Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #5521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a big fire truck at my house yesterday with 3 very cute firemen.

They came to install smoke detectors for the hearing impaired. Very nice system and I'm glad to have it. But, boy those guys...hmmmm nice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #5522
Gone but not forgotten

Why do projects take so long ? In planning you think you can just whip them out but in reality they take twice as long . We are painting and recarpeting a few areas and it is taking much longer than I thought but I am sure I'll love it when it's done .
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #5523

Just leaving Duck Key and driving down to Key West.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #5524
Moderator Emeritus

Just left New Orleans. Great food, friendly people, but the French Quarter could really use a facelift. Hopefully the economy will pick up to help those people. Now in Nashville, working our way to Chi-town.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #5525
Moderator Emeritus

I finally finished the draft "pocket guide" version of "The Military Guide" for the publisher (Our Pocket Guides). Chainsawing 200+ pages of 6"x9" text down to 64 pages of 4"x5" text was pretty painful, but if it leaves the reader wanting more then I guess I succeeded.

I'd appreciate it if those of you who are members of the invitation-only "Military Guide" social group (you know who you are) would take a look at the PDF and point out what could have been done better. My perception starts to flag after the 10th or 11th pass through the material.

I might be a bit out in front of the bus. Impact Publications has had the full-length manuscript for five weeks now, and hopefully their edits don't change so much that I'd have to re-write the pocket guide as well. OTOH I didn't want to be writing a pocket guide on a plane flight to Houston next week.

Now that I'm just about done with the writing (I hope) we can move the discussions from the social group to the main board. The next couple threads I start will deal with nominating a book cover and choosing the military charities to receive the royalties.

But first I need to inspect the accuracy of Wednesday morning's surf forecast of 4-6 feet on the south shore, as well as Thursday's & Friday's 6-8 feet. I think this is also a great opportunity to make sure my kid's epoxy board hasn't dried out too much in storage while she's at college...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #5526
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm gonna be gone for a few days....y'all be good now, ya hear?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #5527
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Try not to get too many bugs in your teeth...
Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #5528
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm gonna be gone for a few days....y'all be good now, ya hear?
Hey, where you going without ME? Meanie.

I am also headed out for an overnight trip to Ithaca NY. The plan is to visit a guitar shop that is like a mini museum (I'll take pics for the musicians here). Maybe visit the fabulous glacial gorges the area is famous for. Or maybe take a stroll across the Cornell University campus. Then dress to the nines for dinner at a Greek restaurant.

I ask you all...how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

This winter's supply plus next years' supply is in place. Left side is green, right side is seasoned for this year. Bottom right is some well seasoned (leftover from last year) that I forgot to pull out before it got covered up. Oh well.

My fave Bostonian became a country boy today. He had never stacked wood before. Now I have to engineer a pulley system to haul it up to the screened porch so my winter suppy is dry and right outside the door. Versus battling feet of snow to get more wood. Thinking, thinking....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodshed2010.jpg (45.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #5529
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Bought much stuff at farmers' market.
Went to nearby local "Pub and Eatery" and bought a reuben sandwich; hadn't had one in years.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #5530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Went to nearby local "Pub and Eatery" and bought a reuben sandwich; hadn't had one in years.
Ah, a Reuben! My favorite restaurant sandwich, and I haven't had one in at least a year either. No really good delis where I live. It is almost worth a trip to NYC just to go to Katzes on the Lower East Side. I don't recall if they have Reubens there, but I would definitely savor an extra lean corned beef on rye. And maybe a side of chopped liver. And one of their incomparable pickles. I only went to w*rk today, and the weather is much to beautiful to be hunched over a computer all day. Hey, that's what I am doing right now at home, too. I must take the pooch for a walk as it is supposed to rain tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #5531
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I ask you all...how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

This winter's supply plus next years' supply is in place. Left side is green, right side is seasoned for this year. Bottom right is some well seasoned (leftover from last year) that I forgot to pull out before it got covered up. Oh well.
I'm impressed! DH and I have been doing the same. We had a large, dead oak tree cut down and we're chainsawing and wood splitting fools. That little nip is in the evening air these days. Won't be long before the cats are flaked out around the Jotul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010009.JPG (433.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #5532
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I had completely forgotten about the reuben. They were good but pastrami on rye with cabbage borscht was my favorite. Staying away from meats that have nitrates in them now.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #5533
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
I had completely forgotten about the reuben. They were good but pastrami on rye with cabbage borscht was my favorite. Staying away from meats that have nitrates in them now.
I figure once every year or so won't cause much harm.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #5534
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Old 09-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #5535
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...(snip)...
Hi Freebird, I have a wood storage question. I'm on the California coast so we just get rain, no snow. I'm looking at your wood shed and wondering if when you get rain does the wood get too wet? In the past we stored the wood in our garage but I've heard that's not such a smart idea. So now I'm planning on going to a tarp and just bring in a little wood at a time but have heard that a wood shed is a nice way to go. Hence the question about wet wood in the rain, especially the driving rain one gets in storms around here.

P.S. Nice wood pile you have there!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #5536
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yum! And take a gander at that shinny table! Not bad for a "bear cave"!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #5537
Moderator Emeritus

I'm utterly and completely exhausted, with all the physical exertion involved with getting the house ready to list.

Today we moved the very large, antique solid oak dining table that I was using for a desk, out of my study. This is the heaviest oak dining table I have ever seen in my entire life. It weighs a TON (not literally, but it might as well). Not only was this table extremely heavy (did I mention it is heavy? ), it essentially filled my small study and had to be maneuvered on end through both tight spaces and three doorways to get it out into the main living space. At one point I was seriously thinking of getting out my saw and making kindling out of it just to end the pain, but finally it was in place in the dining room.

The heavy solid oak dining table was a wonderful, wonderful desk for me for many years but after I use it for staging my house, it is not going to go north with me.

Then, we made a Good Will run and went to Home Depot to buy what we need for the next few days. After returning home, I got to move some of my other furniture into my study, re-connect my computer and network once it was on the smaller desk, and roll up and remove the rug.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #5538
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm utterly and completely exhausted, with all the physical exertion involved with getting the house ready to list.
Chill baby. Since I know you don't drink red wine, my next best suggestion is for Frank to give you a foot massage
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #5539

Yup, foot massage, had one today while on vacation down in the keys.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #5540
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Chill baby. Since I know you don't drink red wine, my next best suggestion is for Frank to give you a foot massage
He's napping! Which is probably what I should be doing, too. We knocked ourselves out.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread