Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #2821
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I was excused. It was going to be a six-day trial, and they handed out a hardship form. I wrote "Every visit to the court involves 1.5 hours of driving for me."

I couldn't believe that that was accepted as an excuse. This is encouraging, because my biggest fear is getting stuck on a very long trial.

I'm free for another year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #2822
Gone but not forgotten

I have never done jury duty . Since I was a nurse for forty years I was exempt . So now I must be lost in the system as I haven't been called in years . One time my late husband was called and it was for a famous mafia trial he was so nervous and so happy when he was excused .
Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #2823
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got back from the beach! Water temp was in the low 70s, might be last beach day until we get back from Atlanta for the Christmas Holiday.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #2824
Give me a forum ...

I took a full tour of the old YMCA building that houses my newest volunteer venture.
Old YMCA slowly changing into one-stop veterans center - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch

This is a relatively new startup and they are screaming for help. I am looking forward to having something constructive to do with my time.
I have always supported projects geared toward veterans assistance. This is going to be really cool.
I plan to start with 3 days per week, 4 hours at a time. I can help with organizing, thinking, and do a little cleaning and painting rooms, essentially anything that pops up.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #2825

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have always supported projects geared toward veterans assistance. This is going to be really cool.
I plan to start with 3 days per week, 4 hours at a time. I can help with organizing, thinking, and do a little cleaning and painting rooms, essentially anything that pops up.

Just wondering if there is any particular reason that the Veteran's cause tugs at your heart? As the daughter of a Viet Vet. it always pleases me to know there are people out there who care enough to give their time generously to this sector of the public.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #2826
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Just wondering if there is any particular reason that the Veteran's cause tugs at your heart? As the daughter of a Viet Vet. it always pleases me to know there are people out there who care enough to give their time generously to this sector of the public.
My mom was very patriotic, so I learned from her. I grew up just a few miles south of West Point Military Academy.
My uncle (her brother) was a 30 year Navy man and retired as a CPO.
My late husband was a 4 year Navy man.
My fiance (dh2b) was a 20 year AF man.
I myself was going to join the USCG, headed for OCS right out of high school, however I won a full scholarship and went to college instead.
Even though I never served, I feel it is proper and an honor to use my talents to assist those who did. Simple.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #2827

Freebird, thanks for that info. It's always nice to hear the background as to why people do what they do, helps to get to know people better.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #2828
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have never done jury duty . Since I was a nurse for forty years I was exempt .
Just curious, why does being a nurse make you exempt. Are all healthcare professionals exempt?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #2829
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My mom was very patriotic, so I learned from her. I grew up just a few miles south of West Point Military Academy.
My uncle (her brother) was a 30 year Navy man and retired as a CPO.
My late husband was a 4 year Navy man.
My fiance (dh2b) was a 20 year AF man.
I myself was going to join the USCG, headed for OCS right out of high school, however I won a full scholarship and went to college instead.
Even though I never served, I feel it is proper and an honor to use my talents to assist those who did. Simple.
I take it you're a sucker for guys in uniform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Just curious, why does being a nurse make you exempt. Are all healthcare professionals exempt?
Does amateur pharmacist count?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #2830
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Does amateur pharmacist count?
I think it does. I have a friend who wore a Grateful Dead t-shirt (Steal Your Face) under his nice white shirt when he went in for jury duty. He got sent home immediately after the voir dire started.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #2831
Moderator Emeritus

I am attempting to finish my neverending wallpaper scraping project from two years ago.

Back in 2007 I was working on my dressing room area (dressing room with sink and closets, plus little room with toilet and shower). At that time, I ran out of steam when I was almost done so I painted what I had done and left what was unfinished (the little alcove over the sink) half scraped and unpainted. And there it sat for two years. It looks terrific, BTW, except for that one little corner which looks like Dresden after the War.

So, if I am going to sell the house and move, I need to finish. I HATE SCRAPING WALLPAPER (in case you had any misconceptions). I am planning to scrape and repair 1/3 of it each day for 3 days (no need to break out in a sweat). So far, I have only done the first 18" above the sink so I have more to do before I have completed 1/3. Painting afterwards will be more fun. I don't need any help or suggestions but I am just posting for sympathy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #2832
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am attempting to finish my neverending wallpaper scraping project from two years ago.

I don't need any help or suggestions but I am just posting for sympathy.

W2R!! Get ye to your local rental center and get their steamer!!!! Used properly (enough steam) you'll do almost no scraping, and will need minimal repair to the drywall.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #2833
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
W2R!! Get ye to your local rental center and get their steamer!!!! Used properly (enough steam) you'll do almost no scraping, and will need minimal repair to the drywall.
Thank you , but I worked really hard on it yesterday and I think I am done with it! I just have to check for any minor patching that I might have overlooked. Then I can paint, re-hang the mirror, clean up, and I will be done, done, DONE. Then sell the house and let the new owners put more wallpaper up if they want to.

I will never, ever, ever try to remove wallpaper again! I promise. Next time if absolutely necessary, I will hire someone to do it since it is not a good match for my skill sets.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #2834
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I will never, ever, ever try to remove wallpaper again! I promise. Next time if absolutely necessary, I will hire someone to do it since it is not a good match for my skill sets.
I know what you mean, W2R. I removed wallpaper from two bathrooms when I moved into my house. I swore up and down that it was the dirtiest job I'd ever done, with little bits of sticky paper stuck all over everything.

Since then, I have had the pleasure of putting up and finishing drywall, which, for me, takes top honors in the dirty job category. Now I want nothing to do with either drywall finishing OR wallpaper removal!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #2835
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I know what you mean, W2R. I removed wallpaper from two bathrooms when I moved into my house. I swore up and down that it was the dirtiest job I'd ever done, with little bits of sticky paper stuck all over everything.

Since then, I have had the pleasure of putting up and finishing drywall, which, for me, takes top honors in the dirty job category. Now I want nothing to do with either drywall finishing OR wallpaper removal!
Thank you for the warning! I have never done drywall either, and didn't realize it was as bad a wallpaper. Actually, in a sense I am glad to hear this about drywall, because there were many times when I thought I was a complete idiot for removing the wallpaper instead of just re-doing the drywall.

When we eventually move north, I will make the effort to become acquainted with a GOOD painter/wallpaper-remover/drywall man. I will pay through the nose, but I will be happier just LBYM'ing enough to compensate for the bill, than attempting something I am so totally unsuited to tackle.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #2836

Quote:
When we eventually move north, I will make the effort to become acquainted with a GOOD painter/wallpaper-remover/drywall man. I will pay through the nose, but I will be happier just LBYM'ing enough to compensate for the bill, than attempting something I am so totally unsuited to tackle.
I went thru a wall paper phase at the last house before this one. Never again will I hang wallpaper, remove wallpaper or even paint! I even hate to think about it. My daughter's old bedroom and bathroom is now mine. It needs to be painted and I will hire it done. I'm hoping that the bedroom/bathroom will be my project for 2010 under my "household" budget category.

Bet you really glad that job is done.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #2837
Give me a forum ...

I spent the last 2 mornings and early afternoons at the hospital with our new friends. The guy had a minor surgery done. We kept them company and brought some goodies.
I hate hospitals for some rather grim reasons.
So I had to keep myself busy while he was in surgery.
Coloring is my therapy for difficult situations.
And IT'S STILL FUN , even at age 51.
I got him laughing by showing him a drawing of a open field, pine trees, and a small pond complete with cattails and a Canadian goose. I used crayons I found in the waiting room. I taped it to his room wall at his request.
I was actually OK and only had 1 minor flashback. Another demon conquered.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #2838
Moderator Emeritus

Ripped out molding, prepped and painted the upstairs landing/hall to match the living room. New moldings are all primed and painted, so tomorrow morning it'll be me and the miter box, madly chopping and nailing away.

Then, while DW is out, I'll assemble a new display case for her collectibles across the end of the landing. Christmas present...
Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #2839
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Sorry I am so late answering . Nurses were exempt from jury duty until they changed the law in 1986 so somehow after that I fell through the cracks and was never summoned .

Nurses and Jury Duty
Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #2840
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Coloring is my therapy for difficult situations.
And IT'S STILL FUN , even at age 51.
I got him laughing by showing him a drawing of a open field, pine trees, and a small pond complete with cattails and a Canadian goose. I used crayons I found in the waiting room. I taped it to his room wall at his request.
We want to see.