Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #4581
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Short, professional, and to the point. Try to avoid too many similes.
Metaphors and analogies are okay, though.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #4582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went and saw my life coach and had her practically rolling on the ground telling her about some of my more bizarre contacts from Match. It takes many types to populate our planet. She told me that being single ain't so bad after all, is it? Jury is still out on that verdict.
I had my house cleaned and gave the housecleaner a bunch of costume jewelry I will never wear again. Her sister has a daughter who is the right age to play dressup Celebrity or Beauty Queen or Princess or whatever.
I'm debating mowing the lawn, but there is always tomorrow...tomorrow...
Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #4583
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Short, professional, and to the point. Try to avoid too many similes.
"I will be 62 on June 20 and plan to retire in two weeks, as of the end of the pay period, July 3. My last day at work will be Friday, July 2."

Something like that... Email and don't answer the phone...
Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #4584
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
"I will be 62 on June 20 and plan to retire in two weeks, as of the end of the pay period, July 3. My last day at work will be Friday, July 2."

Something like that... Email and don't answer the phone...
I think the part about your age/birthday might be superfluous...
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #4585
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
I'll be giving my 2 weeks' notice on Friday - it's a good pre-birthday present (for me, not for her).

That seems to be a popular present . I gave it to myself for my 59th birthday so enjoy !
Old 06-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #4586
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I think the part about your age/birthday might be superfluous...
I was trying to give her a reason without giving her a real reason. She will make the assumption that it's about collecting SS. I am trying to leave without burning bridges if possible.... And I've been very upfront about my age at work, not a secret - except that I look like I'm in my late 40s so people actually are amazed at my real age. My exhaustion is the exhaustion of a 62 year old, even if the face looks good and it's time to say goodbye.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #4587
Recycles dryer sheets

USAA seminar presentation on Long Term Health Care insurance (still undecided), golfed 18, visited IKEA, Golfsmith, Home Goods stores - spent little, attended hurricane preparation presentation, watching President Obama on c-span in the Oval Office, along w/ Lakers/Celtics, Rays-Braves game. Somewhat productive day.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #4588
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Went to a luncheon with old retired work buddies yesterday, then went downtown to a South African wine tasting, then back to the home neighborhood for a nice dinner.

Whew! Today I will compensate by doing very little!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #4589
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Went to a luncheon with old retired work buddies yesterday, then went downtown to a South African wine tasting, then back to the home neighborhood for a nice dinner.

Whew! Today I will compensate by doing very little!
I will compensate by doing very little today too, although I didn't do much of anything noteworthy yesterday.

Today we might take Frank's Murano to get a tuneup, or we might not. Then lunch, and hanging around together and enjoying one another's company until early evening.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #4590
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Hunting and gathering at the Farmers' Market: herbs and gizzards and strawberries and beet greens and tomatoes...
Old 06-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #4591
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still unpacking. Some of this stuff hasn't seen the light of day for more than 5 years: since we sold our house and moved onto a sailboat.

Came across heavy wool slacks, lined to the knee. They were great during my stint working in Geneva; now in Austin - not so much. Some Goodwill customer is going to be warm this winter.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #4592
Moderator Emeritus

Took the vessel for a 3 beer cruise. Waiting to listen in on DW's phone call with a FP on what to do with an existing annuity.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #4593
Give me a forum ...

I have been absent from this forum for 2 weeks. At least one forum member, Westernskies, wondered about my well being.

Well, the truth is that I have been tied up in a civic duty.

It may not be a big deal for others, but it puts me in a gloomy mood and has been somewhat exhausting for me.

No, I cannot talk about it yet, and later may not want to.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #4594
Give me a forum ...

Gosh sorry NW...here's a flower for you.

Welcome back...
Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #4595
Moderator Emeritus

Strolled down to tourist area; finally found a geocache I've been savoring, wasn't looking very hard. Now will need another excuse to tour the area. Enjoyed shop keepers' assumptions I'm on vacation. Oh, maybe I am.

NW-Bound, I feel for you as I was reminded of unpleasant week in civic duty selection while reading today. Lawyer narrator describes how defendant is coached. Tell us about it when you can.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #4596

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have been absent from this forum for 2 weeks. At least one forum member, Westernskies, wondered about my well being.

Well, the truth is that I have been tied up in a civic duty.

It may not be a big deal for others, but it puts me in a gloomy mood and has been somewhat exhausting for me.

No, I cannot talk about it yet, and later may not want to.
If you are on the firing squad for the convicted murderer out in Utah, I hope you get the blank...
Old 06-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #4597
Give me a forum ...

In your example, if I believed the murderer really did it and deserved a firing squad, I might want a real bullet. That would not take away the sadness about what he did, however.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #4598
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Worked today, deposited check in credit union on way home, bought grapes at Kroger and picked up movie at Redbox, made and ate dinner, watched the movie and surfing the net now. Getting ready to take shower shortly and go to bed.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #4599

Gave painting lessons to my 12 year old grandson. He helped me paint my 12 x 20 storage building - and expects to get paid! What is it with kids these days?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #4600
Give me a forum ...

Confirmed yet again every time I eat a raw carrot, I get the hiccups.

Watched a dragonfly lay eggs on the artificial lily pads in my pond.

Was going to do yard work late in the evening, but I drank half a bottle of wine at supper and changed my mind.