Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #4681
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When I run out, what do I do?
Post photos of you and your RV?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #4682
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Just got back from my Eureka Springs, AR trip…here are the highlights….

Nice to see hills again…lovely ride.
Did a lot of sweatin’.
Made the destination and met up with over a hundred bikers at the hotel…
Dined on crawfish etouffee, sausage, dirty rice, salad and watermelon…
I ate my first crawfish (in the shell). Two people had to instruct me on how to eat said crawfish. Evidentially I’m not good at suckin’, so I gave up after wrasslin’ with just two crawfish…
One of members of the biker’s association is a Catholic priest from Baton Rouge and he blessed our supper.
Met a couple of members that came all the way from Vancouver and Boston.
Enjoyed some JD and a few beers.
A State Trooper came to our room one night.
Rode a train that boasted a 1 hour ride…yep, it was an hour, but we went only 2 miles.
Contemplated getting a tattoo of a body piercing.
Sat around in a huge circle, passed around tequila, JD, smoked salmon, peanuts and cigars. I didn’t take a cigar.
Listened to some great music.
Enjoyed more JD and a few beers.
The same State Trooper came to our room again, but it was ok as he had a key.
Bought a HD biker tee shirt that is subtle on the front and evil on the back.
Hooked up with friends that live in the area and went to a fabulous restaurant. I don’t know what was more delicious, the wine and pork tenderloin or the way the waiter Franco said my name.
Said goodbye to my pals while lightning lit up the sky and lightning bugs lit up the trees.

I'm just downright tuckered out.....

So, got a new avatar of shiny red lips suckin' on a mudbug?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #4683
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
So, got a new avatar of shiny red lips suckin' on a mudbug?
A few flashes went off while I was tryin' to eat them...I saw a couple of the pics...I can guarantee they will NOT be shown on this forum.

Bleh.....I'm not gonna do that again....
Old 06-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #4684
Moderator Emeritus

Had a good long e-mail talk with a shipmate (and his spouse) who's trying to visualize life after military retirement. They're another dual-military couple like us. He's coming up on the pre-retirement counseling of Ruehlin & TAP. The dialogue continues, but I think he's gettin' it.

Spouse and I spent a long time discussing the contrasts between their life and ours. They live in an upperclass suburb of a major metropolitan area, we live in a bedroom community. They have two stories of brick, six or seven bedrooms, five bathrooms, a basement, a pool, a quarter-acre lot, and a lot of expensive renovations & improvements. We... don't. (Well, OK, our master bedroom/bathroom is our second floor.) They have a mortgage payment two-thirds bigger than ours, and for all we can tell they may be upside-down-- especially considering the renovations. They have to heat & A/C the place nearly year-round while we have sweatshirts, ceiling fans, and solar water/electricity. They have painfully high property taxes & locality taxes in addition to sales, state, & federal taxes. We have about 3.5 mils of property tax and no locality tax.

They live in an environment where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting at least two retired flag officers, a half-dozen retired/important politicians, and high-earning professionals who all feel a compelling need to assess their relevance in terms of the number of hours of work they do each week and the amount of money they get paid for it. We live in an environment with Aloha Fridays, and where layoffs mean more time to surf because there'll always be another job.

Yet for some reason Hawaii is considered a high-cost area.

At least he surfs, so I suspect it's just a matter of time until he sorts it all out.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #4685
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Put on clothes and made a trip to BestBuy. Spent money. Came home and took off clothes. Might make it through day without A/C
Old 06-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #4686
Give me a forum ...

Today I noticed that the car next to me was drifting over into my lane. I honked, and when I looked over, I saw a woman who was texting. At the next traffic light, she missed the change to green.

I wonder whether a call to the cops would be a good idea in this situation. It's illegal but the fine is only $20.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #4687

Al, I've reported more than one driver for "driving erratically" and my suspicion they were under the influence of alcohol or drugs. They could have been texting for all I know, but no matter the reason I hoped the cops would pull them over to check them out.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #4688
Give me a forum ...

How on earth do they fit all that on a quarter of an acre? The houses must be 3 inches apart!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
They have two stories of brick, six or seven bedrooms, five bathrooms, a basement, a pool, a quarter-acre lot, .
Old 06-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #4689
Moderator Emeritus

Installed traverse rods and curtains in the master bedroom. Light blockers so I can sleep in later...

Got halfway through taking down a 25' river alder that the borers killed. I'll get the rest tomorrow.

Weekend duty moderator on another message board, so I had to skim all the posts. Thank goodness everybody over there is behaving!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #4690
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
How on earth do they fit all that on a quarter of an acre? The houses must be 3 inches apart!
Sorry, I'm not real proficient at acres. Oahu lots are generally measured in square feet.

What I meant to say is that they have a quarter-acre of yard, so the house probably sits on about a half-acre lot. But if any of the surrounding neighbors fire up their lawnmowers or leaf blowers then poolside conversation has to move indoors to be heard.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #4691
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If anyone is wondering an acre is about 208 feet square.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #4692

43,560 sf
Old 06-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #4693
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took care of my dog's injured paw all day, soaking in antiseptic solution, administering medications, worrrying about it, giving him treats, trying to make his life less onerous. The vet says if the redness, swelling and pain don't improve in a day or so, I have to bring him back for a x-ray to rule out a fractured toe. I have no idea how this happened. He was at the kennel for five days while I was out of town and the kennel said it was a ruptured absess. Hope that's all it is.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #4694
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
If anyone is wondering an acre is about 208 feet square.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
43,560 sf
Both of those numbers are pretty rare on this island.

Rectangular lots are maybe 50-60 feet across the front and another 60-80 feet on the sides. Some of the two-story homes in the newer neighborhoods of Ewa are on just 4000 sq ft lots. Our rental property is a single-story structure on a zero-lot line of a 5400 sq ft lot, which is among the biggest in its neighborhood.

Our home, built at the awkward end of a cul-de-sac, is on a 15,688 sq ft lot. Only about half of it is flat and the rest is at least a 7% grade.

I don't think you see "acres" in a MLS listing until you're up near Waimanalo or on the Big Island.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #4695
Give me a forum ...

So, 1/4 acre is about 43560/4 = 10890 square feet, or about a 100'x109' lot.

The 4000 square foot lots that Nords is talking about are about 1/11th acre in size, though his own lot is much larger (nearly 1/3 acre).

Sorry! This is my idea of fun on a Saturday night... Frank is off participating in today's ham radio Field Day event (and I am not that interested in ham radio). I think I'll read for a while now that I've had my arithmetic exercise for the evening.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #4696
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Post photos of you and your RV?
I think I might just post photos of my beautiful bride first.

Should I ask her for permission? Nah, I know what the answer would be.

Shall I do it anyway? What if she finds out?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #4697
Give me a forum ...

Last night I flew halfway across the country in business class. Don't worry, I have not lost my frugal ways - I had an upgrade certificate. Because it was Saturday night there were very few passengers in business class and we had the full attention of a flight attendant. Dinner was excellent, the wine was palatable (and dispensed freely) and I enjoyed watching "Alice in Wonderland". "Off with her head!"

Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #4698
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A/C: hot & humid
Old 06-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #4699
Give me a forum ...

Rode the bike about 7.25 mi. Grocery run; bought some "grass-fed" ground beef ($5/lb) to try. Watered the "garden", an exercise in futility.

Currently enjoying the 75 degree environs of mi casa. Outside temp 96F, misery heat index 101...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #4700
Give me a forum ...

Sitting in front of our woodstove-type fireplace. Had a fire this morning, and the fan is still pumping out the heat. 52 degrees outside this morning.