Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #3321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I stayed offline for most of the weekend...revolutionary stuff.
I filled out some cost basis calculation request paperwork for VG funds that I transferred from TDA to VG in Nov 09. I weeded out a few overstuffed investment folders of everything but quarterly statements and records of purchase.
We had friends over for SuperBowl. I made some killer baby back spareribs using dry rub marinate for 2 days, then cooked nice and low and slow in the oven, finished off with a gentle slathering of BBQ sauce.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #3322
Moderator Emeritus

Manned the Help Desk sat at the PC with our kid and watched her plow through her returns on TurboTax. This is her fourth time, and her last time before college, but I think she's ready to handle this chore on her own.

It's been a pretty quiet year, so her Form 1040A took her about an hour for both federal and state taxes. She even scored a $41 refund from the state. I'm jealous.

It's been a pretty quiet tax year for us parents, too, but I'm many more of those hours from finishing. I don't understand how the colleges expect a copy of your federal tax return in February when I won't even get the final 1099-DIVs until March... not, of course, that I plan to raise the issue with the college unless specifically asked.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #3323
Give me a forum ...

Shoveled some more snow.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #3324
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I've been planning on redecorating the family room here for a while, and replacing some of the furnishings, like that great couch I got 20 years ago at Ikea. Maybe I'd splurge and replace the old big screen TV with one of those fancy flat ones.

Last night, I received a incentive to move the project along. The TV, a monster rear projection set, blew out it's high voltage supply in spectacular fashion. I still remember the sales pitch. "When it comes to great TV, you can't beat big rear projection sets. ... And when you die, they can bury you in it!" Alas, the set went first, in the electronic equivalent of a Viking funeral.

So, today's project is to unload the room, dismantle the TV, and work up the design details for what I'll do with the space. OK, technically, this isn't what I did today. It's what I'll be doing the rest of the month...
Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #3325
Give me a forum ...

Nothing like the aroma of burnt electronics. Sorry 'bout the demise of TV. SIL's died a few weeks ago. I suggested a sledge hammer party.

They live too far for me to try and fix. Fortunately.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #3326
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
. The TV, a monster rear projection set, blew out it's high voltage supply in spectacular fashion.
Out of curiosity, how old was the set?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #3327
Give me a forum ...

M Paquette, sorry to hear about your TV. Hopefully when you buy a new TV they will remove the old one for you (since you don't need it as a casket! )

OK, today I did nothing for about five hours and enjoyed that immensely. I am so good at it. Then I drove my new SUV to Lowes and got at least two dozen paint color cards, the objective being to match the color of the woodwork as closely as possible without doing any further research to find out exactly what it was. After that, I browsed through the carpet and tile section of the store since I want to change the flooring in my living room. I got an odd idea of changing it to black or dark grey tile instead of carpet but I need to think about that.

Then, went to the grocery store to pick up a couple of things, then home. The programmable sign at the bank said (in two foot high letters), "CHAMPS!" Gee, wonder who they meant?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #3328
Give me a forum ...

Had a dermatology appointment today. Doc zap a couple of spots on my face, but no problems really. And played golf this afternoon. Pretty cool but probably only opportunity this week. Rain tonight and tomorrow and cold rest of the week. Possible snow later in the week.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #3329
Give me a forum ...

I got my head MRI results today and went for a full audiology testing session.
The MRI good news...there is still a brain in there . No visible problems in ear area or elsewhere.
The audiology testing good news...I have very slightly diminished hearing in both ears, but not enough to warrant hearing aids for amplification or dynamic noise cancellation. All tests came back within range with minor losses and a few misses in the spoken word comprehension portion.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #3330
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Washing machine was delivered.

At 4:30 I realized I was low on cat food and made a run to the store before the snow starts.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #3331
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

EXCELLENT! I hope it serves you well for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
At 4:30 I realized I was low on cat food and made a run to the store before the snow starts.
Brrr!! Good idea.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #3332
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went to visit my Doc for my normal appointment and 6 month blood work, b.p. was 110/70 (stopped at the McDonald's drive-thru first, to get an egg Mcmuffin for Doc's nurse...it's her birthday today), then to BK for coffee and breakfast with the gang, then to the pharmacy to get my meds refilled.

Came home and picked up the chocolate chip cookies I baked last night, and delivered the bribe them to the City snowplow crew (in advance of the impending snow). Then ran some errands, goofed off, fed the birds, ate supper, watched "All in the Family" reruns on TV while I surfed the 'net on my iPhone. Now time for a 'bedtime' snack.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #3333

DW just had to get out to the grocery store for milk and chocolate mix for the impending snowfall. Got back just as the first flakes began. Dunno why she felt she wanted to go out - other than shoveling snow she hasn't been out of the house for a week.

Go to work this afternoon, anticipate a light showing of other people. But this is one of those installations that never, ever, closes. Ah, it's nice to be "essential personnel". Isn't it?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #3334
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW just had to get out to the grocery store for milk and chocolate mix for the impending snowfall. Got back just as the first flakes began. Dunno why she felt she wanted to go out - other than shoveling snow she hasn't been out of the house for a week.
Your wife and I must be related. I think it's a matter of chocolate over snow.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #3335
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
That expanse of blank white space (front of machine) is screaming for some really cool stickers.
Congrats on your purchase.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #3336
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm waiting for the day when she buys a dryer....

...crazy talk, I know....
Very crazy, a dryer might lead to the recurring cost of dryer sheets.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #3337
Give me a forum ...

Today is a 100% pure goof off day..no laundry, no projects, no paperw*rk, just gonna surf the Internet to my hearts' content and be a SAH slug.
The most difficult thing I plan on doing is letting the dogs in and out periodically.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #3338
Moderator Emeritus

Here's what I'm doing this afternoon, because why waste a good holiday:

Daily TWiP - Read in the Bathtub Day - NashuaTelegraph.com
Old 02-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #3339
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Here's what I'm doing this afternoon, because why waste a good holiday:

Daily TWiP - Read in the Bathtub Day - NashuaTelegraph.com
That's a new holiday for me, but one I strongly endorse.

This morning I went to the car dealer to have my birthday gift from DW installed (actual birthday is tomorrow). It is an iPod adapter for the music system on the Prius. I then played with it for while. It's pretty neat. The connector is inside the glove box, long enough to extend outside if needed. From the existing touch screen audio display it appears you have an an extra CD player from where you control your your iPod, selecting playlists etc.

Now we are all set for these long trips we have planned (we bought the GPS Christmas before last).

Later this afternoon we'll be off to a fitness class.

Oh, and while I was waiting at the dealer I was reading "A Short of History of Nearly Early Everything" by Bill Bryson and discovered why the English call Aluminum Aluminium. The discoverer, Humphry Davy isolated it in 1808 and named it Alumium. 4 years later he changed his mind and renamed it Aluminum and the Americans started using the name but the British actually preferred Alumium as it was consistent with Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium etc and they renamed it Aluminium. I also wondered why that difference existed
Old 02-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #3340
Give me a forum ...

I had my first solo jazz piano gig today, playing during a lunch of women's clubs. It went well.