Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #4441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
DUCK!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #4442
Moderator Emeritus

Some call for rice wine, others sherry, I would just drink from the bottle:

Recipe: Roast Drunken Duck (Hong Kong)
Old 05-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #4443
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I, on the other hand, am still waiting for Frank to pick me up for lunch. He just called and said he had just awakened so it will be a little while longer. The thunderstorm made it easy to sleep late this morning.
Do I understand correctly that he woke up at 2:30 pm?

Extra good time last night?

Ha
Old 05-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #4444
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
black light dance party
Lookin' good!

SimpleGirl.jpg
Old 05-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #4445
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Lookin' good!
+1
Old 05-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #4446
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do I understand correctly that he woke up at 2:30 pm?

Extra good time last night?

Ha
Sounds pretty good, doesn't it! But actually he just felt like he was coming down with something, so after going to bed at 4 AM (about average for him these days) he slept a long time.
Quote:
I believe you meant to say "this afternoon", eh?
That, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #4447

Quote:
Today we did the usual - but then the unusual happened.
Whoa! That's quite an exciting lunch! Glad everyone stayed safe.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 05-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #4448
Give me a forum ...

Today we took our greyhound for her first canoe ride. It was either an act of faith or stupidity as at 70 pounds, she could easily tip the canoe if she got too crazy. She passed with flying colors, though and I think she'll be a good canoe dog. She didn't even mind wearing the silly life preserver. Later we took her for a wade, but she didn't want to swim. All in good time.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #4449
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Today we took our greyhound for her first canoe ride. It was either an act of faith or stupidity as at 70 pounds, she could easily tip the canoe if she got too crazy. She passed with flying colors, though and I think she'll be a good canoe dog. She didn't even mind wearing the silly life preserver. Later we took her for a wade, but she didn't want to swim. All in good time.
A greyhound in a life preserver? Oh man, ya gotta post photos.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #4450
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
A greyhound in a life preserver? Oh man, ya gotta post photos.
No body fat - they don't float that well.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #4451
Give me a forum ...

I made these low-carb brownies with Splenda, and they were not good -- had an artificial aftertaste. Had to throw them away. Repeated using erythritol, and they were great. Too good to be true.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #4452

Glad to hear that it ended well, REWahoo. That is too exciting a lunch for me.

Black light dance party sounds fun and yes, you are looking good.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #4453

Fired up the charcoal beast this afternoon, and grilled prawns, Italian sausages, and a couple of beautiful USDA Choice hand-cut 2 lb. ribeyes. We ate half the prawns and half the ribeyes, along with a couple of nice tossed salads, baked taters smothered in butter, and sauteed mushrooms.

The Italian sausages are for Tuesday's dinner, while the other half of the ribeyes are for Wednesday's dinner. The rest of the prawns will be snackin' fodder, and will be history by this time tomorrow! Whenever I cook-out, I always grill up a bunch of extra stuff, and usually put it in zip-locks in the freezer for future.

Other than that, we watched some of the Indy 500, the Cubs vs. Cards game, and the NASCAR Coca-Cola 600.....it was too hot and muggy to do much outside today, so it was indoor activities mostly.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #4454
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm spending Memorial Day watching Band of Brothers - Spike TV played all 10 episodes, uncut, back-to-back. It began at 8 AM and will end an hour from now at 10:40 PM. This is the fourth time I've seen it but only the second time I've seen the full unedited version. It is a superb story and a first-rate production.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #4455
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm spending Memorial Day watching Band of Brothers - Spike TV played all 10 episodes, uncut, back-to-back. It began at 8 AM and will end an hour from now at 10:40 PM. This is the fourth time I've seen it but only the second time I've seen the full unedited version. It is a superb story and a first-rate production.
REW, I have to agree with you about Band of Brothers. I was simply blown away by the series when it was played on cable several years back. As soon as it was available, I purchased the boxed set of DVDs of this mini-series. The production is so flawless that it almost, but not quite, overshadows the whole story of E-Co., 2nd Batt., 506th PIR, 101st Airborne. You couldn't make up a better story than what these guys accomplished.

Today, DW and I decorated graves at Punchbowl cemetery National Cemetery of the Pacific We heard that organizations were short of leis this year for decoration, so DW made several. This year we found the grave of an Indiana native, Ernie Pyle. Every time we go, we seek out the grave of someone we feel a special connection to. It's always a moving experience, but when you see Memorial Day decorations with all the US flags, it's breath taking. If you ever travel to the Islands, Punchbowl is my second recommendation of sites to see after Pearl Harbor memorial.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #4456
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
If you ever travel to the Islands, Punchbowl is my second recommendation of sites to see after Pearl Harbor memorial.
+1.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #4457
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
If you ever travel to the Islands, Punchbowl is my second recommendation of sites to see after Pearl Harbor memorial.
+2. Perhaps not #2 but certainly in the "Do not, under any circumstances, fail to visit" category -- a very moving experience.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #4458
Moderator Emeritus

Now that the weekend is over, things are much less crowded. It's vehicle renewal time, so I took the old Miata out for a smog check at a local test place. For some reason the drive home took a couple of hours and a quarter tank of gas.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #4459
Give me a forum ...

Let's see:

Went to work
Swore at non-functional email
Spoke to a contact about a possible new job
Swore at non-functional emal
Lunch
Had a pointed discussion with my boss about my need to move up (damn soon) or out of my current employer
Swore at non-functional email
Completed about half my application for possible new job, a lengthy online process replete with essay questions
Dismissed early by boss due to non-functional email

Now on way home. Upstate NY style grilled chicken and fresh spinach for dinner tonight (plus whatever we make for my emphatically vegetarian 5YO)

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 06-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #4460

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Now on way home. Upstate NY style grilled chicken ...
Is this what you mean? Upstate NY barbecue chicken guide

If not, please share your recipe. Thanks for making me google it - this one looks good too!