Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #5821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Though I like lobsters, I don't think you are wrong in saying Dungeness crab is better. Dungeness is the best, and rules over blue crab, stone crab, and particularly snow crab or Alaskan crab, period.
+1 Definitely Dungeness is the best!

I've had lobster only a few times and really wasn't impressed. Crawfish is much more to my liking although lots of work to eat. Growing up we often got crawfish and cooked them outside over an open fire in a pot with pickling spice and rocksalt. Our standing joke was you could starve to death eating them cause it took so long for so little of the delectable crawfish tails.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #5822
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Leaf-peeping until today's mini-nor'easter. So, today we're relaxing in Kennebunkport. George and Barb weren't home, so we parked at a nearby hotel. Lobstah and steak tonight!
We were there last year at this time . We stayed in Boston but took a day trip to Kennebunkport . We had a great time but it was bitter cold in fact it snowed .
Old 10-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #5823
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In our last RV trip, driving down from Washington across the Astoria-Megler Bridge into Oregon, we saw a Costco, so pulled in to get a gas fill-up. Then, we wandered into the store to see if it was any different than the ones in our state. Saw Dungeness crab for $4.99/lb, so bought a big one, paying something like $14. Earlier in the week, we paid $7.99/lb in Port Townsend at a fish monger!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #5824
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Leaf-peeping until today's mini-nor'easter. So, today we're relaxing in Kennebunkport. George and Barb weren't home, so we parked at a nearby hotel.
If they weren't home, I would have parked my RV on their driveway.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #5825
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday was a pretty simple day, but a typical ER one for me. Got up around 6:30am, fed the mutt and had breakfast. Took the dog on his morning walk(1.5 miles) and dropped him off at mom's house. Then played golf from 10:00-1:00. Played pretty good too, shot a 71. Had a med with my buddies and then did some grocery shopping for mom. Picked up the mutt, headed home and took a short nap. Late afternoon, took the mutt on a hike by the reservoir and picked up a catfish plate for myself and mom on the way back. Then just a nice relaxing evening at home.

Funny how you can lay out what you did for a day and reads like a nothing day. But it was a beautiful fall day that I enjoyed to the max and filled my whole day. Life is good, even the simple ones. Today......about to go on our morning walk. Going to grill up some burgers for lunch and get ready for college football. Might even have a med or two.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #5826
Give me a forum ...

DH met a biker buddy for breakfast this morning. While they were there, they met this fellow.

Roy is 87 years old and was a B17 captain in WWII, flying in Europe and delivering what the B17 guys called "H.E. Goodwill" (high explosive) to "der fuhrer". He and his crew flew 35 consecutive missions with no deaths or injuries.

He got married a few months before he went into the service. He and his bride had eight children. Unfortunately Roy lost his wife a couple of years ago. They were just short of their 65th anniversary.

I give him and everyone in the armed forces…past, present and future a salute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02159.jpg (456.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #5827
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Roy is 87 years old and was a B17 captain in WWII...
I always enjoy seeing those types of ballcaps.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #5828
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I always enjoy seeing those types of ballcaps.
Unfortunately, not everyone thinks that way... or should I say "sadly."

Dallas restaurant ousts World War II vets over dress code
Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #5829

Booked our hotel in South Beach for the night before we go on our cruise out of Miami. So excited about our vacation!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 10-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #5830
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I revelled in the day! Beautiful, sunny fall weather in the 60's ,and I am finished with company for the year...or so I hope. From July to this past Tuesday I have had visitors every month. I love seeing family and friends, but my sister and brother-in-law for two weeks in July just about did me in. Tomorrow I go into Pittsburgh for "The Barber of Seville". I will have something new to crab about as the Steelers play the Browns at home so I will hit lots of traffic. Hopefully people will go in early to tailgate. And I do have a reserved parking spot via the Opera.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #5831
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse suddenly realized that this was the last weekend for the local "Parade of Homes" open houses, so we checked out a couple of Ewa Beach's newest & finest. Their slogan this year: "It's a great time to buy!" Hold onto your wallets until I also finish checking out the tsunami inundation maps. Eh, it should be OK. Still plenty houses between there and the beach.

The design/marketing is interesting. Every home was two stories. As long as you're going vertical (on a 3000 sq ft lot) then you might as well include nine-foot ceilings to take your eyes off the 10'x12' bedroom dimensions. One model had a split two-car garage-- literally one single-car garage on one corner of the house and another single-car garage on another corner. I couldn't believe that one designer put wallpaper in a bathroom. Another designer had classic surfing photos hanging in just about every room of the house, and their cumulative retail value was probably $5000. Unfortunately they were all photos of California surfing, not local.

The homes would have considerably cut down my commute to south shore surfing, but the North Shore commute would have grown considerably longer. The location is Hawaii's most affordable, for whatever that's worth, but the Ewa plains are so stinkin' hot that every home had split A/C. We also didn't see the value in any of their other features.

Once again these open houses re-motivated us to do more of our own home-improvement projects. (We had a major epiphany on an annoying rehab problem in our rental home, too.) We ended the day with dinner at Thai Kitchen and have lovely leftovers for Sunday lunch. Great date night.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #5832

I made a major mistake.

On impulse, I bought a magazine about digital photography to read at work. (Things are slow on the weekends.) Having not been involved with photography for many years and now taking it up again, there is all this neat new stuff that I didn't know I wanted because I didn't know it existed.

I have to keep telling myself that the best photography originates behind the lens. But all those neat new toys/tools/software!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #5833
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I have to keep telling myself that the best photography originates behind the lens. But all those neat new toys/tools/software!
Don't let the razzle, dazzle get to you... it still starts and ends behind the camera. The photographer may do it faster and easier but the skill, and thus the great image, starts in the head not from inside the box.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #5834
Moderator Emeritus

Went to annual Punkin Chuckin festival in Morton, Il. Pumpkins being tossed by humans, catapults, and giant air guns. Toss distances ranged from -50' to over 4000' - even with a stiff headwind. Unbelievably good time

Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #5835
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went to annual Punkin Chuckin festival in Morton, Il.
This is one of the items on my bucket list.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #5836
Give me a forum ...

DW and I split the early-bird prime rib dinner at a local fancy restaurant.

There was a split-plate charge of $6, and I kicked myself because right after ordering I realized that the Caesar salad only cost $7. That is, we could have ordered separate dinners just like normal people, and it would have only cost $1 more.

But there was plenty of food anyway even without bread, potatoes or dessert.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #5837
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Had dinner at a local restaurant, Bistro Chez Michelle, with other retirees. Had not seen some of them in many years. Great time and the food was wonderful.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #5838
Give me a forum ...

I'm tryin' out a new drink. It's gin and lime on the rocks...with peppermint candy floating about. I'mah puckerin', but feelin' groovy and my breath is minty.....
Old 10-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #5839
Give me a forum ...

Hard to appreciate from far away.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #5840

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm tryin' out a new drink. It's gin and lime on the rocks...with peppermint candy floating about. I'mah puckerin', but feelin' groovy and my breath is minty.....
Straight gin, the only mixers are lime and peppermint candies? You are hard core bbbamI.

Yeah, that could lead to a pretty crazy night!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Closed Thread