Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #3421
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday, went and dug my skid steer out of a snow bank at a job site so I could bring it home to clear snow around the house- took most of the day, a lot of digging by hand. Took it easy once I got home, that's not my wine, lol.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #3422
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Yesterday, went and dug my skid steer out of a snow bank at a job site so I could bring it home to clear snow around the house- took most of the day, a lot of digging by hand. Took it easy once I got home, that's not my wine, lol.
So that the dog's wine, huh? BTW, what's a "skid steer"? Being in Fairfax County, (land of snow and ice) I suspect DH might want one too. He loves tools. Just recently bought a new chain saw to replace his old one. Not complaining - he uses it for firewood and the old one lasted over 30 years!
Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #3423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
BTW, what's a "skid steer"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skid_steer.jpg (30.5 KB, 101 views)
Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #3424

Quote:
Just recently bought a new chain saw to replace his old one. Not complaining - he uses it for firewood and the old one lasted over 30 years!
We're getting ready to buy a chain saw this spring. We lost a blue spruce in all this massive snow and are hopeful that we can chop it up ourselves with a chain saw (which we've been thinking about buying anyway).

Do you have any recommendations?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #3425
Give me a forum ...

It's 4:28 and all I have done today is email, surf, get the snail mail, and make chicken and mushroom curry in the crockpot.
My grand finale will be making rice. Then I shall sink, exhausted from my toils , back into the recliner.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #3426
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It's 4:28 and all I have done today is email, surf, get the snail mail, and make chicken and mushroom curry in the crockpot.
My grand finale will be making rice. Then I shall sink, exhausted from my toils , back into the recliner.
Sounds like MY day so far! Only I did not cook. I slept in, and then upon awakening I went back to sleep just because I could. Slept until 10 AM. Then got dressed, drank a cup of coffee and Frank took me out to lunch where I ate FAR too much.

Outside the restaurant (which is located right at the 17th St. Canal pump station) was a tour bus. Those tourists, parading out of the pump station tour, looked a lot happier and more confident than any residents I know concerning its adequacy but oh well.

After lunch, we went over to Frank's house for a while and spent some time together. Then he dropped me off back at my house on his way to his job, and ever since I have been e-mailing, surfing the net, and napping on and off.... Eventually, if I feel like it I might put up some painter's tape so that I can paint the woodwork a different color, a little later on this week. I have a really pretty color of paint to try.

This is the life!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #3427

Quote:
So that the dog's wine, huh? BTW, what's a "skid steer"?
Yes, Deago prefers a nice glass of white after a day of snoozing.

Thanks for the skid steer picture. Today I drove to Ashland, VA to pick up a snow plow for mine and used it to clear the remaining snow from the drives here in Leesburg, VA as a test. Decided to buy the plow because we have about a 1600' gravel drive at the property where we're building our retirement house so wanted to have the right equipment to dig out. Ashland, about a 4 hour round trip, was the only place I could find a plow in stock, the guy there said this one had been delivered yesterday by accident but he knew he'd be able to sell it. I looked for a plow last week but none to be found, found this one on Ebay yesterday afternoon.
Really retired!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #3428
Recycles dryer sheets

Really retired!

I've had one foot in retirement, the other in freelance writing for about a year. Today, I sent my clients an email telling them that I would no longer be available for work. I guess that makes me officially retired! YIKES!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #3429
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
We're getting ready to buy a chain saw this spring. We lost a blue spruce in all this massive snow and are hopeful that we can chop it up ourselves with a chain saw (which we've been thinking about buying anyway).

It kind of depends on your needs, but you can't go wrong with a Stihl chainsaw. They don't sell them at the big box stores, but they are not overpriced, given the quality. The inexpensive ones at the big box stores these days are mostly made in China, even though they bear the names of brands that you would recognize from the past.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #3430
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No expert here, but my instincts are telling me you do not want to mess up a brand new chain with all that fresh sap from a blue spruce.
Calling all closet chainsaw wielding forum members...wanna help me out here?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #3431

Do you have any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

I'd second the recommendation for Stihl chainsaws. I have a portable sawmill business and always have a couple of Stihl saws on my truck, very satisfied. Sounds like something with a 14" or 16" bar would work for what you're trying to do, big enough to do some serious sawing but would be light enough for lugging around. If you haven't used a chainsaw before, don't forget the safety equipment and try to get someone to help you, they're not complicated but can do damage quickly if not handled the right way.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #3432

I have today off (I went back to work this week, but it's only part-time...yeah!). I did a bit of surfing off and on today, but most of the day was spent cleaning. I've decided Thursdays will be cleaning day and Fridays grocery shopping. The weekend will then be free for DH and I to do fun stuff or projects.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 02-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #3433
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yup. We lost some trees too. DH's Sears chainsaw lasted 32 years. He bought another one.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #3434
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Thanks REWahoo. Now I know what a skid steer is, I want one of these plus a big as* show blower to make sure we never, ever, have to shovel like we did this season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skid_steer.jpg (30.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 02-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #3435
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm Dave...your dog looks like it has a little buzz goin'....great pic by the way.

Today I went to a meeting at the police department in regards to a new volunteer opportunity. I'll be working in CID discussing issues with victims. Sounds interesting, eh..but if I don't like it I can say 'no thanks'. That's one of the great things about volunteering.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #3436
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm Dave...your dog looks like it has a little buzz goin'....great pic by the way.

Today I went to a meeting at the police department in regards to a new volunteer opportunity. I'll be working in CID discussing issues with victims. Sounds interesting, eh..but if I don't like it I can say 'no thanks'. That's one of the great things about volunteering.
Sounds interesting. I work with victims too but mostly of the animal variety. My charity group has been supporting an effort in cooperation with the local police dept to find a way to get animals outta homes with domestic violance while the peeps find a way out. We learned what keeps people from getting out of really bad situations is finding a way to take care of the kids and pets before getting out. Man oh man. You wouldn't believe the demand.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #3437
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds interesting. I work with victims too but mostly of the animal variety. My charity group has been supporting a effort in cooperation with the local police dept to find a place for animals in homes with domestic violance while the peeps find a way out. We learned what keeps people from getting out of really bad situations is finding a way to take care of the kids and pets before getting out.
Bless your heart Purron...you speak for the ones that can't. I'm so proud of you!
Quote:
Man oh man. You wouldn't believe the demand.
Unfortunately, I would.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #3438
Moderator Emeritus

So Dave, how do you keep those socks so white?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 02-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #3439
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

I thought I might do some volunteer work when I retired. Only problem is.......they don't pay you.

Played another 9 holes today and trimmed more bushes at my mother's house. Her back yard looked a little on the jungle side. But looking good now, you wouldn't believe how much I have piled up at the street ready to be hauled away. I'm sore and need a med.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #3440
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If you are sure you want to do this, only way to go is a Stihl. I have one still going strong that I bought many years ago.

However, what my advice would be is to take a little of the money you would spend on this and get somebody else to get rid of the tree. Spruce is mediocre firewood at best, and chainsaws are dangerous, loud and no fun.

Then buy some nice seasoned hardwood for your fireplace.

Ha