Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #3121
Gone but not forgotten

Saturday I worked on my goal for the year, to learn to make really good homemade pizza. Luckily I have 11 more months because my first attempt was pretty lame . I'd roll the dough out and it would roll back .I ended up with a really thick crust pizza that looked bizarre . Where Is Crazy Connie when I need her ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #3122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After a late breakfast, we ran a few errands and picked up some stuff we needed at the grocery and hardware stores. Then on the way home I saw that my friend that owns the local paver supply joint was at his office, so I stopped in for a visit (he's actually closed for the season, but was there piddling around). Then we came back home and while we were unloading the car, I noticed a chunk of rubber missing from the sidewall of one of my car's tires. So I went down to the tire shop and got a new set of tires put on.....they all needed replacing anyway, but I kept putting it off. And, of course, I had to stop off for coffee on the way home from the tire shop!

We decided we were both to darn lazy to cook supper tonight, so I ordered a pizza from the grocery store deli, and got to try out the new tires in the snow going down there to get it!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #3123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Drove up to the range and shot my .308 today. I think I'll get back to doing more of this as the weather warms up.

Ha
Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #3124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd roll the dough out and it would roll back
I'll bet you have a lot of whole wheat flour in the dough. That makes it more springy.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #3125
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'll bet you have a lot of whole wheat flour in the dough. That makes it more springy.

and the cure for that is ?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #3126
Moderator Emeritus

Moe, just let the dough rest for about five minutes or so after you punch it down but before you roll it out. It will soften and not be so springy. If it springs back at you again, just let it rest again.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #3127
Give me a forum ...

Had coffee with a friend, lunch with dh2b and his buddies, shopped for snacks for dh2b for w*rk, dropped off my dermotic oil ear drops Rx refill request.
A truly exhausting day!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #3128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'm pretty sure I'll buy a small crossover but I could be swayed to another model . I just wish one of the models would really stand out .
Small crossover has become a LARGE segment of the mkt. Some that have caught my eye:

Ford Edge
GMC Terrain
Accord Crosstour (more of a car)
Honda CRV

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #3129
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Small crossover has become a LARGE segment of the mkt. Some that have caught my eye:

Ford Edge
GMC Terrain
Accord Crosstour (more of a car)
Honda CRV

I was awaiting the accord crossover but I'm disappointed in it's looks . It looks more like a car than a crossover . I got hooked on them when I saw my daughters Ford and how much room it has but I haven't bought an american car since 1982.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #3130
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have the Honda CRV and love it.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #3131
Gone but not forgotten

The problem is my Toyota Solara has been the best car I ever had so I feel guilty to just toss it aside . It has been 11 basically trouble free year with that car . So do I do like a lot of guys would do and just turn in their trusted but trouble free partners for a shiny new one that is hopefully as good as the last one or I do I stay faithful as in till death or major repair due us part .
Old 01-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #3132
Give me a forum ...

Spent the last three days recovering DW's crashed computer. Only an hour ago put her computer back in her office.

Dell with XP. It died with the blue screen of death after a Microshaft automatic update overnight. The Dreaded, STOP: 0X0000050. (0X5500000 etc.) Micorsoft help site talked about memory, L2 cashe, printers scanners, drivers etc. All af it bunk. Machine ran fine with another dirive configured for XP.

No amount of attempts could get it going, safe mode or rescue console, or any of the cheater NTFS boot disks. Or re-installation, it alwas died with the BSOD. Ran chesckdisk, showd no file system oor disk errors. Ran Avast virus checker from CD, no viruses found.

Naturally, no backup of files and photos, which she considered "priceless".

The fix ended up, dig up a spare hard drive from my scrap heap, It was only 2GB, but enough. Did you know XP uses about 1.6 GB? Install XP on said drive, bring XP up to current service pack 3 plus 60+ updates to it, to be sure there was no video card related issues. Then attach her old drive as a slave, find and copy off all her files to a thumb drive, and burn a CD for good measure. Wipe old drive. Re-install XP bring this up to Service pack 3 and by now 75 updates to it.

Interestingly on final scan for updates Microsoft had an updated video driver for her machine.

Tried using the Vizard for settings and files, was a dismal failure. So copy all stuff now saved onto reconstructed drive. Re-do settings, email setups etc.

So now I'm realatively familiar with XP. My machines still run Win2K pro.

She did offer a very nice dinner out at some fancy eatery.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #3133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The problem is my Toyota Solara has been the best car I ever had so I feel guilty to just toss it aside . It has been 11 basically trouble free year with that car . So do I do like a lot of guys would do and just turn in their trusted but trouble free partners for a shiny new one that is hopefully as good as the last one or I do I stay faithful as in till death or major repair due us part .
Breaking news: Toyota is suspending sales of the models involved in the gas pedal problem.
Toyota suspends sales of eight models in recall
The Toyotas have been flying out of the dealerships here. This is a major embarrassment for Toyota.

I came close to buying a new Toyota recently, but decided to hang on to my oldie (15) but goodie Honda Accord, which I love.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #3134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know what you mean about the Solara! It is a great car. I bought a Venza this afternoon and it drives pretty much like the Solara. It is what I have wanted since last fall, but believe me I understand the difficulty of not being able to find anything you feel enthusiastic about. It is smart to wait until another car appeals to you a lot, especially since the Solara is such a fantastic car anyway.

When you do find a car that you really like, don't take a test drive until you are sure you are ready to buy it! I loved my Solara too, and would have been fine with it. But wow, the Venza was so much nicer in real life than I had imagined from reading about it online. It drives like a dream. The center of gravity is low and I love the maneuverability. It is pretty peppy too, since I had to get the larger engine in order to get the sunroof, unless I wanted to special order. I didn't get the GPS.

Just read Meadbh's post. Wow! Luckily the Venza wasn't one of those models.

I blame my purchase on a thread earlier today, which had prompted me to divide my Vanguard accounts by my 2009 spending. It came out way too high, and I have been spending less since I retired so I remembered UncleMick's reflections on how you can't take it with you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #3135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Spent the last three days recovering DW's crashed computer. Only an hour ago put her computer back in her office.

Naturally, no backup of files and photos, which she considered "priceless".

She did offer a very nice dinner out at some fancy eatery.
DW owes you BIGTIME!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #3136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I bought a Venza this afternoon.
Congratulations W2R!!!!! Way cool!

This thread is useless without pictures....
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #3137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Congratulations W2R!!!!! Way cool!

This thread is useless without pictures....
Thank you! I just got home with it about an hour ago and it was pitch black outside. I'll take better a photo of it really soon (tomorrow if I remember) and post it! Also need to go get my insurance changed over and put enough money in checking that my check doesn't bounce.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #3138
Gone but not forgotten

I never heard of a Toyota Venza but after going to the website I really like that car .Congratulations on a nice choice !
Old 01-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #3139
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

What Moemg said!

I'm surprised you didn't let the forum know what you were up to so we could have told you what a big mistake you were making assisted you in the decision process....
Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #3140
Give me a forum ...

Thank you so much, Moemg! I really appreciate your nice response (didn't mean to threadjack). I like the Venza and wonder if you might like it too (since we both loved our Solaras), though also I can sure relate to the difficulty in choosing the right car to replace one's beloved Solara.

Thanks, Meadbh!

REWahoo, I didn't exactly know I was going to buy that car today or I might have said something. I talked about the difficulty of choosing a car last year in this thread, and I think I mentioned the Rav4 at that time but wasn't sure which SUV I wanted. I did decide on my own that I wanted the Venza by last August or September. I knew I was going to buy it eventually, but had planned to do it after the move north. Besides, the 2010 model is supposed to have a USB and the 2009 model doesn't, so that was my other reason to wait. But recently the move north has been moved back for a year or two (due to lousy housing market conditions and the house next door to Frank's going up for sale for almost nothing). And, it did occur to me that I would probably never actually use the USB so for me it was just a gimmick.

So anyway (rambling on, don't mind me...) today I was getting my hair cut at Supercuts and talking to the hairdresser about cars. It occurred to me that there is no longer a reason to wait. I was also musing to myself on the way home about how my spending was going down instead of up, and how I had somewhere north of 80x my 2009 spending in my nestegg at the moment which is insane, and how you can't take it with you.

So, on the way home I turned around and went to the Toyota dealer just to LOOK inside a Venza and maybe sit in one. Before I knew it I was on a test drive and couldn't resist. I hadn't even washed my Solara and it was full of maps, books, and stuff and I didn't have the title with me. But it all worked out.

My Solara only had 39,006 miles on it so this was such a matter of "want" rather than "need". My Venza had 11 miles on it. I think it has around 16 on it now, since I had to drive home and get the Solara title and extra key and drive back to the dealership with it.

Closed Thread