Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #5801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday...I finally pulled the boat out of the lake. But not before I opened her right up and cruised across a wave free lake. The colors of the trees were wonderful.
My FB (fave Bostonian) now knows how to pull a boat out and trailer it. He is not at all comfy with driving with the boat in tow, but we can certainly fix that next year.

Today...a box of Kleenex is a girl's best friend. I caught a head cold.
'Tis the season for me to be a'sneezin.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #5802
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The instructions even carefully specified installing it with the foil side down and the white side up.
When you showed me the shed, I noticed that that's how you had it installed. I remember wondering whether in your situation: wanting to keep the heat out instead of keeping it in, you'd want the foil side up (toward the outside).

I didn't say anything because

1. I don't know what I'm talking about

and

2. You already had it installed.

But now that you're starting over, you can look into that.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #5803
Moderator Emeritus

Last month I was cleaning out a file drawer and ran across my book list. (It was actually the paper version of what I now do electronically, but I'd never transferred it over.) To my surprise I found a good dozen books that I hadn't read yet, so off to the library website I went to file the requests.

So yesterday I spent most of the day reading Norm Friedman's "The Fifty Year War" about the Cold War. I actually started reading this 500-page doorstop nearly three weeks ago but I was running out of time, so I whammo'ed the final 250 pages. It covered from WWII through the official breakup of the Soviet Union.

He wrote it in 2000 using declassified (and decrypted/translated) documents from not only U.S., British, French, German, and Italian records but also Soviets, East German, PRC, Warsaw Pact, and North Vietnamese sources. The retrospective "truth" revealed from those archives is amazing.

I've lost all respect for Jack Kennedy, but I feel a lot better about Vietnam.

Next up: Ned Beach's "Salt and Steel" biography.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #5804
Gone but not forgotten

Today I am stuck in the house with the world's slowest carpet installer . He keeps answering his cell phone and going outside to handle business . Luckily our remodel is in the end stages now and the finish line is in sight .
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #5805
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Slow day "w*orking" from home, the off to and bacf from dr. apt. I am disgruntled with the hurry up and wait mentality regarding this medication I am taking. Just move on to other treatment options already! Will head back in 3 weeks for bigger badder treatments then. Spent quite a bit of day surfing online and doing laundry. 2:37 pm and I am ready for a nap! Now if those work e-mails would just stop, I'd be all set!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #5806
Give me a forum ...

Still nursing that cold...
I had very minor chills and body aches yesterday afternoon. Yay aspirin.
I slept upright in my recliner for the last 2 nights so I could get some rest, i.e. minimize coughing caused by extreme nasal fluid dripping down my throat.
I'm hoping the worst has passed. A flu shot is definitely in my future once I recover from this mess.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #5807
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Rainy here today after splendid sunshine yesterday. Getting caught up on my computer stuff. If it was always sunny, you would seldom hear from me!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #5808
Give me a forum ...

Finally have some appetite. So I made myself a favorite single woman's dinner - fresh Italian bread covered with grated cheddar cheese and......

drum roooooolllllllll.....

BACON

The dinner plate is one of the Anchor Hocking Ruby Red glassware items I recently bought via eBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bacondinner.jpg (43.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #5809
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I am stuck in the house with the world's slowest carpet installer . He keeps answering his cell phone and going outside to handle business . Luckily our remodel is in the end stages now and the finish line is in sight .
Our carpet guy was here for seven hours and all he did was carpet thirteen stairs no rip out old carpet just lay the new pad & carpet . He's coming back tomorrow to do the rest . I need Valium !
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #5810
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Our carpet guy was here for seven hours and all he did was carpet thirteen stairs no rip out old carpet just lay the new pad & carpet . He's coming back tomorrow to do the rest . I need Valium !
I hear you loud and clear. I've always made it a habit to not watch a contractor and the clock at the same time.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #5811
Give me a forum ...

Fireup, I'm sorry about your boo boo...and Freebird, I'm sorry you're feelin' poopy....

A little while ago I ate some meatloaf that has been in the freezer for a while......buruphhhhhh.....
Old 10-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #5812
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Fireup, I'm sorry about your boo boo...and Freebird, I'm sorry you're feelin' poopy....

A little while ago I ate some meatloaf that has been in the freezer for a while......buruphhhhhh.....
Thanks. Today is much better. I'm only blowing my nose every 15 minutes vs every 5. I ran out of Kleenex so I resorted to using a roll of TP set inside the empty Kleenex box.
Wow, talk about 72 hours from h*ll. I lost 3 lbs because all I could tolerate in my stomach was hot tea and chicken broth with egg noodles. Everything else just didn't appeal to me.
I have enough energy today to finish up a living room wall with a 2nd coat. Trying to get this room done before it gets too cold to keep the windows open to ventilate the paint smell.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #5813
Give me a forum ...

If you're still congested/runny tonight, I'd recommend some nasal spray (like 4-way). It's one of medicine's miracles. It lets you target the current symptom.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #5814
Full time employment: Posting here.

Took my truck to be serviced at the dealer, had a coupon, lol. Usually go to Jiffy Lube. Surprisingly, in and out in less than an hour.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #5815
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Made several pots of soup.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #5816
Moderator Emeritus

Applied for Penfed's 3.625% fixed-rate 30-year mortgage, admittedly costing 2.375 points + closing costs.

Now I'll be printing out and copying documentation for the rest of the day...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #5817
Moderator Emeritus

Leaf-peeping until today's mini-nor'easter. So, today we're relaxing in Kennebunkport. George and Barb weren't home, so we parked at a nearby hotel. Lobstah and steak tonight!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #5818
Give me a forum ...

I miss good-old lobster. We got a lobster tail at a Sizzler recently. It looked good and had the right texture, but zero taste.

I think our Dungeness crabs may taste better than lobster, but it's been so long since I had real lobster, that I can't be sure.

As a teenager I worked on a clam boat off Connecticut, and lobsters would occasionally come up in the dredge. One day we got 14. They were great!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #5819
Full time employment: Posting here.

My DH and DD are in Massachusettsriright now - driving up to Portland and Sebago Lakes area tomorrow. Hope they get some lobstah!

My FIL lives in Massachusetts. Husband would love to retire up there. He plans to retire in June 2011. I told him to find a place we can afford and I'll be willing.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #5820
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think our Dungeness crabs may taste better than lobster, but it's been so long since I had real lobster, that I can't be sure.
Though I like lobsters, I don't think you are wrong in saying Dungeness crab is better. Dungeness is the best, and rules over blue crab, stone crab, and particularly snow crab or Alaskan crab, period.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Closed Thread