Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

$15 worth of bad luck
Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #4741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$15 worth of bad luck

I got a whipped cream maker on eBay for only $15, including shipping. No one else bid.

So it arrived today, and I take it out of the package. The packing material and the box reek of smoke. It was so bad, I put it into the fireplace (although I never burn trash).

Then I notice that a plastic part is missing -- it was still in the box! I fish it out of the ashes, but it is partially melted. I spend an hour trying to rehabilitate it, but it was too late.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #4742

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I got a whipped cream maker on eBay for only $15, including shipping. No one else bid.

So it arrived today, and I take it out of the package. The packing material and the box reek of smoke. It was so bad, I put it into the fireplace (although I never burn trash).

Then I notice that a plastic part is missing -- it was still in the box! I fish it out of the ashes, but it is partially melted. I spend an hour trying to rehabilitate it, but it was too late.
Sorry to hear your whipped cream plans went up in smoke.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 07-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #4743
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Just what were you going to do with all the whipped cream ?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #4744
Give me a forum ...

Sorry T Al...normally I have extra parts for whipped cream makers, but I'm all out...
Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #4745
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Sorry T Al...normally I have extra parts for whipped cream makers, but I'm all out...
Don't you have a couple of back up units you could loan him? Or maybe it was something else I was thinking of.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #4746
Give me a forum ...

If you look at the kind of food that Al gets away with eating, I think you'll agree that he probably also eats gallons and gallons of whipped cream too and that this is why he and Lena are always going on those long, grueling bikerides....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #4747
Gone but not forgotten

I'm sure there is a lot of exercise involved with the whipped cream but I doubt that it's bike riding !
Old 07-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #4748
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Don't you have a couple of back up units you could loan him? Or maybe it was something else I was thinking of.
Not sure what you're talking about...I would give someone a part, but never loan a unit.

Bought two Marie Calendar's pies on sale today...loaded with whipped cream. Too bad I can't have any...

(well maybe just a bite or two...)
Old 07-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #4749
Give me a forum ...

Checking in...

Hi everyone
I'm still enjoying the nice summer weather and getting out and about socially. Talk about juggling my calendar. This almost reminds me of scheduling w*rk meetings.
I never knew how much fun dating could be. Last headcount of gentlemen from Match.com asking me out on dates was 5. One of the more recent ones owns racehorses, so I see a trip to Saratoga NY in my future.
Last count of wanting me for an exclusive LTR was 2. I am VERY upfront about just dating, so no broken hearts.
I will be going to Orlando in mid August for a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert at UCF. I will finally see them live. FREEBIRD!
Charlie Daniels Band will also be there and somebody named Michael W. Smith. This should be FUN.

Thanks for all the PMs I have received, asking me if I am OK and the good wishes.

Off I go again....
Old 07-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #4750
Gone but not forgotten

Today started the redo of the molding project so we went to Home Depot and Lowes to get the molding and a few other things . I love when the projects are over because they look so good but I hate the disruption while they go on . After this we are having two rooms painted with new carpeting and also carpeting the stairs and upstairs landing and painting the banisters . This is my goal for the year .
Old 07-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #4751
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

After seeing an announcement a couple of days ago that NASA had rescheduled the launch dates of the last two shuttle missions, I decided to attempt crossing off one more item on my bucket list. Earlier today I called to make reservations at an RV park within viewing distance of the launch pad. I was very surprised to find a spot and was told it was the last one they had available at the park for the November launch. They are totally booked for the final launch in February.

Hope that's a sign it was meant to be.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #4752
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
After seeing an announcement a couple of days ago that NASA had rescheduled the launch dates of the last two shuttle missions, I decided to attempt crossing off one more item on my bucket list. Earlier today I called to make reservations at an RV park within viewing distance of the launch pad. I was very surprised to find a spot and was told it was the last one they had available at the park for the November launch. They are totally booked for the final launch in February.

Whoo-hoo! Road trip! Hope that's a sign it was meant to be.
Hope the launch takes place as planned and you have a great time. We are expecting photos.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #4753
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent the last week at the house in WV we're building. Second half of the week turned cool and well below 50 degrees in the morning. Up about 5:15 each morning and had time to have coffee by the campfire before the rest of the construction crew arrived. Very pleasant but the heat is back now.

Picture shows a roofer who was there to finish the ridge vent on Tuesday while the temps were in the 90's, can't imagine sitting on the shingles in that heat!

Here's a link to a blog with more photos if interested.

Romney West Virginia Log House Build

Old 07-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #4754
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Hope the launch takes place as planned and you have a great time. We are expecting photos.
What a sight that must be...I'd love to feel the rumble....

Slept late and later this afternoon took a nap. Got pork steaks marinating in Wicker's sauce, the potato salad is made and the beer is on ice. Y'all come on over...everything will be ready around 7:30.

It's nice in bbbamI land....
Old 07-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #4755
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Last headcount of gentlemen from Match.com asking me out on dates was 5.
That's great. My 63-year-old sister found someone from match.com (or somanyfish.com?), and they are totally in love.

----------------

Got a new oil filter for 50 cents at a rummage sale because I was able to look up my notes in my iPod to see that it was the right size.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #4756
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, whenever I see a quote like yours above omitting the name of the author, I'm always a little curious. Wanna give us a hint which of the 4,000+ posts on this thread was the source?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #4757
Give me a forum ...

Played golf this afternoon and it was a beautiful day. I normally don't play on Saturdays as I let the working riff raff have the course on weekends. But the temps and humidity was so low for this time of year, I had to play. Suppose to get one more good day, then back to muggy hot summer days.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #4758
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Al, whenever I see a quote like yours above omitting the name of the author, I'm always a little curious. Wanna give us a hint which of the 4,000+ posts on this thread was the source?

Al was referring to Freebird's post and I think he was also secretly recommending whipped cream to spice up new relationships but I could be wrong .
Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #4759
Full time employment: Posting here.

Way good day today (yesterday now) hoed and rototilled garden before it got hot, went to farmers market, stopped at yard sales on way home and met another old guy who restores old tube radios. Had lunch and watched the first half of the Spain Paraguay game then went to the drag strip for six hours of nitro (including top fuel) at night. Bought tickets for the Kinsman 50/50 draw there and won draw. Still pumped from the noise commotion and subsequent fireworks. This afternoon fish and chicken BBQ
Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #4760
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DW wants to go to one of those launches too!
Closed Thread