Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #5121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
With the prolonged sales window wouldn't it be prudent to list both houses now, then move in together if one sold prior to the other - which will almost certainly be the case? I know you both like your own space but it seems to me your move is likely to be delayed for years if you don't take some initiative to get things going.

Just sayin...
If we could expect one house to sell in the next six months, I think we could buy that house up north tomorrow.

From what we can see the real estate market here is not doing well enough to expect that, no matter how low our asking prices.

It's bad enough to imagine just me living in my house for over a year while keeping it in perfect shape and immaculate and uncluttered for buyers at all times. If we wait, our time in purgatory will be shorter.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #5122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today is a better day than any work day I ever had...
When I was working we used to say "A bad day off is better than a good day at the office".
Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #5123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
When I was working we used to say "A bad day off is better than a good day at the office".
That is so true! And in retirement, every night's a Friday night, and every day's a Saturday.

I really haven't have a bad day yet in over eight months of retirement. I suppose that I will get more particular about what I call a good day, once I have been retired for a few years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #5124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
By the way bbbam1 care to share a picture of the so called "bed-head"?
Hmmm, well.....ok, here ya go....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedhead.jpg (443.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #5125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I gather that Frank would like to minimize the period of time when we are either living in houses that are for sale, or taking care of multiple homes with no end in sight.
I would just clean up the house, leave the key with a realtor, then take off in an RV to wander around the country until the house gets sold, but that's just me. Oh, never mind.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #5126
Moderator Emeritus

Surfing, of course. My nephew the Army Ranger made a huge improvement today after he discovered that he's a goofy footer. His girlfriend is also a natural goofy footer, and in just her second time on a longboard is already starting to carve out turns. I'm thinking that he's gonna have to marry her.

Unfortunately after all this surfing they're not happy about going back to Fort Hood. And she's deploying next month for a year in Mosul.

Just got word that our Altima is fixed. Indeed it was the ignition interlock relay on the clutch pedal. The good news is that I didn't have to figure out how to replace it. The bad news is that it cost $150 to have someone else do it. Spouse was pretty relieved that it's fixed (she has the driver's seat adjusted "just right") and admitted that she'd hoped to get another 4-5 years out of it... about as long as we expect to get out of the new tires.

Family BBQ tomorrow with perhaps a couple neighbors. More surfing Saturday morning (another south swell is arriving tomorrow night and peaking Sat-Sun) followed by the "Remodel It Right" home show. Sunday we plan to observe the (*harrumph*, sniff) polo games at Mokuleiea with perhaps a few frosty beverages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm, well.....ok, here ya go....
Well, since the subject is "bed head", you're going to have to specify whether that's the front of your head or the back...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #5127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Got up--praised the gods of back pain that they are off duty.
Rubbed dog while he went "RRRRrrrrrrrr"
Made coffee.
Checked yesterday's stock market (rrrrrrrrrrRRR)
Took coffee to lake.
Made a small fire.
Observed (and listened to) Loons on lake.
Watched mid morning sun make sparkles on water.
Noticed very large frog.
Threw stick in lake for dog.
Walked back up to house thinking about lunch.

That sounds like absolute heaven, and the perfect de-toxifying activity for the first few weeks/months of FIRE. Glad you enjoyed it, looking forward to my own detox in 28.5 months.

R
Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #5128
Recycles dryer sheets

We went to Bar Harbor today. Crazy crowded!!! Shouldn't school start soon?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #5129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just got back from an invite to do a tour of Wrigley Field complements of Fidelity. It was a really great time, I was able to bring the family and my son,11, really, really enjoyed it. They had all you can eat ballpark food and drinks (alcohol included). You could field pop flys in left field, hit in the batting cage, played an informal 16" and 12" softball home run contest. It also included a tour of the things you can't normally do, press box, both locker rooms and both dugouts. Free bags of goodies too, cubs hat, baseball, pencils,paper. Ron Santo was also present to take pictures with and we all got our baseballs signed. My son was happier doing this than going to a baseball game...and he loves baseball! I can tell you my body is aching from playing softball, haven't done this on a regular basis for about 10 years now. I think the heat index was hovering in the mid 90's with stifling humidity at night time.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #5130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yesterday I:

Cut the grass
Cleaned up the shed........wells sort of
Cleaned up the kitchen
Did some grocery shopping
Went to the 1/4 mile track with my son and some friends.

Below is a couple pictures of him in the blue car.

I'm glad your son is taking his "need for speed" to the track. Good fun without the danger of street racing
Old 08-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #5131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, since the subject is "bed head", you're going to have to specify whether that's the front of your head or the back...
Wow, that's harsh! It's probably a good thing you're safely in Hawaii as that Texas girl would stomp you.

Since the weather is too hot/rainy to do anything outside I just played with Photoshop most of the day, taking time for lunch. I'm finally getting my head wrapped around some of the more arcane functions and capabilities.

We also bought a new photo printer (HP D7560) to replace the HP 895 Cse that finally died after about ten years. The photos it prints are astonishing in clarity, but expensive. For "one-off" prints it's probably still cheaper than ordering them or driving a store, or so I tell myself.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #5132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm glad your son is taking his "need for speed" to the track. Good fun without the danger of street racing
Having been 20 once with the same model car I know what the temptation is like so we've had many a talk. I told him if not for safety reason's, insurance would have a field day if he ever got a traffic ticket, which reminds me of a story...but I'll keep it for another day. I went with him when he asked me to go since I have no problems with him racing down a 1/4' track under ideal conditions, especially when I see he's got respect for the car and is not beating on her.

He kept asking me to take her for a run and I finally did toward then end of the evening. He got a different perspective of my driving skills since it's the first time he ever saw me drive a car to it's max. Funny too that I would beat his best time on my first try.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #5133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Just got word that our Altima is fixed. Indeed it was the ignition interlock relay on the clutch pedal. The good news is that I didn't have to figure out how to replace it. The bad news is that it cost $150 to have someone else do it.
That switch above the clutch pedal was my security system on a 79 Chevy Pickup truck. I purposely removed the link from the clutch pedal, and when needed just pushed it. Disabled the starter. Forgot to tell new owner, fortunately we were at the same diner, when he unknowingly bumped it with with his foot.

After my short explanation, he thanked me for the free security system.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #5134
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Got up--praised the gods of back pain that they are off duty.
Rubbed dog while he went "RRRRrrrrrrrr"
Made coffee.
Checked yesterday's stock market (rrrrrrrrrrRRR)
Took coffee to lake.
Made a small fire.
Observed (and listened to) Loons on lake.
Watched mid morning sun make sparkles on water.
Noticed very large frog.
Threw stick in lake for dog.
Walked back up to house thinking about lunch.

Oh, yeah, that's the life. I copied your post for inspiration. I can (but rarely do) similar things with the exception of starting a fire outside. Will file it under "how to start the day after FIRE."
Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #5135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
That switch above the clutch pedal was my security system on a 79 Chevy Pickup truck. I purposely removed the link from the clutch pedal, and when needed just pushed it. Disabled the starter. Forgot to tell new owner, fortunately we were at the same diner, when he unknowingly bumped it with with his foot.
After my short explanation, he thanked me for the free security system.
$150 repairs for a $2 part, but the car's back in service.

Of course I'm blissfully ignorant of how much interference had to be removed to get to that part, and whether its mechanical/electrical connections cooperated with the repair. Not having to do it myself? Priceless.

This interlock really ticks me off because it prevents roll-starting the car when it has a dead battery (or bad starter, etc). Having it break after "only" 13 years is just adding insult to injury.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #5136
Give me a forum ...

Must be something to this Friday the 13th thing. My Dell laptop died this morning trying to come up. Turned it off and then back on, but no life what so ever. Massive heart attack. He was only 3.5 years old. Pisser. A couple of months ago the thing cratered and I was able to get it going again by erasing the hard drived and re-installing everything. So not surprised I had another problem. Bought a Gateway at Best Buy. Probably could have saved a few bucks buying online, but couldn't get online. Oh well.....what's a few hundred anyway?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #5137
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I gave blood this morning. #170 Got a tshirt and a 'thank you' note.
BP: 110/70
Old 08-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #5138

Quote:
I remember when it was called Dragway Park, sounds as though you don't live to far from me. Below is a picture more to the left, oh and thanks for sharing the picture.

By the way bbbam1 care to share a picture of the so called "bed-head"?

I am behind the dip in the treeline at the left of the picture. I have a ton of old Cayuga drag photos some where. A winter project is to pull them out and post them on a photo sharing site. I will put a link here when the time comes.

I am scared to comment on bed head!
Old 08-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #5139
Give me a forum ...

All this fuss over bed-head....

Doesn't everybody have one?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #5140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This interlock really ticks me off because it prevents roll-starting the car when it has a dead battery (or bad starter, etc). Having it break after "only" 13 years is just adding insult to injury.
The clutch safety switches are generally designed to inhibit the starter only, to keep car/truck runaway from happening, not ignition. Should be able to roll-start.

In other news, stacked 2 1/2 cords of firewood for the winter season, got the oil tank filled up, 385 gallons used last winter, and burned 1 1/2 cords of wood.

Then rested up by sunbathing for a half hour.

Let it snow.