Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #5161
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to Farmers' Market: fruit and vegetables and meat. Bought a Polish sausage on a bun with sauerkraut from the hot food stand, haven't had something like that in years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #5162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Went to Farmers' Market: fruit and vegetables and meat. Bought a Polish sausage on a bun with sauerkraut from the hot food stand, haven't had something like that in years.
I have had several of these this year at our local market on Saturday. The also have a great breakfast sandwich of pea meal bacon and egg.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #5163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday...played 3 games of intense chess with my favorite Bostonian.
He conceded the first 2 games to me , then slammed me with a quick checkmate in the 3rd game. Curses...foiled again.
Today... I left the board home and met him for a nice afternoon with all the trimmings.

Life is good.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #5164
Give me a forum ...

Sunbathing. It has been hot and sunny for almost a week, so I am taking advantage of that to top up my Vit D. Today was much cooler and cloudy till 12:30 or so, but then clouds burned off and I went out. While at the park I read more of the Swedroe book on bonds. I think this is a very good book, and everything a person needs to understand the space pretty well. Not as much as I would like on TIPS however.

I think I'll cross post this part to the What Have You Read Thread.

Ha
Old 08-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #5165
Moderator Emeritus

Let's see, what did I do today:

1) I pull my (almost) brand new car too far into the garage and scratched the heck out of my front fender. Toyota says $774 to repair it.

2) I finally installed the new sound card on my computer. It looks like the driver corrupted a bunch of very important files including Quicken's master file and all Quicken backup files. The external backup drives synced to the corrupted files before I realized what was happening. The most recent intact backup file (stored on a separate thumb drive) dates from 12/19/2009. That's 8 months worth of data lost.

The good news: now that I am FIREd I have all the time in the world to deal with this kind of cr@p...
Old 08-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #5166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Yesterday...played 3 games of intense chess with my favorite Bostonian.
It reads like there are a few, or at least one other Bostonian who are not in favor. Oh, never mind. NMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I pull my (almost) brand new car too far into the garage and scratched the heck out of my front fender. Toyota says $774 to repair it.
If the bumper cover is not torn and just the surface paint got scratched, seems to me a 3rd party should be able to patch and paint that plastic part for much less than $774.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #5167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Took my mom to the doc this afternoon for routine check up. What a frustrating experience. First, she's 92 years old and it's tough for her to sit up in a hard chair for a long time. Well after an hour of sitting she is ready to go home. I said let's give it 10 more minutes and sure enough, she get's called. Thirty more minutes in another room and finally a nurse comes in and ask a few questions and takes her blood pressure. Doc finally comes in for the 3 minute session and she's off for blood work. So after 2 hours and 20 minutes we leave. I know doctors are important and busy, but it pisses me off that someone her age has to go through a long drawn out wait like this. It's been over a year since she has seen a doc and I had to beg her to go, but I'm sure this will end it for her. And I can't say I blame her.
Same as above for today. Took another 90 minutes to see the damn doctor. I showed my a$$ to the doc today, but I don't care. Told her my mom does not need to be sitting around this long to see anyone. She apologized and acted like it was an unusual day, but I pointed out the same thing happened 2 weeks ago. Hell, today there were only a couple of people in the waiting room when we got there. Told my mom this was it, moving on to another doc.

Oh well.......thank god my frig is stocked with meds.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #5168
Give me a forum ...

Got up at 6 a.m. to fix breakfast for DH and his buddy. They were going to leave at 7 on their cross-country motorcycle adventure. It looked like rain, so they waited a while...I could tell they were getting antsy, so I told 'em to put on their big girl panties and get on the road. They did.

Now I've got to figure out what I'm gonna do for the next three weeks.

Hmmmm.....

Movies taped...check....chilled wine...check.

I think I'm good.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #5169
Moderator Emeritus

That must have been some breakfast, bbbamI.

Made eggs for brunch and then checked the code. Sure enough they are in one of the recalled batches.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #5170
Moderator Emeritus

Got a great "pre-moving" Gantt chart that I requested from Frank. One thing he really knows how to do, after all those years in engineering, is manage a project. The Gantt chart is brilliant and took all the convoluted sequences of tasks (that were giving me headaches) into consideration, so the critical path is apparent. It actually makes all the fixing and repairing seem less than endless.

Do I sound thrilled? I am. It's such a gas that he can use his engineering training and skills for OUR benefit now instead of for the benefit of megacorps. After lunch we Xeroxed four copies (two for him, and two for me). The nice thing about it is that I don't have to do anything until Friday.

Then we spent the afternoon together at his place. Tonight, I *ruthlessly* went through my kitchen cabinets, sorting into "move", "toss", and "donate" piles. Very little will be moved, only about 20% of the cabinet contents, and it has been put back in the cabinets. Nothing that has been unused for five years will be moved. The "toss" pile is now in the trash.

The "donate" pile is boxed up by the front door. If he finishes with the plumbers at his house (again) in time tomorrow, we can make a Good Will run.

Did some online clothes shopping and ordering. That about covers it! I'm tired and will sleep well tonight.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #5171
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Congrats W2R, sounds like you're really serious about making things happen with your sale/move.

Please keep us advised of the progress on your Gantt chart so that we can goad you into action help celebrate your progress.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #5172
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I salvaged an almost brand new Nikon 6mp camera off craigslist. Person posted this for free after dropping the camera on vacation and the lens jammed in the open position which caused the camera to lock up with a "lens error". Being the tinkering kind of person that I am, I offered to try to fix it instead of adding to a landfill. After messing with it for under 1 minute, I now have a working camera! Pretty good return I must say, got the box, manuals, software and accessories (only missing batteries and memory card). It still sells on Amazon (where it was purchased) for almost $200.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #5173
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess I joined the old fa*t, retirees club tonight. For the first time in years, I got my sons old mountain bicycle out, aired up the tires (which were completely flat) and went for a 1.5 mile ride at around 11PM. I'm out of breath and my legs feel like noodles. I suppose that's a good thing. It means I actually exercised for the first time in a while.
Got to get into it and keep it up though,
Steve
Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #5174
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Congrats W2R, sounds like you're really serious about making things happen with your sale/move.

Please keep us advised of the progress on your Gantt chart so that we can goad you into action help celebrate your progress.
I am sure you will need to do that, every step of the way!

I just finished packing four boxes of stuff for Good Will, consolidating furniture for the first Salvation Army pickup in the front room, and filling out some details for the coming week on the Gantt chart. First items on the Gantt chart: On Friday, call the tree removing company and the electrician to get estimates. That's not too bad. Yet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #5175
Moderator Emeritus

We love our guests, but after 34 consecutive days of them it's a huge relief to be alone in this house again.

Now spouse and I will have to figure out what we're going to do all day together.

Tomorrow will probably involve still even yet more surfing.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #5176

Lazed around all morning, lots of fog so didn't want to go for a bike ride. Ordered a slave flash for the camera for an upcoming wedding and a small camera tripod for an upcoming air show. The air show is free but I'll pay the $20 donation to a charity for the "up front" seats under a tent.

The weather cleared and went for a bike ride but it got warm quickly, I was thirsty (all that salt in the sausage I ate) and was just feeling that I wasn't "in the groove" today on the bike so went home. I love riding the motorcycle, but pushing the envelope is unwise - I want to ride it again!

So played with color balancing with the camera and Photoshop with a color checking chart and got pretty close with it. To do much better I'd have to invest in some serious color calibration gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color check 002.jpg (107.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #5177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We love our guests, but after 34 consecutive days of them it's a huge relief to be alone in this house again.

Now spouse and I will have to figure out what we're going to do all day together.

Tomorrow will probably involve still even yet more surfing.
OMG.....I would be afraid to stay a second night in case I had overstayed my welcome!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #5178

After 12 weeks of my own ER, and spending a few hours here and there, day-by-day, I completed a detailed cleaning and de-cluttering of my home today. (That was one of two main goals I envisioned for early-on in ER, along with exercising more and losing weight.) I went room-by-room, clockwise--starting from the bathroom, then to the linen closet, bedroom, hallway closet, extra hallway closet, kitchen, washer-dryer nook, large living room area, then my back bedroom/storage area--and cleaned, scrubbed, rubbed, dusted and disinfected every nook and cranny of every room and closet, collected boxes of stuff that I donated to Goodwill, and rearranged furniture, wall hangings, and nick-nacks. I shredded about two file boxes of old documents and obsolete PC floppies. I labeled, indexed, and organized my audio cassette and video tapes. All-in-all, I created a brand-new feng shui for myself.

But these 12 weeks have not been all about cleaning and de-cluttering. I have also been swimming a lot in the local outdoor public pool, read about four books so far, visiting family and friends, and even went through an entire 8-DVD collection of some old classic comedies I have been wanting to see for some time now. "I wish Cotton was a monkey."

Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #5179
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
OMG.....I would be afraid to stay a second night in case I had overstayed my welcome!
Nah, they rolled through here in waves and everyone gets along fine. Some of them we haven't seen in years, others we just finished vacationing with in other places. What made it challenging is that we apparently managed to cram a year's worth of house guests into a month. We also had a tantalizing taste of the empty-nester lifestyle in June so we're eager to get back into it.

Our first "house guest" was our kid returning home from travel in early July for the final pre-college countdown. She spent most of her time buzzing around town doing "last" things, in & out at all hours of the day/night, and trying to cram all her worldly essentials into two no three just four suitcases. We put her on the plane on 9 Aug.

One of our friends was rehabbing her condo (with our help) and getting in new tenants. That lasted from 16 July to a week ago. Some of it was nasty plumbing repairs, other parts were a new kitchen sink and cleaning/painting. We spent a lot of time researching home-improvement projects ("new carpet or not?") and waiting for the phone to ring. During her final week we were all able to squeeze in some quality liberty time.

One of the friends our kid stayed with during her travels came out here for a reciprocal visit. That was from 4-11 Aug. She's hands-down one of the best teen house guests we could ever hope to have. I was even impressed by her boyfriend, an accomplishment to which my own kid can not yet lay claim.

My nephew the Army Ranger and his girlfriend stayed from the 7th to the 18th, during her pre-deployment block leave. That was strictly recreation and career bitching consultations. We'll see him again next month when we visit our kid at Rice's Families Weekend.

Feel free to visit anytime. It's probably better to stay at least three days because you'll need a recovery day in between surf sessions...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:37 AM   #5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Got up at 6 a.m. to fix breakfast for DH and his buddy. They were going to leave at 7 on their cross-country motorcycle adventure. It looked like rain, so they waited a while...I could tell they were getting antsy, so I told 'em to put on their big girl panties and get on the road. They did.

Now I've got to figure out what I'm gonna do for the next three weeks.

Hmmmm.....

Movies taped...check....chilled wine...check.

I think I'm good.
Can your man stay 3 weeks away from those boots?