what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came home late last night, and my entry into the driveway was blocked by a parked BMW. I turned on my blinker and sat in the street. Nothing happened and I was starting to get annoyed. Then I looked in the car and a couple was going at it, the 30 ish woman sitting astride the man. So I gave a polite horn toot- she didn't even slack off. This girl was focused on the finish and some guy wanting into his driveway was not going to distract her.

I backed up a little and waited, and they eventually drove off.

It's the little things that make life interesting.

Ha

I came home late last night, and my entry into the driveway was blocked by a parked BMW. I turned on my blinker and sat in the street. Nothing happened and I was starting to get annoyed. Then I looked in the car and a couple was going at it, the 30 ish woman sitting astride the man. So I gave a polite horn toot- she didn't even slack off. This girl was focused on the finish and some guy wanting into his driveway was not going to distract her.

Ha
What? No photos? :(

Ha
Hmmmm...well...it was Father's Day and maybe she forgot to purchase a gift...:whistle:

I'm getting ready to go out of town for a few days for one hot biker rally in AR.

So, I've manicured, pedicured, waxed and have picked out my clothing for the event. The leather is supple and the chains are shiny.

Eh heh....a good time will be had by all....>:D

:greetings10:

Attachments

• boots.jpg
    boots.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 136
Tried to find a "Notary Public" who actually is performing their commissioned tasks for the public.

Needed to have my signature notorized for a document of DW. Knowing that auto dealers have notaries, stopped at the one in town. When asking the the manager if I could use their notary, he informed me that the notary only does internal work. Good luck for that dealership to ever sell me or DW a car in the future.

Next stop a real estate office. The owner was covering the floor, who I know to be a notary, denied that he was a notary. (he is listed as notary in a few town blurbs) Next. But helpfully suggested that the bank next door, and a title company across the street both have notaries.

On to the bank. Was informed that their notary is only for bank business.

Getting a tad annoyed head over to the title co. Their notary was not in. (11 am) Ok. On to another bank where we have accounts. Once again was told the only do notary work for bank business. But helpfully pointed the way to Borough hall where they were sure there was a notary publick who actually performs service for the publick.

Imagine how unreasonable it is for me to expect that the description, Notary Public is actually supposed to perform a public service, surely that can't be.

Anyway, walk into borough hall, first office is the chamber of commerce, ask my now boring question. The lady politely points me to the office of the State representative three doors down who she thinks is a notary.

Find my way down the hall, find the State rep's office door open, walk in and ask my now very repetitive question. The lady behind the big desk, who is of course not the State rep. answer in the affirmative.

Miracles never end. She very competently reviewed my docs, asked for my ID and after looking at my driver's license, performed the magic rites, added stamps and embossments, even found a lady to act and sign as witness for some lines which required a witness.

After this long exercise, I went kayaking. A much better way to spend time.

Yardwork. Gotta make quota for next week's green waste pickup. The bougainvillea are starting to spread down the hill below our lava rock wall to cover the grass, and in a couple years I'll be able to shut off those sprinklers too.

Picked a couple mango and a harbinger of the flood of papaya that will be ripe in about six weeks. Our lychee tree will also be ready in about six weeks.

Going to a friend's house tonight with another dozen people for Chinese food and talk story. Spouse and I have only cooked our own dinner twice during the last 10 days of our empty nesting.

Oh, yeah, our kid checked in today. She's having a wonderful vacation and expects to be home in another three weeks...

...for one hot biker rally in AR.
You are referring to the bike, no?
I think she's referring to the air temperature. Or what's going to happen to the leather & chains if she doesn't stay out of the sun.

But it's a dry [-]heat[/-] wax!

Spent a few days at Fort Walton Beach, FL this past weekend. The ocean still was as beautiful as ever, and people were out on the beach, but yes...sadly, did see some tar balls:-(( Still, had a GREAT weekend and felt good about supporting the local economy with our tourist dollars.

Attachments

• Fort Walton Beach trip with friends 004.jpg
    Fort Walton Beach trip with friends 004.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Fort Walton Beach trip with friends 007.jpg
    Fort Walton Beach trip with friends 007.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 3
Spent a few days at Fort Walton Beach, FL this past weekend. The ocean still was as beautiful as ever, and people were out on the beach, but yes...sadly, did see some tar balls:-(( Still, had a GREAT weekend and felt good about supporting the local economy with our tourist dollars.

Yup, that looks like the Fort Walton/ Destin area. Pretty beaches. They say you get some tar balls just from normal oil seepage. I've never really noticed as I had other things to look at.:cool:

Took the mutt on a hiking and swimming trip this morning. Boy it was hot. The mutt handled it well by cooling off in the water. I looked like I had been swimming, drenched from head to toe. Then this afternoon I mowed my grass. More sweating. :(

I'm getting ready to go out of town for a few days for one hot biker rally in AR.

So, I've manicured, pedicured, waxed and have picked out my clothing for the event. The leather is supple and the chains are shiny.

Eh heh....a good time will be had by all....>:D

:greetings10:

Is it true biker chicks get passed around like a rag dolls? :D

Tried to find a "Notary Public" who actually is performing their commissioned tasks for the public.

Needed to have my signature notorized for a document of DW. Knowing that auto dealers have notaries, stopped at the one in town. When asking the the manager if I could use their notary, he informed me that the notary only does internal work. Good luck for that dealership to ever sell me or DW a car in the future.

Next stop a real estate office. The owner was covering the floor, who I know to be a notary, denied that he was a notary. (he is listed as notary in a few town blurbs) Next. But helpfully suggested that the bank next door, and a title company across the street both have notaries.

On to the bank. Was informed that their notary is only for bank business.

Getting a tad annoyed head over to the title co. Their notary was not in. (11 am) Ok. On to another bank where we have accounts. Once again was told the only do notary work for bank business. But helpfully pointed the way to Borough hall where they were sure there was a notary publick who actually performs service for the publick.

Imagine how unreasonable it is for me to expect that the description, Notary Public is actually supposed to perform a public service, surely that can't be.

Anyway, walk into borough hall, first office is the chamber of commerce, ask my now boring question. The lady politely points me to the office of the State representative three doors down who she thinks is a notary.

Find my way down the hall, find the State rep's office door open, walk in and ask my now very repetitive question. The lady behind the big desk, who is of course not the State rep. answer in the affirmative.

Miracles never end. She very competently reviewed my docs, asked for my ID and after looking at my driver's license, performed the magic rites, added stamps and embossments, even found a lady to act and sign as witness for some lines which required a witness.

After this long exercise, I went kayaking. A much better way to spend time.

I always go to my bank when I need something notarized, and they are very accommodating. I have only a fairly modest checking account, but I know the ladies as it is right across the street from my office and I socialize a bit when I go in to make a deposit or cash a check. I think the executive secretary of my agency is a notary but I would be hesitant to go to her as she not terribly friendly and in any case I would not want her to know my business. But I know what you mean.....hard to find someone for stuff like this.

Enjoyed the photos. A friend recently retired from my agency and moved back home to Dothan, AL. She talked all the time about Ft. Walton Beach and also Panama City Beach. I might be driving down for a visit next year....after she gets settled and buys a house. I talked to her last week and she is trying to acclimate herself again to the heat after 25 years up North.

I figured out how to cope today! Crown molding no less. The Internet is great. Made some jigs and succeeded. Now I can get my project done.

I also planted little sweet potatoes and leeks this morning then watered them before the blistering heat got going. Figures my first summer in retirement is a scorcher.

After our home shredder shredded itself and we discovered that home shredders are only rated for about 5 minutes use each hour, we took 70lbs of old documents to OfficeMax to be shredded. A dollar a pound was kind of steep, but we could stand there and watch them do it.

Went to farmers' market (and three other stops); successful hunting and gathering. Turned on A/C for first time this year.

Went and harevested a community garden and took the veggie's to the food pantry. We took about 60 pounds of cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, and peas today. We had to get an early start since it was 83 degrees at 7 AM! It's now over 100.

After that we came home to babysit our seven month old granddaughter. I have been rolling around in the floor and playing with her for the last couple of hours. She's now going down for a nap, and grnadma thinks she needs one too!

Took DW for her 2nd cataract surgery. All went well. The same doc did my eyes as well. It was done at the local surgery center 3 blocks from the town square. While she was getting set up and operated on, I walked over to the town square, where in the gazebo a Jazz band was entertaining the noon time crowds. Plus on Sunday evenings there is usually some band playing.

Along the way stopped at one of the coffee shops for a nice cup, walked over to a park bench and enjoyed the brew along with the music. Yeah, small town life is tough.

Mowed grass, time to go get pizza for dinner.

Yesterday we spent all afternoon at the art museum. It is free on Wednesdays. :D We took our time and looked at all exhibits, all galleries. Today, the world is my gallery - - art does that to me. I find myself mentally framing scenes with good composition, paying more attention to the way the sunlight falls onto things, and textures and colors. The world is a prettier place.

After getting home yesterday I did some yardwork (translation: hacking back tropical undergrowth before it takes over over my back yard). This morning I got up at 6:00 and finished while the heat was still bearable. Then went back to sleep for several hours. :LOL:

Poodle sitting!

Our friends and ex-landlords are on holiday, so we are staying at their house and looking after their pooches. They are great dogs and we are enjoying a break from pretending to unpack and organize our new apartment.

I have to admit that walking a pair of miniature poodles is hard on my he-man self image, so I wear cowboy boots and a Stetson to make up for it. Native Texan and all that.
:LOL:

The criminal case of which I have been one of the jurors concluded today. It was my first trial case ever. It was a case where a defendant faced multiple serious charges ranging from endangerment, arson, aggravated assault, to conspiracy to commit murder and attempted first degree murder, etc... Alleged victims took the witness stand, as well as many witnesses called by the prosecution.

It was obvious to all jurors that the defendant was definitely guilty, but not of all the charges thrown on him. I took the responsibility seriously, hence lost a lot of sleep over this. It was stressful to argue back and forth with other antagonistic jurors over several individual charges. At times, I felt they were too soft on crime. On one charge, I was about to become a rogue juror, to cause a hung jury over just that charge. I knew that the prosecution would not bother to retry just that charge, hence it was simply to ease my conscience that I did the right thing.

Near the end, I decided to go along with the other jurors and not raised a ruckus, when I realized that the prosecution and defense do plea bargaining all the time. This means that from a practical standpoint, one should accept that absolute justice cannot be defined. One must be satisfied that a guilty defendant does not walk free, and that he might escape a few valid charges against him. The justice system is choked with cases, and I could not see myself causing troubles to add to that bottleneck.

What was so sad about this case was that the defendant, being a solidly middle-class citizen with a good job and good income, got himself in trouble by committing a pervert sexual act, and then compounding it with more crimes to cover it up, and ended up with attempted murder charges. How could someone be so stupid? It was all very sad.

Now that the case is over, I can describe it with complete details, but do not feel like writing more than the above. The sad evolution of this individual digging himself deeper and deeper might not be all that unusual to people dealing with crimes all the time. Still, it was all very sad for me and other jurors to see.

And by the way, the judge, prosecution, and counsel came over to the jury room afterwards to talk to us. The judge informed us that the defendant never made a serious attempt to plea bargain. Of course the prosecution bluffed him with all these charges initially, and then had to carry out the threat. It was a good thing for him that the jury did not find him guilty of all the charges, else he might spend the next few decades behind bar serving just the minimum time on each charge. He was pushing his luck all the time. How lucky do you feel, punk?

There is one thing unique about the AZ court system. The jurors are allowed to take notes. We then used our own notes during deliberation. I really do not know how one could remember all the details for a lengthy trial like this. We can also submit written questions while the witnesses are giving testimonies on the stand.

Now that I have my normal life back, I will continue to work on my RV to prepare for a longer trip. I may even do some w*rk to make a bit of money.

After our home shredder shredded itself and we discovered that home shredders are only rated for about 5 minutes use each hour, we took 70lbs of old documents to OfficeMax to be shredded. A dollar a pound was kind of steep, but we could stand there and watch them do it.
Holy crap! I pay about $5 for 25#.

Ha

Now that I have my normal life back, I will continue to work on my RV to prepare for a longer trip. I may even do some w*rk to make a bit of money.

Come on now, I need you to spend your time posting songs. :)

Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom