what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been absent from this forum for 2 weeks. At least one forum member, Westernskies, wondered about my well being.

Well, the truth is that I have been tied up in a civic duty. :(

It may not be a big deal for others, but it puts me in a gloomy mood and has been somewhat exhausting for me.

No, I cannot talk about it yet, and later may not want to.

Did it involve a certain former governor from the heartland?

I hope you get untied soon.

It may not be a big deal for others, but it puts me in a gloomy mood and has been somewhat exhausting for me.
If it's jury duty, please share your survival tactics. I just got my summons for 6 July.

Wake up, go to work, come home and now am on a global call wth NY, Japan and London. I've handed my resignation but need to serve 2 months notice. Last working day will be 16th July.....so you will find different sort of activities I will be posting next time.

Last night. I successfully learned how to use the pneumatic nailers on molding & fit an out of square outside corner on crown molding. That's about as hard as it gets so now I can make steady progress. Looks nice! Except today I need to mow before really serious heat with high humidity gets here this weekend. Ugg! Figures the regular nasty wet heat summer would come back my 1st summer of retirement instead of those last 2 summers with nice Canadian air.
More incentive to get this house fixed up so I eventually move.

Re the mystery flower - yep, got lots of birds so they could be the culprits.

I have been absent from this forum for 2 weeks. At least one forum member, Westernskies, wondered about my well being.

Did someone say "tied up"? :whistle:

If you are on the firing squad for the convicted murderer out in Utah, I hope you get the blank...

At my age, shooting blanks sounds like a good idea!

Gave painting lessons to my 12 year old grandson. He helped me paint my 12 x 20 storage building - and expects to get paid! What is it with kids these days? :cool:

He's on to the old Tom Sawyer - Huck Finn routine...

This doesn't necessarily mean that NW-Bound served on a jury, although that is one of our most common civic duties. There are others. Personally I would think it was my civic duty, at least peripherally, to testify against a dangerous criminal who was terrorizing my community, for example. Similarly I think it would be my civic duty to cooperate with law enforcement in their investigations of a serious crime or in a "sting". If I was a man in the reserves I suppose it would be my civic duty and requirement (not to mention the law, I guess?) that I show up for whatever it is that the reserves do. If I had knowledge that would be of material assistance in improving the way in which my community was run (such as if I was the only one who could explain how the filing system worked at city hall, or some such thing) I might consider it to be my civic duty to volunteer my time to help.

Anyway, my point is that I think we are jumping the gun by assuming that NW-Bound had jury duty. Probably, but really he did not specify that particular civic duty.
Last night. I successfully learned how to use the pneumatic nailers on molding & fit an out of square outside corner on crown molding. That's about as hard as it gets so now I can make steady progress. Looks nice! Except today I need to mow before really serious heat with high humidity gets here this weekend. Ugg! Figures the regular nasty wet heat summer would come back my 1st summer of retirement instead of those last 2 summers with nice Canadian air.
More incentive to get this house fixed up so I eventually move.

Re the mystery flower - yep, got lots of birds so they could be the culprits.
It is already hot and humid down here so you have my sympathy - - it is very hard to mow when the weather gets like that. About six years ago I finally gave up on mowing completely, and just pay someone to do it these days. Are you going to move to another state? We had planned to move to southern Missouri, but our plans seem to be stalled due to the housing market and the recovery of our area from Hurricane Katrina, which is gradually removing some of our motivation to move. So, we are "on the fence" and not working nearly as hard as you are on the necessary fix-ups that need to be done before selling.

Agreed, W2R, I brought up an experience on jury duty because I was remined of it by something I did today (technically yesterday). When I was summoned to testify against a gang of young thugs, it felt like a very heavy civic duty.

Last edited:
Agreed, W2R, I brougt up an experience on jury duty because I was remined of it by something I did today (technically yesterday). When I was summoned to testify against a gang of young thugs, it felt like a very heavy civic duty.

Wow! That really would be a very heavy civic duty, indeed. Pretty scary.

I didn't mean to refer to you, or any one person, in my post. I just felt like many of us might be assuming jury duty, and NW-Bound didn't actually specify any particular kind of civic duty. That was the first thing I thought of, anyway, until reflecting further.

Probably a wise decision. At least you judegement was not impaired.:LOL:
I'll drink to that!
smiley-eatdrink058.gif

Laundry is on the line. Cooked breakfast. Considering lunch. Watched neighbor work on the lawn/garden.

It is already hot and humid down here so you have my sympathy - - it is very hard to mow when the weather gets like that. About six years ago I finally gave up on mowing completely, and just pay someone to do it these days. Are you going to move to another state? We had planned to move to southern Missouri, but our plans seem to be stalled due to the housing market and the recovery of our area from Hurricane Katrina, which is gradually removing some of our motivation to move. So, we are "on the fence" and not working nearly as hard as you are on the necessary fix-ups that need to be done before selling.
I am planning on moving eventually. To someplace where the summer isn't so miserable. And without such a big yard. But the house stuff needs to be done anyway and will make it more pleasant for me even if I can't sell for a few years. I had planned on my 1st 1-2 years to get all the house sprucing/remodeling done.

Mowing done. Now to go run some errands.

Cleaned house and did some laundry today. Had to fix supper early. I made pork chops, fried potatoes (with sweet Vidalia onions) and peas.

No biscuits...it's too hot. :p

Attachments

• DSC01578.JPG
    DSC01578.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 7
Made some steller Garage Rock Music Live with some other Rock and Rollers. We had a blast. I recorded everything on a tiny Zoom Stereo device with built in Condenser Mics. Today I'll process the tunes and make CD's for the rest of the band to document the event. We get together about once every week or two out at the Drummer's House. Fortunately he lives in the sticks at a place called Merced Falls (dare you to find it on a map) which allows us to make unlimited high volume noise with no neighbors close enough to notice, let alone complain. Playing at concert volume is truly uplifting. A couple beers etc doesn't hurt the experience.
img_948469_0_450fc49c6c0e7a29b472c3168317b684.jpg

I think it's OK to say that my civic duty is just the common jury duty while revealing nothing about the case, which is still on going.

I think it's OK to say that my civic duty is just the common jury duty while revealing nothing about the case, which is still on going.

And here I was fantasizing that you were helping in a complex sting operation involving an international diamond smuggling cartel and the witness protection program, not to mention decoding cryptic files in city hall!

Oh well. Life is never as exciting as fiction. :D

W2R, sorry if I misled you, even if unintentionally. :)

I am feeling better the last few days though. Well, hopefully justice will be served.

Jury duty can be pretty exciting my husband was called for jury duty on a person very high up in the mafia . He was scared but luckily he was excused . That is one jury I would not want to be on .

I once hung a jury due to my stubborn insistance to only considering the facts & not some fanciful political interpretation led by one of the jurors. Turned out I was right as the whole thing was an attempted scam to sue the police. Afterwards when we gota bit more of the surrounding information, about half of the other jurors thanked me for holding out when they didn't have the guts to stick with their own analysis.

Ran 3 miles, swam several laps, hit a bucket of tennis balls, watched USA vs Slovenia, watched England vs Algeria, watched US Open, grilled a steak, took a nap.Watched more US Open. Tampa Rays baseball tonight. TV is working O.T. today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom