Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #5061
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We aren't ready to buy yet.....
You're loaded, retired, and not getting any younger. Waiting for "yet" to show up may not be the best alternative.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #5062
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You're loaded, retired, and not getting any younger. Waiting for "yet" to show up may not be the best alternative.
Anybody wanna buy a couple of houses in New Orleans?

I just think that owning two houses in two states is (FOR ME, not for all the various landlordy or snowbirdy people out there in internet-land) a PITA. I have to remember that.

Besides, the insides of the duplexes could be a deal breaker for some reason or other anyway. If these properties are as great on their insides as they are on their outsides, then we'll have some soul-searching to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #5063
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Repeat after me:
You are ready to sell now.....
Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #5064
Give me a forum ...

Today (so far) I went to work.

Yesterday, I went to work (on duty for the morning) and there was some excitement, ER style. Spent the afternoon gardening. Just before closing, went to check out the XC60 at a Volvo dealership. Arranged a test drive for next weekend. Met up with friends, went to the movies (Inception, ****), drinks and snacks, then home.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #5065
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just think that owning two houses in two states is (FOR ME, not for all the various landlordy or snowbirdy people out there in internet-land) a PITA. I have to remember that.
It may be a PITA to own 2 homes in 2 states but it may be more of a PITA to have to rent between when you sell in LA and buy in MO. You'll have to move twice. Since you can afford to own two houses at once it may be a good idea. Something to think about.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #5066
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
We looked at real estate all day here in Missouri, even though we think we probably don't want to buy quite yet. We need to put our houses on the market and sell them first. I think.

We saw a duplex that may be exactly perfect, although we have to arrange an appointment before we can see the inside. But the neighborhood is beautiful, convenient, and walkable, the lot is a perfect size and low maintenance, the duplex is fairly new and very nice looking, and the price is very attractive.

I have to just keep chanting this mantra:

What city are you looking in (in MO)? I can't imagine moving to MO from New Orleans but YMMV... I'm in KC.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #5067
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
What city are you looking in (in MO)? I can't imagine moving to MO from New Orleans but YMMV... I'm in KC.
Oh, I'll help with this one.

When was the last time they evacuated KC?

There was a time that I thought evacuating was no big deal. I've seen dozens of them on television, right? Then I saw two of them up close and personal. I went to Katrina as a first responder, and a month later I was fleeing my own home ahead of Rita. I'll never do that again, and I damn sure can't imagine doing it in my 60's or older.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #5068
Give me a forum ...

I think W2R and Frank are signing the papers today...because I thought I felt a bit of a rumble here in TX...

Talked to a friend today.

Have stew slow cooking on the stove...beef, taters, carrots, tomatoes, onions and will add black beans that I cooked separately.

Beans...hmmm...there probably will be a rumble in TX tonight.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #5069
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't buy it because on further examination we found some problems in it, but then found ANOTHER perfect house. This is a single huge house with two large living quarters, each with a private front door entrance, joined with doors leading into a common oversized garage. In the back is an outbuilding containing an air conditioned 400 square foot workshop for Frank. The house is wonderfully isolated, on the corner of two quiet streets, with a golf course across the street. It isn't near many businesses, though I am tempted not to care. The lot is reasonably flat.

We left feeling somewhat schizo... how can there be two so nearly perfect places for us? Apparently with the housing downturn (in Springfield, Thinker! ) it is becoming easier and easier to find a great place. The best houses aren't getting snapped up very quickly so there are more available.

We decided to wait until we sell at least one of our houses before buying another. Meadh is right. Maybe this experience will give us some motivation to get busy and get our houses ready to sell.

Also, Leonidas is 100%, no 500% correct. I believe he understands what happened here with Katrina.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #5070
Give me a forum ...

Did some maint. on my suburban.

For the first time since Tues. when DW picked up our new kitty, I named him Charley, let him outside. He poked around and disappeared in the bushes. Having left the door open, he showed up in the kitchen about two hours later.

I think this means he decided this is home. Much to the relief of DW, who was having fits in the meantime.

My motto: set them free, If they don't come back..... well it wasn't meant to be.

DW made salmon dinner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0309.jpg (437.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #5071

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
DW made salmon dinner.
Sure hope you shared with Charlie.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #5072
Give me a forum ...

Yep, he had a sample.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #5073
Recycles dryer sheets

Worked a bit in the garden

Old 08-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #5074
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Worked a bit in the garden
Mmmm, hmmmm...I'll never think of you as 'Tigger' again.....
Old 08-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #5075
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had a mini reunion with some old, I mean, experienced Air Force buddies from 25 years ago.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #5076
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Made a large pot of soup and a large salad with produce from garden and Farmers Market. Ran the dishwasher twice (and probably again tomorrow). Filled compost bucket twice.

Watched some chickens wander through the 'hood.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #5077
Give me a forum ...

Went to the Blessing of the Combines yesterday down in Snow Hill. Today was the Berlin (MD) Peach Festival with DW, SIL and her DH, a few hours on the beach, crabs for dinner, and now kicking back watching Force 10 from Navaronne and eating peach ice cream. Nice day.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #5078
Give me a forum ...

This weekend...bilged the boat by hand because the battery is still dead. Jump pack should be here today.
Mowed the lawn. How exciting!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #5079
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Didn't buy it because on further examination we found some problems in it, but then found ANOTHER perfect house. This is a single huge house with two large living quarters, each with a private front door entrance, joined with doors leading into a common oversized garage. In the back is an outbuilding containing an air conditioned 400 square foot workshop for Frank. The house is wonderfully isolated, on the corner of two quiet streets, with a golf course across the street. It isn't near many businesses, though I am tempted not to care. The lot is reasonably flat.

We left feeling somewhat schizo... how can there be two so nearly perfect places for us? Apparently with the housing downturn (in Springfield, Thinker! ) it is becoming easier and easier to find a great place. The best houses aren't getting snapped up very quickly so there are more available.

We decided to wait until we sell at least one of our houses before buying another. Meadh is right. Maybe this experience will give us some motivation to get busy and get our houses ready to sell.

Also, Leonidas is 100%, no 500% correct. I believe he understands what happened here with Katrina.
I absolutely understand why you would not want the evacuation issue ever again. Just curious why you are choosing Springfield MO? I'm from the east coast and STILL miss the ocean. No ocean in Springfield (or KC...)
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #5080

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
I absolutely understand why you would not want the evacuation issue ever again. Just curious why you are choosing Springfield MO? I'm from the east coast and STILL miss the ocean. No ocean in Springfield (or KC...)
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you, unlike the folks living in NO, never had the ocean in your living room...