Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #3241
Moderator Emeritus

Tried to figure out what the direct deposits from OPM that appeared in my checking account today represent. I think one is the interim pension payment (same as last month), and the other is the difference between the interim and final amount which would mean that they are done with the processing. I should get an explanatory letter soon. Right now I am in an information vacuum.

I have my copy of TurboTax and need to start on it this afternoon. So far, this has been one of those days devoted to numbers and computations.

But I also want to drive my new car someplace! Can't think of any place I need to go, so maybe I will just take it for a joy-ride.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #3242
Administrator

Went to the Y and did 30 mins on the treadmill before an hour long "ballet workout" class which did wonders for my sore back.

Then we had lunch with our son, before doing some more unpacking
Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #3243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw my doc this AM and had a great talk. My doc is soooo cool. She and I have a lot in common, personality-wise. I feel really cared for and fussed over, like a family member.
Coming up...I got scheduled for a full blown hearing evaluation for auditory discrimination problems in high noise in my right ear, plus I'm going to get my head examined to rule out physiological causes in inner ear region.
And...this is the best part... I was given a verbal Rx to go to Florida for a full month next time if it did me that much good.
Anybody need a free housesitter? I w*rk for cold beer, bagels and steaks and I'm not allergic to animals.
I delivered lunch to dh2b, had coffee with a friend, and went grocery shopping.
Big day for this girl!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #3244
Moderator Emeritus

Kind of a weird day today.

Our kid has a part-time job tutoring and peer-managing at a local Kumon franchise. They've been in the elementary school for at least a decade (after school), but the new principal wants the space back so they're movin' out this Friday.

They've found space at a nearby church but they need collapsible furniture for roughly 40 kids & tutors. Unfortunately large folding tables around here retail for at least $100+ and the owner was looking at a big furniture bill. Our kid suggested to the boss that we'd look on Craigslist. Spouse felt her bargain-hunting skills were at stake and got all competitive about it.

So this morning the first Craigslist seller met us at his storage center to sell two 48"x30" plastic folding tables. $40 total. By the time we returned home we had a call from a second seller. We met him downtown (25-mile drive) at his storage center for what we thought would be eight eight-foot melamine folding tables. $80 each.

By the time we unloaded everything else from the storage cube and started counting, we had nine tables of 8'x3'. He threw in a plastic six-foot folding table for free. $720 changed hands. Luckily he had a heavy-duty cart. The freight elevator was exactly eight feet deep.

I didn't notice how low our Prius was riding until I was roping everything down. It had an inch or so of flex so we decided to try it. Unfortunately I'd moved the seat all the way forward (so that only a foot or so of table was hanging out the back) and I barely managed to squeeze back into the car. I drove home with my head all the way over the dash, my chest a few inches from the steering wheel, and both legs pretzeled into a modified lotus-- left toe on the brake, right toe on the gas. It was rush hour so we didn't attract too much attention. I hope.

We weighed the load when we got home-- two full-grown adults plus 600 pounds of table and a full tank of gas. I checked the owner's manual and found that we'd overloaded the car's 810-pound limit by about 150 pounds. Yet the Prius seemed to drive flawlessly and I never felt it bouncing or bottoming on the springs. We'll have to keep an eye on it but the shocks seem fine. And we think everyone will be very happy on Friday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Coming up...I got scheduled for a full blown hearing evaluation for auditory discrimination problems in high noise in my right ear...
It's been pointed out to me that hearing and listening are two completely different skills, and the medical community can only test for the former!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:03 AM   #3245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

It's been pointed out to me that hearing and listening are two completely different skills, and the medical community can only test for the former!

He hits one right over the center field fence. Take 10!

I did, however, notice you steered right clear of the head examination part.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #3246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, that's true and I will probably follow whatever the manual says for tire pressure, but it's good to hear the mileage will improve all by itself.

Actually I think the mileage computer just hasn't got the right mileage because I have only driven 55 miles or so. Yesterday after only 20 miles or so it said I was getting 9 mpg (!) and today it said 12.1 mpg. That is insane. The car is supposed to get 19 in the city, and 26 on the highway. It probably needs more miles driven to be able to get a handle on it. I mean gee -- I know I got the V-6, but still it shouldn't be that bad. Oh well. My 4-cylinder Solara used to routinely get 35+ mpg, even though its official mpg rating was less.

I also let the insurance agent talk me into full coverage, including collision. Since I drive so little, I thought I'd self-insure my own car and max out on liability but she talked me into the "full ride". I guess that's a good idea for the first year or two. Maybe. Anyway, as little as I drive the bad mileage will cost me less than the extravagant insurance.
It akes a little time to get optimum gas mileage. A guy I know who is an engineer at Honda says that maximum fuel economy starts to occur around 4000 miles and up on a new car.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #3247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
plus I'm going to get my head examined
Are you sure medicine has advanced enough to provide you help in this area?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #3248
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I did, however, notice you steered right clear of the head examination part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I figured someone else would swing at those fat, slow pitches...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #3249
Moderator Emeritus

Since I filed my income taxes yesterday, today I am determining my estimated taxes for 2010. This should be pretty easy after I have been retired a year or two, and know about what to expect.

Time to take my new Venza for a pleasure drive. I can work on taxes more at a later time.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #3250
gone traveling

Woke up.

Looked outside.

Saw my shadow (it is Feb 2nd ).

Went back to bed (for the next six weeks...)
Old 02-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #3251
Give me a forum ...

Got some bike tires yesterday. They were in a huge box with no less than 60 feet of brown paper protecting them. I realize that they can't be folded, but there's got to be a better solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg packaging2.jpg (128.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Packaging1.jpg (97.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #3252
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The arduous life of the ERed.

My wife asks me with a lot of sarcasm:"What do you plan to do today?"
"Nothing"
She replies: "Thatīs what you did yesterday"
"Yes, but I havenīt finished yet"
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #3253
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
The arduous life of the ERed.

My wife asks me with a lot of sarcasm:"What do you plan to do today?"
"Nothing"
She replies: "Thatīs what you did yesterday"
"Yes, but I havenīt finished yet"
Great answer!

I love being able to do nothing, and almost never being in a hurry in retirement. The whole objective is to enjoy life.

The only time I have set my alarm clock since I retired, was one morning when Frank and I planned to go on a day trip early so I had to get up.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #3254
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Got some bike tires yesterday. They were in a huge box with no less than 60 feet of brown paper protecting them. I realize that they can't be folded, but there's got to be a better solution.
They should pack it in mulch. It's biodegradable, and besides you could use it in your garden.

I'll bet nobody would think twice if they added the price of some cheap mulch to the shipping and handling fees. They could advertise it as the "Gardener's Special" on bike tires.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #3255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I figured someone else would swing at those fat, slow pitches...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You're always dependable, men! That's what I like about you two.

Hmmm...what did I do today? I intentionally stayed off the board.
I could be glib, but I decided honesty is always the best policy. Today was a real toughie - late husband's birthday. Ouch.
But I did my usual coping thing and sat around the house with nice soft music playing, thinking about past good memories about Groundhog Day and shadows being seen or not.
I rallied myself out of that mode and telephoned a very dear friend. He actually made me laugh, and I feel pretty darn content right now.

Life is good.

PS Don't feel bad for me, folks, I am doing fine now. I am a survivor.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #3256
Administrator

Today.

Unpacked boxes for an hour or so.

Watched recorded TV with my son when he came in after his night shift (English Premier League).

Went to son's place and fitted a thermostat timer on his AC/Heater & helped him build some more furniture.

Lunch with DW, then spent another 2 hours unpacking boxes etc.

Delivery of new washer and drier plus fitting of said appliances took me through to 3:15. Got time for a quick browse on the internet before we go off to the gym for a 4:30 class (body sculpt )

phew, this retirement thing is pretty exhausting, in a nice sort of way

We intend to get to the situation where we go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, plus tennis, cycling and walking every week - if the old body can take it that is. (I've had backache this last few days so need to take things slowly at first)
Old 02-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #3257
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went out for breakfast this morning, and then ran a couple of errands....had to pick up another 50# bag of bird seed too. Got back home about 12:30....and have been goofing off on the 'puter ever since!

Seeing as it's now Feb. 2nd, I need to get the rest of the Christmas decorations taken down and stored away! I know...I procrastinate once in a while! Absolutely NOTHING has really stood in the way of me taking those decorations down....and it's because of all that "NOTHING" that I do, that the they're still up!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #3258
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
(body sculpt )
Now....that's what I need. A little chiseling over here...a little carving over there... Where's mah putty knife....
Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #3259
Give me a forum ...

Today is my weekly Chinese buffet with friends. I just lost 3 lbs so I'm going to be veeeeeeery good today and keep it to a single plate. Uh huh...

The sun is peeking through a little, and it is snowing very lightly (vs the usual lake effect)...all good stuff.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #3260
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Got the H1N1 shot. $10 at local Kroger.
Made soups and salads yesterday.
Will run dishwasher tomorrow.

Been feeling better, need to get organized.