Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #5381
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Two loads of laundry, ran the dishwasher, cleaned bedroom, cleaned bathroom, cleaned kitchen, ran the vacuum (had to empty it out halfway through).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #5382
Recycles dryer sheets

I started off walking the new dog with coffee in tow this morning before it got above 90 (uggh) and started getting her to stop pulling on the leash. Then off to the vet to get her checked, get heartworm meds, and get her microchipped. ($$$) The vet told her she had hit the mama owner jackpot because I would always take great care of her (awwww). She also said she doesn't think she is pure smooth collie. She's too pretty, sweet, and friendly and doesn't have the too thin face. The vet said she is what a collie ought to be. She is very healthy. And still growing. Looks like I'm in the big dog business now. But she won me over.

Then it was off to the pet stores for yummy treats, a portable water bowl, a toss toy, kong toy, a good harness and a name tag. Made up her food since I feed raw and she approves of my "cooking." Played fetch in the house with her and she's snoozing now. Cut up the treats into tiny bits.

Tomorrow we start some serious training. She's getting more relaxed with me and more confident in her new surroundings already. But she needs some manners! She is already just too cute.

I have experience with the CRF the cats have. My old boy that died this summer had it so I know all the stuff to do. My vet said they get it because I take good care of them so they live long enough to get one of big 4 old cat diseases (CRF, thyroid, cancer, or heart)
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #5383
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The handyman determined that the problems with my fans will require an electrician. So, that is still ongoing.

I talked to him about painting my living room and den.

I talked to a consignment shop about selling some of my nicer furniture.

Then I made a GoodWill run, and packed for a while. I'm sleepy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #5384
Give me a forum ...

Happy hour at oyster bar. My friend soon goes back to work, so I am giving her some end of summer treats.

This is a real popular downtown place and the energy level on a work day is intense. While my friend was at the ladies' a gal came in and sat down and said to me- Having fun? I do notice that I feel very relaxed and it likely shows on my face. I like places frequented by working people, but I am glad that I am not one of them! At least I am glad as long as I can pay my bills.

Ha
Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #5385
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I like places frequented by working people, but I am glad that I am not one of them! At least I am glad as long as I can pay my bills.

Ha
One of the things I like to do when traveling to larger cities is stopping in for coffee at a local busy coffee shop as business people are heading to w*ork. I like the atmosphere for some reason. I think it's because everyone seems to be very high energy and since retirement, that's not me. I like to people watch and feel the energy tho. I'm weird.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #5386
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Happy hour at oyster bar. My friend soon goes back to work, so I am giving her some end of summer treats.

Ha
Summer treats, eh?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #5387
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

So....after solving my frustrating tried-everything-and-finally-found-the-problem RV leak by installing a new slide gasket...no leaks through two rainstorms...I go out after an overnight shower to find it leaking again!!!

I'm definitely not a "happy camper".

I could see no problems with the new gasket on either side of the slide, but once I climbed my ladder to take a look at the top I found this:

Further investigation revealed raccoon footprints. Not sure why the new gasket became so attractive - I replaced the gasket on my other slide earlier this year and they've never bothered it. I've often left the slides open for several days and never had a problem - until now. Frickin' critters...

Anyhow, I'm spending another $75 to order a new gasket - and you can bet I'll keep the slides closed unless we're using it!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #5388
Give me a forum ...

Egads...I must be going blind. When I first looked at your pic REW, I thought those black things were revolvers.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #5389

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Egads...I must be going blind. When I first looked at your pic REW, I thought those black things were revolvers.
Nope, just shredded rubber gasket material.

I think you're probably channeling my thoughts regarding what I'll do if I catch sight of that damn raccoon.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #5390
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a lot of work and expense! I have no idea of how one would keep raccoons away in a humane manner.

To me, the photo looked like a close-up of some strange, tortured sort of animal feces on snow - - I'm really glad to read that the subject was merely chewed gasket pieces.

Packing, packing... so difficult emotionally to put my treasured things into boxes, even though I do want to do this. The house is beginning to look a little bit more de-cluttered but I have a long way to go. Until 2005 I thought I would live in this house until I took my last breath. I am was so settled in.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #5391

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have no idea of how one would keep raccoons away in a humane manner.
You have inserted an unnecessary qualification ...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #5392
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So....after solving my frustrating tried-everything-and-finally-found-the-problem RV leak by installing a new slide gasket...no leaks through two rainstorms...I go out after an overnight shower to find it leaking again!!!

I could see no problems with the new gasket on either side of the slide, but once I climbed my ladder to take a look at the top I found this:

Further investigation revealed raccoon footprints. Not sure why the new gasket became so attractive - I replaced the gasket on my other slide earlier this year and they've never bothered it. I've often left the slides open for several days and never had a problem - until now. Frickin' critters...

Anyhow, I'm spending another $75 to order a new gasket - and you can bet I'll keep the slides closed unless we're using it!
I used to think of Texas as a lifeless desert. Nope. Not no more.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #5393
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I used to think of Texas as a lifeless desert. Nope. Not no more.
Texas raccoon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rabid_raccoon.jpg (19.2 KB, 129 views)

How I spent my summer vacation...
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #5394
Give me a forum ...

How I spent my summer vacation...

With August finally over, it's time to rest reflect...

One weekend, went to a wedding of the daughter of a friend of SO's. Must have cost a fortune: exclusive private club, with prime rib, shrimp, and whores doovers out the wazoo, as well as open bar. Drank lots o' champagne!

Next, birthday weekend, with a Jackson Browne concert, and dinner and drinks with some friends.

Then, a nice, long weekend trip to Colorado, to escape the 100+ degree weather in Texas. (Did I mention that Texas also has giant, rabid raccoons?)

Planning nothing too rigorous for this weekend. Well, maybe one rigorous thing...

Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #5395
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Got the painting of the braces done and then went biking around the seawall. The last picture is the Olympic Flame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1710036.jpg (496.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg f1710039.jpg (149.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg f1710041.jpg (437.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #5396
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I hate raccoons . We had two get into our attic . That was an ordeal getting them out . We rented a trap and opened up part of the siding . We then we put a chunk of peanut butter inside ( they love peanut butter ) and out they came . We didn't kill them even though I was thoroughly pissed because they kept me awake for two nights . we drove them miles out of town and let them loose .Last I saw they were headed for Texas !
Old 09-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #5397

Check your mail. I'm sending you a box of scorpions...
Old 09-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #5398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Lovely pic freebird! ....you're wearing a miniskirt? Woo hoo...you GO girl....
Well TY. I still can wear a miniskirt without looking silly.

I would have posted the entire photo, but...um...something was showing.
[pregnant pause.......] No not THAT!

My garter was showing and I didn't want to cause any reckless pandemonium here.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #5399
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I would make a terrible witness. I never saw the corsage, just the blue dress. Had to go back and verify it was really there.

Ok, ok that was a joke, I know it was a green dress

Black pumps. Trust me on that.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #5400
Give me a forum ...

Today...hmmmmm

I played nurse to my fave guy. His stomach was all upset so I gave him one of my famous stomach rubs (now BEHAVE! ). The method is to get the victim patient to lie down on his back, close his eyes, and get the stomach muscles to relax by rubbing the abdomen in circular motions. Guaranteed to cure insomnia also.

I'm sitting in my screened porch, with 2 fans running, in 92 F temps in all cotton.
Very little of it.

I am making homemade baby bella mushroom pizza tonight. Dinner is solo but we single girls have to adjust. I am getting used to my own company more and more these days.
All is well.