what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went for breakfast with my neighbor and another friend, then came home and worked out in the gardens doing more Spring clean-up! Only 4 more garden beds to clean-up....tomorrow!!!

After being outside all day enjoying the gorgeous weather...sunny skies and 81°...I fired up the the charcoal grill and did up a couple of extremely nice & tender 2-lb prime ribeyes...cooked medium...and a couple of big ol' baked taters, and about a pound of sauteed mushrooms!!!

Now getting ready to head for the kitchen to have some fresh strawberries over a hunk of angelfood cake, topped off with a generous "plop" of Cool Whip!!!

Life is GREAT....and those ribeyes were too!!! :greetings10:

Today I had a very productive day at w*rk. After coming home I tallied all my information and calculated my NW, which I do annually on this date. NW has risen 23% since last year, due to a combination of LBYM, strong markets, additional portfolio diversification and a good deal or two. Very reassuring!

Drove out to the PD pistol range to renew my weapons permits and have my [-]Get Out of Jail Card[/-] identification updated. Pack of retired guys/gals there as well, so we chatted about how wonderful retirement was.

One topic of conversation was about a man who has to be the oldest serving police officer in the U.S. He is 92 years old and refuses to retire. He swears that work is the only thing keeping him alive, because everyone he went to the police academy with died after retiring. He has no wife or kids so his pension and lump sum payment will just revert to the pension when he dies. That, or his cat will be the richest feline in town.

I first met the man 25 years ago, and he had hash marks on his sleeve up to his elbow (each one = 5 years of service). Darn things probably go to his shoulder today. Even then they had removed him from "real" police duties, and his job was to do the mail runs between his station and headquarters. His duties also apparently involved flirting with all the young female clerks in whatever division he wandered into.

We don't have a mandatory retirement age, but that's never been much of a problem because everybody eventually retired or died before they got to such an advanced age. We've had a few that tried their darndest, but nobody has come within anything less than 20 years of this man. The guy is still hanging in there, and has a near perfect attendance record (he told his bosses years ago what funeral home he prefers, "in case I don't come in to work one morning.").

He doesn't hang around for the money - back before direct deposit they had to order him to go deposit his paychecks because he was screwing up the books in payroll by hanging on to them for more than a year. He really believes he will live forever as long as he goes to work every day.

The most recent chief (an outsider from another state) tried to fire him because he thought he was a liability. Apparently his driving skills were deteriorating and he really didn't think it necessary to stay and explain himself after backing into somebody's parked car. After it got to be a bit too regular the chief decided he had enough. But he quickly learned that the man is something of an institution, if not a legend, in the black community. He worked one of the city's oldest historically black neighborhoods since WWII, and there's not a black elected representative/senator or council member that's served in the last 40-50 years, who he doesn't know on a first name basis. Probably knows their parents and grandparents as well. The chief got enough calls from powerful folks that he made some arrangements for the old man, and he no longer drives a police car. They have him assigned downtown doing something that gives him plenty of time to flirt with clerks.

A man who most definitely does not get the concept of retirement.

They will miss you, bbbamI.

But, but, but, what will you do all day? ;)

I turned in my resignation letter to the Director of Volunteers tonight. I've volunteered at the police department for nine and a half years and it's time to move on.

I got tired of a schedule, so I think I'm 'moving on' to not really knowing or caring what day it is. Sounds pretty good to me. :)
WOW, I go to bed early and look what I missed! :cool:

Sounds like a good decision if it was becoming a "schedule" thing. We don't need no stinking schedules in FIRE. ;)

:dance::dance::dance: Today is my 3 year anniversary of FIRE. No fooling ;)

Accordingly, the cliche du jour is "3 is a charm". :greetings10::greetings10::greetings10:

What better way to spend it than to attend a retirement luncheon with a bunch of other retirees from the same zoo. BONUS points: the "dress code" for the event is casual. :D

I turned in my resignation letter to the Director of Volunteers tonight. I've volunteered at the police department for nine and a half years and it's time to move on.

I got tired of a schedule, so I think I'm 'moving on' to not really knowing or caring what day it is. Sounds pretty good to me. :)

Wow, I had no idea you were contemplating this. Big change! Very exciting! Congrats!

One topic of conversation was about a man who has to be the oldest serving police officer in the U.S. He is 92 years old and refuses to retire. He swears that work is the only thing keeping him alive,

A man who most definitely does not get the concept of retirement.

A lot of people like this. My old company has an 85 year old salesman. He feels this way. Amazing he is able to hang in there as the salesmen are required to enter all sales orders on a laptop. He is as slow as Christmas on the pc, but he gets it done. Heck of a salesman though. Well liked by all. And he drives a Hummer.:)

Congratulations on re-retiring !

Have you got to turn in the gun, cuffs, badge, spray can, baton/sap/stick...:D:D?
You gonna devote all your new free time to us:):)?

But, but, but, what will you do all day? ;)
Eh heh...yeah I wonder....that's the fun part. :cool:

Wow, I had no idea you were contemplating this. Big change! Very exciting! Congrats!
Thanks....:flowers:

I have been thinking about this for the past couple of months. Kind of a tough decision, but I've been dodging bullets for a while now....especially lately.

It does feel like I'm re-retiring :blink: ...but I don't think I'll get severance pay. :D

WOW, I go to bed early and look what I missed! :cool:

Sounds like a good decision if it was becoming a "schedule" thing. We don't need no stinking schedules in FIRE. ;)
I snuck one in on ya didn't I? >:D

Congratulations on 3 years of retirement! :flowers:

Have you got to turn in the gun, cuffs, badge, spray can, baton/sap/stick...:D:D?
You know me better than that...I have my own. :cool:
You gonna devote all your new free time to us:):)?
But of course.......;)

Beautiful day today - 75! My tractor fired up with only a little banging on the starter so my lawn is mowed for the first time. It really is spring - April 1st and the grass jumped up to 6 inches right on time. This about the first year I've been able to actually mow the grass on time and before it gets 12-18 inches high in the spring. I'm loving this retirement thing.

81° F
I declared today the First Day of Spring™.
Put out birdbath and clothesline.
Nothing quite like the smell of line-dried sheets.

Enjoyed walking through the neighborhood today and admiring all the blooming plants. Seems like with the great weather the past couple of days the blooms have just popped. Cleaned out leaves from the flower bed---pansies and daffodils are in bloom there now. Put a cheese souffle in the oven and surfing the net while it bakes. Life is good.

Man I love this thread. Spice addicts. Reading out loud. Laundry on the line. Police men who can't drive. Plops of Cool Whip.

Nothing quite like the smell of line-dried sheets.

I can still remember my mother swearing a blue streak while she ripped bird-pooped-on sheets from the clothesline and stuffing them back into the washing machine.

Absent the bird-poop, they did smell good.

Beautiful day today - 75! My tractor fired up with only a little banging on the starter so my lawn is mowed for the first time. It really is spring - April 1st and the grass jumped up to 6 inches right on time. This about the first year I've been able to actually mow the grass on time and before it gets 12-18 inches high in the spring. I'm loving this retirement thing.

About the same weather here. I tried to fire up my lawn tractor but it wouldn't start. The 2006 battery had run its course. popped a new one in and it fired up and ran fine. Better than last year when it burst into flames on its first start.

Used it to move some landscaping retaining wall blocks. Also burned the remnants of my old deck.

Butterflies.

The Botanic Garden has a Butterfly Exhibit, which ends this week. Nice warm tropical conservatory , with beautiful trees, shrubs, etc, and a bunch of butterflies. We risked the exhibit, realizing that the local schools were busing in lots of kids to gee whiz the butterflies. Here you are, watch the video. The Fort Worth Botanic Garden - Sanctuary for the Senses

Afterwards, lunch at Macaroni Grill. A nice nap. Now, I sit sipping Yellowtail Merlot, browsing the internet, waiting for the Mavericks to beat the Orlando Magic. Tomorrow is another day which I expect to be as good as this one.

I'm so glad I retired. Life is good.

I suspected as much so once during a Giants football game I told my husband I was emtying the bank account and running away with his boss . He didn't even flinch so I guess that membrame really works !:)

My two half-sisters still laugh about the time they asked preoccupied Dad "Can we put the cat in the meat grinder?"

"Sure, go ahead."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom