell at you?

Nah. If they were really mad at you they'd dock you a half-day's pay and submit the paperwork so late in December that you'd get six corrected W-2s the following year... after you'd filed your tax returns.

Not that they're likely to do any of that in your case!
I hope not! My HR contact told me that she always submits the paperwork the day after someone retires. I suppose that believing HR is sort of like believing in the tooth fairy, but one can hope.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #2648

Want2Retire:
Write down all your feelings, sensations, details...of your last day at the job. You´ll want to flash back to that date in the future and reminisce about Liberation Day.
I ddn´t do it and I regret not having done it. I barely remember what happened that day. A real pity.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #2649
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Want2Retire:
Write down all your feelings, sensations, details...of your last day at the job. You´ll want to flash back to that date in the future and reminisce about Liberation Day.
I ddn´t do it and I regret not having done it. I barely remember what happened that day. A real pity.
That's the nice thing about participating on a message board. I have an excuse to write everything down, in my posts here (where they will doubtless be recorded until the entire earth crumbles into dust).

Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #2650
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations W2R! You must be psyched. Do you already know what you are going to do next week with all that new-found freedom?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #2651

yes, congrats W2R!!! I'm right behind you. That is, in 8 more years. Can't wait to hear how it's everything you imagined it to be.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #2652
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm a little concerned that on Monday your joy and happiness is going to make you explode.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #2653
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Congratulations W2R! You must be psyched. Do you already know what you are going to do next week with all that new-found freedom?
Sleep in - - and then Frank (who is still working second shift) wants me to babysit some workmen who are going to be repairing/replacing some of the plumbing at his house and tearing up his driveway. Life goes on! But that can't last forever. And yes, I am thrilled beyond belief that my retirement day is finally almost here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
yes, congrats W2R!!! I'm right behind you. That is, in 8 more years. Can't wait to hear how it's everything you imagined it to be.
I think it may be better than I have imagined it to be! We shall see. When I started counting the days there were more than 2400 left, so I guess that was between 6.5 and 7.0 years out. I devoted a sheet in my Excel file to that count and every morning would update the days left in that month, which would then allow computation of the total days left. I finally stopped doing that today. You'll get there, with determination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm a little concerned that on Monday your joy and happiness is going to make you explode.
Better duck!!! Wouldn't want you to get all covered by the fallout of body parts, blood and guts, etc.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #2654
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Springfield person: "What do you do for a living?"
Me: "I am a retired oceanographer."
Springfield person: "You are a retired WHUT? HUH?"
I'd gladly trade you...rewind back to my college days...

Hometown person: "So you're going to college now?"
Me: "Yes, I'm majoring in Physics"
Hometown person: "You gonna be a gym teacher?"
Me:

Oh, what I would give to be a fly on the wall when you try to explain what oceanographers do (did).
Old 11-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #2655
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Oh, what I would give to be a fly on the wall when you try to explain what oceanographers do (did).
It's tough even within an educated group. Most non-oceanographers think I probably spend my time out on a ship petting dolphins and killer whales. (hint: physical oceanography is similar to ocean physics and does not generally involve marine mammals).

Old 11-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #2656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

They graph the ocean of course.
Simplify: draw pretty pictures of the ocean and what it does. Artists too.

When I worked in Seismology, one day in in upstate NY, a fellow in hunting suit wanted to know what I was doing when he saw me in the woods fixing a seismic station. I said working on a seismic station.

He: hell we don't need none of that! Then went of into the hills.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #2657
Give me a forum ...

I want to know what Khan is doing. She hasn't posted in a while....
Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #2658
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Me Too !
Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #2659
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Have you PM'ed her?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #2660
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, careful driving away from that place, Want2! Surreal?

Looking forward to seeing your new user name go up!
Closed Thread