Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #4301
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Hey Dawg that dog is turning out to be a keeper. What's his name?
He really is a keeper, he owns the place.

Today plumbers are replacing the toilet and messing with the pipes under the tub and Miss Kitty is fascinated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #4302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey Dawg that dog is turning out to be a keeper. What's his name?
Micah. A name given by his previous owner. Not your typical dog name, but he knew it. So I kept it.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #4303
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Micah. A name given by his previous owner. Not your typical dog name, but he knew it. So I kept it.
Years ago we got a "used" dog named Zeus. Actually, his entire name was "Chief God Zeus." We changed his name to Spike.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #4304
Give me a forum ...

Today I did something I have never done in one round of golf and I have played for over 42 years. I had 2 eagles. Made a 30+ foot putt for one and chipped in for another from about 20 yards. Didn't make any birdies and shot 74. Made a couple of double bogeys to cancel them out though.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #4305
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Today I did something I have never done in one round of golf and I have played for over 42 years. I had 2 eagles. Made a 30+ foot putt for one and chipped in for another from about 20 yards. Didn't make any birdies and shot 74. Made a couple of double bogeys to cancel them out though.
Holy Cow! There aren't many days like that in a person's life. What an experience.

Frank's Murano is still in the shop, so I got to drive my Venza today. I get such a kick out of driving it! What a car. Anyway, we went to lunch (shared a po'boy), and then saw Ironman II. We only had to pay senior matinee prices, of course ($5), and the theater had no more than 5 other people in it so that was a lot of fun and great entertainment. It was right across the street from my former workplace so that was kind of neat.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #4306
Give me a forum ...

Eagles, birdies and bogeys...oh my!

Got up this morning early enough to have my coffee, shower and get prepared to meet a friend from the PD for lunch. Replied to some emails and PMs, moved some money around, then before I knew it, it was time for supper.

DH hopped on the motorcycle and made a cheeseburger run to Sonic..(they're half priced on Tuesdays) and of course had to get some onion rings. This has become a ritual now...whether we're in the mood for cheeseburgers or not.

Later we sat on the patio watching the clouds float by, then watched a little boob tube and devoured some fresh strawberries. I'm exhausted...what a day....
Old 05-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #4307
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday I went to Iron Man 2. Meh. Some dialogue would be nice and too bad Robert Downey Jr. can't even play himself. Mickey Rourke wasn't bad though. And then had a 79 cent taco from Taco Johns for Taco Tuesday. Feeling trashy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 05-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #4308
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yesterday I went to Iron Man 2. Meh. Some dialogue would be nice and too bad Robert Downey Jr. can't even play himself. Mickey Rourke wasn't bad though. And then had a 79 cent taco from Taco Johns for Taco Tuesday. Feeling trashy.
I watched it yesterday and was thinking "Wow!!" Way over the top.

But dialogue seems optional in high-ordnance flicks. And I enjoy picking out the one-liners which would be classics on submarine duty, like "You might want to lead with that one next time"...

I wonder if they had to get rid of some of Mickey's tattoos for the movie. And I wonder if they used any makeup on him. Scariest appearance since Keith Richards in one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.

And whose "brilliant" idea was it to give Larry Ellison a cameo? Was he a seven-figure investor?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #4309
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today I am working 8 hours and then going to the gym. Later will have a glass of Proseco and watch "Hurt Locker." (May need 2-3 glass of Proseco with this movie.)
Old 05-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #4310
Give me a forum ...

Hey everyone I just returned from the 4th galaxy...
I haven't been here much because the weather is nice and I've been playing catch-up on car inspections and lawn mowing and all sorts of stuff.
I'll be back on a little more once it rains.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #4311
Full time employment: Posting here.

I planted my summer garden! DH had roto-tilled it, and it was already for rows and hills. Then came 12 tomato plants, 12 green and yellow pepper plants, beets, sun flowers, green beans acorn squash, flying saucer squash, yellow squash, and gourds. Next will be the corn...Yea!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #4312
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, just the usual reckless Boomer spending.

Our kid is counting down her final 87 days, checking the "last" things off her list. As I've mentioned before, we're hoping to keep her busy with the "last"s so that she doesn't go looking for her personal "first"s.

Today we enjoyed 2-4-foot morning surfing in Waikiki and lunched poolside. While spouse & kid were checking the stores I stayed poolside to savor a mid-afternoon shave ice along with a good bikini book. Now we're hanging out in the hotel room until we go to the sunset luau. It's our 20th or 30th luau, but at this point watching the visitors is almost as much fun as watching the dancers.

Tomorrow after dawn patrol we're going to walk Kalakaua and the International Marketplace. (She's looking for surfing stickers to put in her dorm room.) We'll lunch at one of her favorite Waikiki restaurants (to be determined later). Then we're going to do what any good parent would do for their kid-- take her to the Waikiki Gun Shop to burn through a few clips at their indoor range before she starts NROTC small-arms training.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #4313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Then we're going to do what any good parent would do for their kid-- take her to the Waikiki Gun Shop to burn through a few clips at their indoor range before she starts NROTC small-arms training.
Hmph, isn't Hawaii one of those "we don't like guns and you can't have one" places? She'll like Texas - we have a different view on such things here. Here's a link to a nice indoor range that's close to her school. She can get her concealed carry permit there as well (as soon as she's 21): Welcome to Top Gun Range of Texas | Shooting Range, Retail Store, Training Classes, Certified Handgu
Old 05-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #4314

Spent half of yesterday playing around with Photoshop fixing up pictures that DW took at her niece's Special Olympics track day in Baltimore. Out of the many there were a few that I could crop some nice images from, do a little touch-up here and there and viola! a nice photo. One in particular that DW likes is of niece sitting on the bleachers with her best friend that I cropped with a feathered oval and blurred the rest of the background.

So we went out to Wally world and bought some picture frames, printed the good ones and framed them, and copied the rest of the photos to a CD. All that will be given to niece when we next go over there.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #4315
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Hmph, isn't Hawaii one of those "we don't like guns and you can't have one" places? She'll like Texas - we have a different view on such things here. Here's a link to a nice indoor range that's close to her school. She can get her concealed carry permit there as well (as soon as she's 21): Welcome to Top Gun Range of Texas | Shooting Range, Retail Store, Training Classes, Certified Handgu
Well, it's intended to give the police an advantage by limiting us residents to no more firepower than what HPD's finest is carrying. And many pig hunters consider firearms unsporting-- that's what dogs & bows are for.

The good news is that when my FIL moved here he decided to give up his 9mm Beretta. The one that he'd taken to leaving loaded, chambered, & (reportedly) safetied in his bedroom nightstand. That would've been an uncomfortable grandkid sleepover discussion.

The bad news is that very few around here see weapons training as a good thing, even in the military. One of the Navy's most dangerous weapons is the inport duty officer carrying a firearm. But, hey, they shot a whole clip last year!

In any case, Hawaii's "restrictive" gun laws pale in comparison to countries that don't have a Second Amendment. The Japanese visitors see the Waikiki Gun Shop (which must pay a horrendous rent for the privilege of hurling lead around) as a licentious, illicit thrill for which they'll pay top dollar. And at least our kid has stopped flinching when she pulls the trigger.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #4316

I had a friend visit from the UK a few years ago and the first thing he wanted to do was go to the shooting range with a few of my guns.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #4317
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I had a friend visit from the UK a few years ago and the first thing he wanted to do was go to the shooting range with a few of my guns.
I noticed that when engineers from Europe or Asia were stationed here for any length of time they were keen to drive the biggest honking car that they could buy. I guess it must seem like a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #4318
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Spent half of yesterday playing around with Photoshop fixing up pictures that DW took at her niece's Special Olympics track day in Baltimore. Out of the many there were a few that I could crop some nice images from, do a little touch-up here and there and viola! a nice photo. One in particular that DW likes is of niece sitting on the bleachers with her best friend that I cropped with a feathered oval and blurred the rest of the background.

So we went out to Wally world and bought some picture frames, printed the good ones and framed them, and copied the rest of the photos to a CD. All that will be given to niece when we next go over there.
That is the best gift ever! She will love it. You are a great uncle. (As opposed to a great-uncle!)
Old 05-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #4319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Yeah, I think it's a theme with them. This is Mike the Brit engineer who was working here for a while sometime back. We took him out shooting and somewhere along the line we decided to deck him out and take a souvenir photo for him to take back home and show the lads. He promised to tell them all that this was the normal everyday attire for the average Joe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0175.jpg (284.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #4320
Give me a forum ...

I'm on my way outside to do battle (actually just a holding action -they are undefeatable) with Canada thistle in the front plantings. Found a bargain this a.m. at Wal-Mart: I use fluoride rinse daily because of sensitive teeth. ACT rinse costs over $6.00 at the supermarket. Wal-Mart's brand "Equate" has identical ingredients, same size (18 oz) for $2.48.
Amethyst
Closed Thread