Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #5201
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Where I live it's really, really cold in winter. I had to replace my Honda battery after 12 years.

Wow!!! That's wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
I don't think the weather in NO is much different than that here in Texas and I have never had to replace a battery in my Toyotas early. They last a good four years. I don't think its the climate. You just got a bad battery or something else with your car. By the way, I thought it wasn't in the recall?
I guess that depends on where in Texas - - I love having an average 60"/year of rain, whereas in College Station we only had about half that, for example. I never heard of anybody in College Station having trouble with Toyota stock batteries either when I lived there. So far, I am 2/2 with Toyota batteries dying young here and 2/2 with high quality batteries lasting over 5 years here. But then, hey, what would I know about any of this? Message boards are for people to disagree and wrangle (with civility, naturally) about even the simplest things.

You're right, it wasn't in the first recall, and in fact even the Toyota service rep I spoke with today (the paperwork guy, not the mechanic) thought it wasn't in the recall either until I told him I got the notice. It was in a later recall which I guess included fewer fixes. I took it in at 11:45, and they called me saying it was done at around 2:00 or so, and I guess that's why they were able to do all that so fast.

Thank goodness they didn't have to replace the carpet, since it was upgraded and already firmly bonded to the floor. There was a software update I think, and supposedly they re-shaped the accelerator pedal (which if my recollection is correct doesn't come closer than 3"-4" or so from the carpet anyway, but ok). The pedal felt the same to me so it must have been a subtle change.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #5202
Moderator Emeritus

Sixth surf session in 12 days, this one in eight-footers.

I did the first 90 minutes with my 9'0", and in retrospect I should've just left it in the car. I did another hour with my kid's 7'9" epoxy (just making sure it doesn't dry out while she's at college) and wow-- what a difference.

That was an 800 mg ibuprofen surfing session, but I'll try more with the epoxy board on Monday.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #5203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It reads like there are a few, or at least one other Bostonian who are not in favor. Oh, never mind. NMB.
You're a real character. I may have to grant you Honorary Noo Yawker rights.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #5204
Give me a forum ...

I have only visited the state on brief occasions, nor have had friends from there.

But Noo Yawkers have a reputation to be "neurotic and unfriendly" according to a Cambridge University research. I guess my tendency to taunt people is a trait shared with Noo Yawkers then. Uh Oh!

So, how about this to make amend to a "fellow Noo Yawker"?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #5205
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have only visited the state on brief occasions, nor have had friends from there.

But Noo Yawkers have a reputation to be "neurotic and unfriendly" according to a Cambridge University research. I guess my tendency to taunt people is a trait shared with Noo Yawkers then. Uh Oh!

So, how about this to make amend to a "fellow Noo Yawker"?
Make it chocolate and you gotta deal !

"Neurotic and unfriendly"...hmmmmm. I'll take Neurotic for $200, Alex.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #5206
Moderator Emeritus

In one of those ironic Navy twists of fate (of which I'm sure there will be many more), today I had to sign as parent for our kid's NROTC scholarship. She's under 18 years old (for a few more months) and considered too young to enter into legal contracts.

The reason she's signing it now, over a week after being indoctrinated into NROTC, is because the naval officer's obligation has changed to five years' commissioned service (instead of four) and the program obligation now starts after just one year (instead of two). This was all announced many months ago but the latest & greatest version of NSTC1533/135 just hit the streets-- two weeks too late. Apparently some naval traditions never change.

Of all the things that I've had to sign away to the Navy over the last 32 years, I always thought "and your first-born child, too" was just a figure of speech...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 08-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #5207
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Of all the things that I've had to sign away to the Navy over the last 32 years, I always thought "and your first-born child, too" was just a figure of speech...
Hey, you "bought" an annuity from them so whaddya expect?
Old 08-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #5208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Make it chocolate and you gotta deal !

"Neurotic and unfriendly"...hmmmmm. I'll take Neurotic for $200, Alex.

Sorry for the late delivery, but I have been shopping for this.

About "neurotic", what does it really mean, I wonder?

Could it be simply an euphemism for crazy?

A bit of Web research is in order. So, a quick look on Wikipedia yielded the following.
...effects of neurosis can involve anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, etc., behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, etc., cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, etc. Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, etc

Ah, I feel so much better now. I am neurotic, you are neurotic, they are neurotic... We are all a bunch of neurotics here as far as I have seen. And that is even after the political forum has been closed.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #5209
Give me a forum ...

I test drove a Toyota Venza (I'll report on the Which Car? thread). Then a light lunch with friends at a local diner, followed by grocery shopping. After this, a bike ride in the park is planned, followed by (groan) laundry.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #5210
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The reason she's signing it now, over a week after being indoctrinated into NROTC, is because the naval officer's obligation has changed to five years' commissioned service (instead of four) and the program obligation now starts after just one year (instead of two).
Getting them younger and keeping them longer, eh? And the Navy didn't have the decency to send the press gang to the house to save you the cost of the airline ticket! The Marine Corps at least paid for my bus fare to Parris Island.

So, if she makes it a year and a half in the program and decides to chuck Rice and engineering aside - does it mean she has to spend time as BMSR Nords at Chinhae NB before she can go on to live her real dream of being a pro-surfer?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #5211
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Getting them younger and keeping them longer, eh?
It's technically five active and three Reserve, although the latter three can be served out in IRR.

Here's more irony-- the obligation for the NROTC Marine Corps option is only four years. I guess that means they learn faster? Or wear out sooner?

BTW our tenant's teen (http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rps-50045.html) starts MCRD San Diego on 7 Sep. He's spent the last month working out 3x/week with all the nice local gunny sergeants and he doesn't think recruit training is going to be very nasty after all. He signed up for four active/four Reserve in order to be guaranteed combat engineer, assuming he satisfactorily completes infantry school first.

Quote:
And the Navy didn't have the decency to send the press gang to the house to save you the cost of the airline ticket! The Marine Corps at least paid for my bus fare to Parris Island.
We've been told that a travel claim is going to be filed. (I can't wait to get our kid's e-mail titled "My first travel claim".) But I bet we lose money on this one-- the Navy itinerary would route through LAX, Phoenix, Denver, and Atlanta instead of going non-stop to Houston.

The money ain't quite the same as a service academy, either, although those guys "pay" plenty for it. The NROTC stipend is only given out for 10 months a year. (Freshman year it's $250/month.) During the other two months the mids are either on cruise (and being paid a regular midshipman pay of $960/month) or on unpaid leave. I'd be surprised if summer training is more than 4-6 weeks.

ROTC doesn't exactly jump right into the money after graduation, either. A taekwondo friend was commissioned from AFROTC to 2LT last May. They handed him a diploma & a commission and said "See you in November for flight school. We'll start paying you then!" So now he's spending his 40 hours/week as a delivery driver for a medical-supply company.

Quote:
So, if she makes it a year and a half in the program and decides to chuck Rice and engineering aside - does it mean she has to spend time as BMSR Nords at Chinhae NB before she can go on to live her real dream of being a pro-surfer?
It's either that or pay back the cost of the resources they've consumed, plus interest. The contract doesn't precisely spell out the gory details, no doubt to leave room for negotiation if it turns out that they're mutually disgusted. If she went past the "free" period and later tried to ditch NROTC while staying at Rice then there'd definitely be some shortages in the college fund. Not my problem!

Of course she loves college right now because freshman Orientation Week just ended. I'm sure she'll be singing another tune by Families Weekend.

I've been to Chinhae, although hopefully things have improved since 1991. That's the only liberty brief I ever heard where the corpsman was more concerned about hepatitis than venereal diseases. The hepatitis wasn't just coming from the food, either...

Old 08-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #5212
Give me a forum ...

I have doors on the brain...I stained the 3rd door of my project to redo all the faded stain on the interior cheapo fake "woodcore" doors that are original from construction in 1977. I am using a regular dark walnut stain right over the original stain. Give it 10 minutes and it starts to thicken and spreads beautifully without running. I am using a standard 2 inch brush to make a simulated wood grain look.

I still have 4 folding closet doors to do, and the back side of the 3 doors done this week.

The results are just fabulous.

I think some new doorknobs are in order. I may go with a faux antique look. I have too many doors to try an antique place for some genuine ones.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #5213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think some new doorknobs are in order. I may go with a faux antique look. I have too many doors to try an antique place for some genuine ones.
Antique Restoration Hardware for Home Renovators. Supply Yourself With Quality Restoration Hardware for Period Home Renovation Projects.

Van Dykes Restorers - restoration hardware, glass, furniture and restoration supplies

Craftsman bungalow restoration decor and home furnishings

Ed Donaldson Hardware Restorations

Ian Evans's World of Old Houses

http://www.victorianhardware.com/misc.html

Woodworker's Hardware® - Kitchen Cabinet hardware, clamps, cabinet drawer slides, knobs, pulls, hinges, abrasives, adhesives, cabinet organizers.

etc., etc., etc.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #5214
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Home Depot & Lowes carry Schlage interior antique bronze lever handles.

Schlage Camelot Handleset with Flair Interior Lever (Antique Brass) - Left Hand - F360 CAM 609 FLA LH at The Home Depot

We just put new lever handles on a half-dozen interior doors in our 1989 home... thinking ahead to the days when our arthritis-clawed digits will no longer wish to clasp & turn. Makes it easier for grandkids and pets, too.

The nicest thing about this hardware is that it's adjustable to either type of knob inset. No new holes or adapters required.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #5215
Moderator Emeritus

Got an estimate on tree removal and some other major landscaping work in preparation for selling the house. The estimate was about 1/3 what I expected so I am jubilant. On the other hand, they are not in any rush to get started in this heat.

We had a nice lunch.

After lunch, we traveled 45 miles to Tanger outlet mall and walked around (spending nothing but it was fun anyway and good exercise). There were some great sales going on. It was hot and we walked pretty far, and eventually I just had to sit down and cool off. So, while he shopped at Cabela's I read on my Kindle in the air conditioned car.

When we got back we took a huge load of my kitchen things to Good Will.

Then, the grocery store.

Yep! Nothing to do in retirement but sit and stare at the wall.... (not!)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #5216

Yesterday was "Bike Night" in Martinsburg, WV. I was too late for the ride (DW was coming back from a week in SC yesterday and I wanted to see her). But I did get in to see many of the bikes and the ride through town.

Lots of touristy kitschy stuff for sale in trailers set up on the street and an appearance by Miss Berkeley County, WV (I didn't know there was one) riding on the back of someone's bike.

Even though the sky was overcast it was still 91 F and humid so I didn't stay for more than a hour and half or so. Rain threatened so I headed home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike Night 013.jpg (165.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bike Night 017.jpg (161.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bike Night 035.jpg (157.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bike Night 080.jpg (138.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Bike Night 085.jpg (186.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #5217
Give me a forum ...

Love the pics Walt.

DH and his buddy are on a multi-state bike adventure and are enjoying much cooler temps than TX.

As for me, I went to bed at 2 a.m. and got up a little after 11 this morning. Sucked down some caffeine and am getting ready to run some errands.

Wallpaper stripping is scheduled for the afternoon...doesn't mean I'm gonna do it, but it's scheduled.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #5218
Give me a forum ...

Early kayaking on the lake. This morning's find: A hint of Fall on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0339.jpg (627.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #5219
Moderator Emeritus

Our kid posted a college freshman-orientation photo on FaceBook that I'm pretty sure she's going to regret someday. I won't post it here but let me just sear this visual image into your retinas: "shaving cream fight".

The good news is that classes start tomorrow.

We empty nesters resumed our 10-day grocery-shopping schedule (we could only store seven days when we had a teen in the house). Later this morning we emptied a vermipost tray and harvested a two-gallon bucket of worm poop rich, fertile, organic soil.

It'll be nap time as soon as I finish lunch.

This afternoon I'll get back to drafting the 64-page "pocket guide" version of The Military Guide. I'm a quarter of the way through but it's more about what gets left out than what gets put in.

Impact Publications says they'll have the book manuscript edited within the next week or so, and concluded with "this may go faster than anticipated". I'm going to try to curb my optimism until I see how many changes I'm asked to make...

Old 08-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #5220
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
As for me, I went to bed at 2 a.m. and got up a little after 11 this morning. Sucked down some caffeine and am getting ready to run some errands.
You know I would never want to contribute to any one's delinquency but:
Have you ever tried a shot of Brandy in that?
I've found it really improves the taste and morning enjoyment.
Such a warm fuzzy additive,
Steve
Closed Thread