Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #5101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't want to have to live in separate states for any substantial period of time (though that may not seem so bad to some of you long-married folks).
Eh, not this 30-year married couple...

Quote:
... if I had my own RV and slaved over a hot microwave stove to prepare each and every meal...
See, it is all in your 'tude. We look at meal preparation as something FUN, an activity that we would do more if it weren't for the weight gain problem.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #5102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...That's it? You need to move south. Maybe become neighbor with W2R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Freebird could become my neighbor . I'd even share my dock !
Quote:
Wow! It appears FB is not logged in to read this generous offer. But will she have to trade in her speedboat for a sailboat?
I'm still here, just on summer vacation.

If it is after November, I am always ready to head for points southward. I'm a hell of a 1st mate on any vessel.

Make me an offer I cannot refuse.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #5103
Give me a forum ...

Good to see you around. I have no boat to offer a ride on. Probably will never own any boat. I got seasick as a dog the one time we went on a catamaran cruise in Kauai, and I forgot to take Dramamine.

You need to team up with Sarah. Have you seen the picture of the boat she just got?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #5104
Give me a forum ...

Fixed a drainage problem my neighbor has been bitching about commented on recently. Took a trip to the landfill. Cooked a simple dinner (burgers, corn on the cob, fresh broccoli and carrots, salad. Finished breaking into the safe. Should have waited on the landfill trip until I finished.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #5105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Eh, not this 30-year married couple...
Newlyweds....
Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #5106
Give me a forum ...

Soon to be going on a long honeymoon trip in the RV...

Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #5107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Soon to be going on a long honeymoon trip in the RV...
Right. I think you're suffering from the "just one more year" syndrome when it comes to using that motor home...
Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #5108
Give me a forum ...

Heh heh heh... I have been practicing "delayed gratification" all my life, so why the hurry now? It takes time to set things up the way I want anyway. Just got the tow bracket mounted on the toad last weekend. Still have to do the toad wiring. Been studying toad brake systems. Patient, patient... Heh heh heh...

Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 AM   #5109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good to see you around. I have no boat to offer a ride on. Probably will never own any boat. I got seasick as a dog the one time we went on a catamaran cruise in Kauai, and I forgot to take Dramamine.

You need to team up with Sarah. Have you seen the picture of the boat she just got?
Yes, I did. Drooling with envy.

No boat?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #5110
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday I:

Cut the grass
Cleaned up the shed........wells sort of
Cleaned up the kitchen
Did some grocery shopping
Went to the 1/4 mile track with my son and some friends.

Below is a couple pictures of him in the blue car.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #5111

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
Yesterday I:

Cut the grass
Cleaned up the shed........wells sort of
Cleaned up the kitchen
Did some grocery shopping
Went to the 1/4 mile track with my son and some friends.

Below is a couple pictures of him in the blue car.

Neat Pictures If you had swung your camera to your left a little you would have been pointing toward my back yard about three miles down the road. As a contrast in time here is a pic from one of the first times I went to that track. It was known as Dragway Park then and hosted a NHRA divisional race each May. My hangout was behind the fence you see behind Beck's car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GAry BEck Cayuga.jpg (12.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #5112
Confused about dryer sheets

Morning at Otter Lake (ER day 12)

Got up--praised the gods of back pain that they are off duty.
Rubbed dog while he went "RRRRrrrrrrrr"
Made coffee.
Checked yesterday's stock market (rrrrrrrrrrRRR)
Took coffee to lake.
Made a small fire.
Observed (and listened to) Loons on lake.
Watched mid morning sun make sparkles on water.
Noticed very large frog.
Threw stick in lake for dog.
Walked back up to house thinking about lunch.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #5113
Give me a forum ...

Yeah...I love the pics too My Dream! He is one fortunate young man owning a Vette....

So far today, I've crawled out of bed, had a beverage and am making my way to the shower. I've got bed-head hair.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #5114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
So far today, I've crawled out of bed, had a beverage and am making my way to the shower. I've got bed-head hair.
I am in about the same condition.

We had thunderstorms from 5-8 AM this morning with extremely loud thunder oh, about 6 feet over my bed I think. I got stuck between asleep and awake for the longest time. When I finally got up at 9:30 I was a bit discombobulated, to say the least. Then (groan) realized that I am trying once again to ditch coffee so it was caffeine free peach herb tea for me this morning.

Today is a better day than any work day I ever had...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #5115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I know you're doing some charitable giving - don't forget charity begins at home. Buy yourself a new(er) car and donate the lead sled to the charity of your choice.
But... but... the tires are brand-new!

I've pointed out to spouse that from an engineering perspective, the only practicable operational electric vehicle currently on the road is the Tesla. She understands that would also involve adding a pergola to the house (more roof space for another few kilowatts of PV panels) and of course she could choose whatever colors she wants for all of those things.

In 2005 the Altima was attacked by a wet road and a guardrail, so it's definitely damaged goods of the "donate to charity and auction for $600" variety. That means yesterday's tow to the auto shop was a quarter of the car's value. While we were waiting for the tow, our CarMD ODBII reader confirmed that it's not a primary coil or starter-motor problem. The tow guy confirmed the battery was fine (which we already knew) and the starter motor is just too hard to get at with a hammer. None of those components gave even the slightest warning of impending death, anyway. Inexpert consensus is the ignition interlock relay on the clutch pedal, but we hope to hear from the garage today.

After we get back from surfing. And the rental Subaru Forester can hold a lot of beach gear!

Quote:
Nords, congratulations on your new-found freedom!! Life without as many day-to-day parental responsibilities can be exhilarating, even though you may reminisce about the days when your "baby" was always by your side and enjoy those sweet memories too. And your DD knows she can always rely more heavily on her parents from time to time, if need be.
Also, I agree with REWahoo that you should buy yourself a brand new car (or new-to-you car) to celebrate your freedom.
We decided not to buy that house, or any house up north right now. Frank still thinks it is not a good time to sell, so while we will gradually prepare our houses for later selling, we don't plan to put them on the market any time soon. And, if he is not putting his house on the market, then I will not be doing that either. I don't want to have to live in separate states for any substantial period of time (though that may not seem so bad to some of you long-married folks). I enjoy spending time with him so much, and life is short.
We've learned to educate our kid about ER while trying not to flaunt our enjoyment of it. But like any teen, she wouldn't understand how our car problems have any possible relevance to her college experiences.

Here's a little math/logic problem to discuss with Frank. If both real estate markets are largely experiencing the same conditions (a big if) then a bad time to sell makes it a good time to buy. If both houses are roughly the same cost, then a 20% discount on your sale is also going to mean a 20% discount on your purchase. Of course a difference in size/features may mean that your home's loss could be larger than your new home's savings, but at least you can put a number on the discussion to go with the emotional impacts of selling/moving.

It turns out that logic may also apply to pergolas, PV panels, and Teslas...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #5116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
If you had swung your camera to your left a little you would have been pointing toward my back yard about three miles down the road. As a contrast in time here is a pic from one of the first times I went to that track. It was known as Dragway Park then and hosted a NHRA divisional race each May. My hangout was behind the fence you see behind Beck's car.
I remember when it was called Dragway Park, sounds as though you don't live to far from me. Below is a picture more to the left, oh and thanks for sharing the picture.

By the way bbbam1 care to share a picture of the so called "bed-head"?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #5117
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...Here's a little math/logic problem to discuss with Frank. If both real estate markets are largely experiencing the same conditions (a big if) then a bad time to sell makes it a good time to buy. If both houses are roughly the same cost, then a 20% discount on your sale is also going to mean a 20% discount on your purchase. Of course a difference in size/features may mean that your home's loss could be larger than your new home's savings, but at least you can put a number on the discussion to go with the emotional impacts of selling/moving.
Move up in a down market. This sounds like a good time to do it. Of course, the two for one move might make it more complicated. But putting your life on hold also has a cost.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #5118
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Move up in a down market.
Yeah, that's what I meant to say. Uses a lot fewer words than describing the math behind it, too. I'm going to start using that soundbite!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #5119
Moderator Emeritus

It's not all money. Here, one effect of the real estate market difficulties is that it takes much more time to sell than one might think. We both have houses in our neighborhoods at all sorts of prices (including very attractive prices and downright low prices) that have been on the market for over a year.

I gather that Frank would like to minimize the period of time when we are either living in houses that are for sale, or taking care of multiple homes with no end in sight.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #5120
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I gather that Frank would like to minimize the period of time when we are either living in houses that are for sale, or taking care of multiple homes with no end in sight.
With the prolonged sales window wouldn't it be prudent to list both houses now, then move in together if one sold prior to the other - which will almost certainly be the case? I know you both like your own space but it seems to me your move is likely to be delayed for years if you don't take some initiative to get things going.

Just sayin...