what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Bout wore myself out today trying to rid my flower garden of Sweet Woodruff...nothing sweet about that stuff.:mad: It was such a cute little plant last year...not this year.

Wish I had that problem. Mine is getting a lot of brown kill from all this heat. I've been trying to get it to spread.

Faking enjoyment is something women are highly skilled at.

Faking enjoyment is something that women think they are highly skilled at. Many men are not as dumb as you women too often assume that we are. Of course, this just confers one more advantage on us.

Ha

Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums
Woke up, got outta bed, showered, and dragged a comb across my head. Made a cup of coffee,

Did you look up and notice you were late?

Somebody spoke and he went into a dream.

I have no idea what Major Tom and jebmke mean, I'm still wondering how in the world Birdie Num Nums can do all that before making coffee. ;)

Last edited:
While playing with FIRECalc, I usually set the number of years for retirement at 35. Today, I tried 45 then 50 years. I got 100% on 50 years...that means it's ok if I live to be 102. :dance:

:rolleyes:..........:LOL:

I don't do firecalc as our rental property doesn't translate well - using Quicken 2006 retirement planner from their planning tab. My gal's Mom is still ticking at 95YO, so I want our assets to last till 2045, or the gal being 95. Unfortunately, Quicken continues to claim our plan fails several years short of that. Been figuring 3% inflation and 4% rate of return after retirement - what inflation and return rates do others use? Getting really tired of Quicken saying we won't make it when I feel we can.

New windows are in. Put up curtain rods. DW arranged the curtains in proper form.

I don't do firecalc as our rental property doesn't translate well - using Quicken 2006 retirement planner from their planning tab. My gal's Mom is still ticking at 95YO, so I want our assets to last till 2045, or the gal being 95. Unfortunately, Quicken continues to claim our plan fails several years short of that. Been figuring 3% inflation and 4% rate of return after retirement - what inflation and return rates do others use? Getting really tired of Quicken saying we won't make it when I feel we can.
I use 3% for inflation, then normally 4% rate of return as well.

With FIRECalc I use 3% inflation and Total Market in the Portfolio tab. It's unlikely I'll live to be 80, so I'm not too worried if the calculators are off.

Clicked on "New Posts" for the first time in nearly three weeks.

Been a bit busy with "life happens, and usually all at once" stuff. No crises, all turned out OK, but busy.

I'll get caught up on everything and then put up some more.

My mom is 94 but she spends so little money that basically her SS would cover it . She does have a small pension from my DAD and some assets in CD's . Since she hit 90 her spending has really declined . She had to stop driving so that expense is gone and she eats like a bird . She still shops when we take her or she does QVC . Plus there is the weekly hair appointment . She does pay my Sister some rent but it is really not that much .

Watered plants, pulled weeds, harvested cucumbers, beets, and a zucchini.

My daughter came over today to sort thru junk for an upcoming garage sale. We were sidetracked when we came across some of her baby and early childhood treasures. It was so much fun going thru that stuff and talking about it. We even found an old letter that I wrote to my mother a couple of weeks before my daughter was born. We had a nice time.

After she left I headed over to the University Dairy Store for a nice big scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt and a walk around their flower gardens.

Very nice Sunday.

This morning I awakened at 9:30 AM and for some reason before coffee or dressing I spent an hour or two painting more of the woodwork in my house. I am painting it the prettiest neutral beige with just a hint of spring green - - but gradually, as the spirit moves me.

Then after cleaning up and washing the brushes, I showered, dressed, and had my morning coffee. Should be interesting to see how the painting turned out once I am completely awake. :cool:

In my continuing quest to downsize, I listed 3 items on the internet this morning and within an hour had 2 offers for one of them. Sure beats the old days of using the classifieds!

Every time I go through my stuff I find more things I have little attachment to and can get rid of. If I keep going at this rate, in about 5 years I'll be able to rent a very small storage space for what's left of my stuff and go tour the US in a van.

Not that I'm going to, but it's nice to have such thoughts and options.........

Did laundry then walked barefoot in the wet grass to hang laundry on line. Made salads for next couple days. Sat and enjoyed the silence. Watched critters come and go on patio. Put out trash and recyclables (mine and neighbor).

Another morning on the lake, with no one else to intrude on the silence.

Realized that I've gotten sloppy and choppy with the paddles. Practiced nearly silent paddling for about an hour on the mirror smooth lake, then the wind picked up a bit.

On the way home stopped for a coffee an' BLT, left extra tip for waitress who had her 50th birthday. It is fun to call a 50 year old "kid".

Reminds me of one of Pam Stone's old standup routines: "Is it latex?"

Nothing gets sneaked past you, does it? :LOL: I was more specific in my original version of that post, but "cleaned it up" by edit since I didn't want to shock anybody. Yes, I was painting au naturale... it's easier that way. :whistle:

A couple of times each year DW flys off the VA to visit her elderly Mom and gossip with other family members about the good old days. I have sat thru a number of these get-togethers and they have become tedious so DW does not require my attendance any more:whistle:.

She's at it again and when she's gone I make it a point to eat lunch at the nearby Army base after working out in their fitness center. Today I had pepper steak, rice, beans, mixed vegs, ice tea, salad bar, apple pie, and fruit. Not bad for about $4 considering I got to break bread with a 3 medics (2 Army, 1 Navy) who are heading for Afghanistan in a few weeks for the 3rd time. The soldiers/marines in the units that they are assigned to will be in good hands.

I live at 7300' . High 90's are a crime against nature here. But we fixed the swamp cooler this morning! We almost never use it b/c it NEVER gets hot at my house. I can barely grow tomatoes most years b/c it is in the 40's-50's most summer nights. I expect a nice harvest this year!
Heidi

What is a swamp cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom