what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, much progress is being made on your house. I enjoy watching the progress also. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the comments and so far, no big issues. The logs for the house are cut and milled at a sawmill in PA to the specs that are submitted by our builder. I've been amazed at how tight things have fit together and how little persuasion (large mallet) has been needed.

Only downside so far has been that the well ended up needing a lining to prevent crumbling stone from falling in on the pump which was about a $2200 item and we only have 4 gallons per minute of water flow. That should be plenty for normal residential use and we don't plan to have any large lawns that need irrigation or cutting, lol.

The concrete in the front is the foundation for a 3 car garage (lowest level) and then the builder will frame a 28'x36' single story on that foundation that will be my workshop. We hope to get that dried in around early June so I can do the siding, wiring, and plumbing while I'm on site watching the construction of the house the rest of the summer.

House is targeted to be done early fall but we don't plan to move there until next year full time. We've told the builder that we're no in a hurry so there may be some times where progress is pretty slow. Some of his guys are staying overnight on the site to be able to start early and work late but are only there 3 or 4 days a week.

We are amazed at the number of decisions that go in to a house and we're really just getting started as we start finalizing on the interior finishes, colors, appliances, etc. Hope it doesn't get overwhelming for my DW as she tends to agonize a bit more on that type of thing than I do.

Here's a link to a blog with more details on the house construction for those interested and thanks again for the comments:
Romney West Virginia Log House Build

We are amazed at the number of decisions that go in to a house and we're really just getting started as we start finalizing on the interior finishes, colors, appliances, etc. Hope it doesn't get overwhelming for my DW as she tends to agonize a bit more on that type of thing than I do.
Uh oh. This could be a problem since, based on our experience, you really do have to pick out everything - down to the hinges on the kitchen cabinets, the door knobs, the electrical switch plates, the toilet paper holder, etc. As you fear, it really can be overwhelming.

Yesterday was rainy/yucky so played around with Photoshop. A steep learning curve on that.

Took DW out to dinner with a gift card to her favorite restaurant. The gift card was a "thank you" to her for watching after their toddler for a few days.

Took some pictures of DW and I'm starting to get the hang of layers in Photoshop and using them to soften features in a portrait photo. She's gonna like the results!

I've been cleaning out a couple of bedrooms as a friend sold her house & needs a place to land for a while. Took another 200 garments to the goodwill from my formerly active use closets this time. I can still get rid of a bunch more. I need to consolidate into a couple closets as well. It needs to be done anyway. This weekend I help her move to storage. Her house sale is encouraging.

Decided to dig up a tree stump today. Got the shovel and axe, then DH said, "You don't need to be doin' that." So he took care of it. Meanwhile I considered a Japanese Maple for the newly dug hole. After some investigating seems as if this tree would curl up like a Frito during the TX summer heat, so I decided on a Crepe Myrtle instead. Picked one out at the nursery and they will deliver and plant it next Wednesday.

Hmmm....got the stump dug up and will have the Crepe Myrtle planted next week....and I didn't even break a nail....:whistle:

amazed at the number of decisions that go into building a house

Having gone through the construction of a house, I can't even view your blog without getting stressed. PTSD.

Check out Julieanna Kost's Blog featuring her 1-2 sentence tutorials. That should help dampen the curve.

Nice site. I bookmarked it. Thanks!

DW did like the results I came up with, and I printed out a nice glossy portrait of her than I'm gonna put up somewhere around here.

Last edited:
Enjoyed an early-season south shore swell today, and we're goin' back for more on Sunday. I think I might have to verify conditions on Tuesday, too, but unfortunately our teen has to attend school for another 11 days. She was quick to point out that I could write her an excuse, or she could still graduate with up to six unexcused absences. This should play well at college.

Broke my first fin today. I didn't feel the board hit anything but the fin was hanging by plastic threads when I resurfaced after a wipeout. So I'll be surfing old-school for a few days.

After lunch and a nap, I replaced the anode rod in our solar water heater. This is eight years of wear. We use a whole-house water conditioner so I could probably have gotten away with another 2-3 years on this one, but I decided not to push my luck.

Attachments

• Bad April at White Plains.JPG
    Bad April at White Plains.JPG
    395.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P4230096.JPG
    P4230096.JPG
    416.6 KB · Views: 1
  • P4230097.JPG
    P4230097.JPG
    392.6 KB · Views: 1
Mulch season is coming fast. My back hurts whenever I shovel mulch - usually 14 cubic yards of it. So I installed a loader bucket on my ATV to do the work.

bucket.jpeg

Mulch season is coming fast. My back hurts whenever I shovel mulch - usually 14 cubic yards of it. So I installed a loader bucket on my ATV to do the work.

Nice! Our local landfill has free mulch but you have to load it yourself with shovels. I have a small tractor at the house and wish I could take it with me when I pick up a load. Machinery, when it works, really helps.

I have been visiting my daughter,SIL and two year old grandson . We've had a ball but I am now soooo tired . I've played cars on his GEO tracks ,been to the zoo , went to chucky Cheese and just tried to keep up with a toddler .Im ready for some rest .:)

Today we have to start looking for a new place to live. Drat!

We were so smug here in our teeny, garage apartment aerie, looking down on a lovely garden,
garden.JPG
and then our landlord (who is also a very good friend) told us that he had been offered the job of a lifetime and would be selling his house and moving.

:eek:

A major disadvantage to renting, and one that doesn't show up on spreadsheets.

Allow me a little ranting here...
:rant:

and maybe even a little head banging...
:banghead:

Today we have to start looking for a new place to live. Drat!

We were so smug here in our teeny, garage apartment aerie, looking down on a lovely garden, and then our landlord (who is also a very good friend) told us that he had been offered the job of a lifetime and would be selling his house and moving.
Can you make him an offer (sans real estate agent fees) he can't refuse? Maybe you can move into the big house and rent out your current digs...

Can you make him an offer (sans real estate agent fees) he can't refuse? Maybe you can move into the big house and rent out your current digs...
I believe they are asking $1.2MM. A wee bit more than we want to pay, even with rental income.

Anyway, I would hate to have somebody living in my backyard. :LOL:

I believe they are asking $1.2MM. A wee bit more than we want to pay, even with rental income.

Anyway, I would hate to have somebody living in my backyard. :LOL:

Eek!! :eek: yes, $1.2MM is a bit much for most of us.

Look at this as an opportunity. There are great apartments out there yet to be discovered. You might find one that you like even better, for other reasons.

I bought a piano, like this,

piano-side.jpg

at a rummage sale for $60 (Yamaha CLP560). I used to have this same model, and I paid $2,400 for it. I see them now in Craigslist for between $600 and $1200. It looks and sounds perfect.

Now I've got to figure out what to do with it.

It could save me the take down and set up time when I take my gig piano to a gig, but I don't have anywhere to keep the gig piano.

I might donate it to a nursing home where I play their problematic piano.

I could keep it in my bass player's house, so we could have rehearsals there.

I could give it to one of my sisters to replace her junky piano.

Or I could sell it for $600.

IP, I feel your pain. The house we rent has also been sold for a similar price, so we are in the process of moving. Movers come on Wed to remove the furniture then it's a case of unpacking everything. What surprised me was how hard it was to find a rental, lots of overpriced junk.

at a rummage sale for $60 (Yamaha CLP560). I used to have this same model, and I paid $2,400 for it. I see them now in Craigslist for between $600 and $1200. It looks and sounds perfect.

How can that be? I would buy it for $60, even though I play no piano. I just know I would be able to make money with such a deal, somehow.

Sweet! I'm getting my first 7 cu.yds. on Tuesday. My pitchfork and wheelbarrow are incredibly envious (as is my back!)

Now I've got to figure out what to do with it.

It could save me the take down and set up time when I take my gig piano to a gig, but I don't have anywhere to keep the gig piano.

I might donate it to a nursing home where I play their problematic piano.

I could keep it in my bass player's house, so we could have rehearsals there.

I could give it to one of my sisters to replace her junky piano.

Or I could sell it for $600.

As a bass player, I vote for option 2! But no matter what, sounds like a win-win situation. Congrats!

If you did, wouldn't you get to deduct $600 to $1,200 as a Charitable Contribution deduction? Check with your Tax person.

Good idea, thanks.

DW is starting to refer to the living room as the "music studio," so it's time here may be limited. It cleaned up real nicely. In a blind listening test, DW slightly preferred the new $60 piano.

Attachments

• Clavinova 002.jpg
    Clavinova 002.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 2
Nice find Al. :cool:

At 4:15 this afternoon I posted a 'freebie' on Craigslist. I had a large mirror I wanted to get rid of. By 7:00 it was gone. The guy drove an hour to get here. :p While waiting on the guy, I got six other requests for the mirror. It's nice to give someone something they need/want. :)

My daughter needed help with moving some used furniture that she bought, from a friend's house to her apartment. So we rented a U-Haul trailer that I towed with my SUV. After finishing that job, I suggested that we should go to Ikea to get herself a new mattress while we still had the trailer.

Ikea was crowded with shoppers. They were buying, not just looking. I have not been to Ikea for a while, but did not expect so many shoppers. Just another sign, perhaps, that the economy is recovering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom