what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made these low-carb brownies with Splenda, and they were not good -- had an artificial aftertaste. Had to throw them away. Repeated using erythritol, and they were great. Too good to be true.

Glad to hear that it ended well, REWahoo. That is too exciting a lunch for me.

Black light dance party sounds fun and yes, you are looking good.

Fired up the charcoal beast this afternoon, and grilled prawns, Italian sausages, and a couple of beautiful USDA Choice hand-cut 2 lb. ribeyes. We ate half the prawns and half the ribeyes, along with a couple of nice tossed salads, baked taters smothered in butter, and sauteed mushrooms.

The Italian sausages are for Tuesday's dinner, while the other half of the ribeyes are for Wednesday's dinner. The rest of the prawns will be snackin' fodder, and will be history by this time tomorrow! Whenever I cook-out, I always grill up a bunch of extra stuff, and usually put it in zip-locks in the freezer for future.

Other than that, we watched some of the Indy 500, the Cubs vs. Cards game, and the NASCAR Coca-Cola 600.....it was too hot and muggy to do much outside today, so it was indoor activities mostly.

I'm spending Memorial Day watching Band of Brothers - Spike TV played all 10 episodes, uncut, back-to-back. It began at 8 AM and will end an hour from now at 10:40 PM. This is the fourth time I've seen it but only the second time I've seen the full unedited version. It is a superb story and a first-rate production.

I'm spending Memorial Day watching Band of Brothers - Spike TV played all 10 episodes, uncut, back-to-back. It began at 8 AM and will end an hour from now at 10:40 PM. This is the fourth time I've seen it but only the second time I've seen the full unedited version. It is a superb story and a first-rate production.

REW, I have to agree with you about Band of Brothers. I was simply blown away by the series when it was played on cable several years back. As soon as it was available, I purchased the boxed set of DVDs of this mini-series. The production is so flawless that it almost, but not quite, overshadows the whole story of E-Co., 2nd Batt., 506th PIR, 101st Airborne. You couldn't make up a better story than what these guys accomplished.

Today, DW and I decorated graves at Punchbowl cemetery National Cemetery of the Pacific We heard that organizations were short of leis this year for decoration, so DW made several. This year we found the grave of an Indiana native, Ernie Pyle. Every time we go, we seek out the grave of someone we feel a special connection to. It's always a moving experience, but when you see Memorial Day decorations with all the US flags, it's breath taking. If you ever travel to the Islands, Punchbowl is my second recommendation of sites to see after Pearl Harbor memorial.

If you ever travel to the Islands, Punchbowl is my second recommendation of sites to see after Pearl Harbor memorial.

+2. Perhaps not #2 but certainly in the "Do not, under any circumstances, fail to visit" category -- a very moving experience.

Now that the weekend is over, things are much less crowded. It's vehicle renewal time, so I took the old Miata out for a smog check at a local test place. For some reason the drive home took a couple of hours and a quarter tank of gas. :whistle:

2000.mazda.mx-5%20miata.20215404-E.jpg

Let's see:

Went to work
Swore at non-functional email
Spoke to a contact about a possible new job
Swore at non-functional emal
Lunch
Had a pointed discussion with my boss about my need to move up (damn soon) or out of my current employer
Completed about half my application for possible new job, a lengthy online process replete with essay questions
Dismissed early by boss due to non-functional email

Now on way home. Upstate NY style grilled chicken and fresh spinach for dinner tonight (plus whatever we make for my emphatically vegetarian 5YO)

You don't mean "Spiedies" when referring to upstate NY grilled chicken, do you Brewer?

What I did today was go to work. We are short handed due to some recent retirements and sick leaves coupled with the fact that so many of my co-workers go on long family RV vacations or to the beach beginning this month. I take a 3 week vacation over Christmas and into the middle of January so I can't complain about being overburdened now.

Is this what you mean? Upstate NY barbecue chicken guide

If not, please share your recipe. Thanks for making me google it - this one looks good too!

I was lazy and used a marinade out of a bottle, but that looks about right. Incidentally, your link mentions Brooks Restaurant. If you ever happen to be in the area, make sure to stop there for truly excellent chicken.

Let's see:

Went to work
Spoke to a contact about a possible new job
Swore at non-functional emal
Lunch
Had a pointed discussion with my boss about my need to move up (damn soon) or out of my current employer
Completed about half my application for possible new job, a lengthy online process replete with essay questions
Dismissed early by boss due to non-functional email

Now on way home. Upstate NY style grilled chicken and fresh spinach for dinner tonight (plus whatever we make for my emphatically vegetarian 5YO)

I'm so glad I no longer have days like this!

Two loads of laundry on the line by 11AM; all put away now.

Watered the garden this morning. The snails got the green beans:( But, the tomatoes are going to town. All the squash & cukes are up - but I'm still waiting on the gourds I planted. The first spring rush of herbs are now ready to pick - the lemon balm, oregano, rosemary, and parsley. The lavender buds are just starting to swell....
It was mid seventies today...I'm savoring this weather before the 100's come....

DW moved tomato plants from window sill to outside, I watched the move.

Farmers' Market and lovely fruits and vegetables. Love the smell of strawberries.

Pictures are self-explanatory:

Attachments

• Day on the river 001 copy.jpg
    Day on the river 001 copy.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Day on the river 005 copy.jpg
    Day on the river 005 copy.jpg
    927.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Day on the river 008 copy.jpg
    Day on the river 008 copy.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Day on the river 050 copy.jpg
    Day on the river 050 copy.jpg
    915.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Day on the river 042.jpg
    Day on the river 042.jpg
    858.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
After dinner DW and I were looking out on the back 40 (feet that is), watched momma an poppa robins hearding two young ones through the grass and demonstrating the fine art of extracting worms for dinner. Yummmm. All the while finishing up the remnants of a bottle of vino.

Tell ya this retirement thing is tough.

Hey everyone, remember me? :flowers:

Summer in upstate NY is simply fabulous. Mid 80s temps, low humidity.... aaaaahhhhhh Life is good. :cool:

I cleaned up my powerboat, and as soon as I re-check engine fluids and put required safety gear on board, it will be launched sometime early next week. I've been taking the Mustang out for several fossil fuel burning excursions. I went to Sacketts Harbor NY to make sure Lake Ontario was still there. It was. :LOL:

I haven't done much gardening yet. I'm too busy goofing off doing other things. :whistle: I have homegrown cherry and Roma plum tomato and pepper plants ready to go in. My 3 grapevines all survived the winter and are growing like crazy. Blackberries are blossoming and strawberries are just forming.

My guy friend just retired at the end of May, so I am showing him "the ropes". So nice to have a day companion to go do things with. :D

I'll be here sporadically. :greetings10:

I whacked my elbow so hard on a door frame that it nearly jarred my teeth. After I stopped sucking wind through clenched teeth, potty words flew from my lips. :rant:

The rest of my day has been better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom