what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH met a biker buddy for breakfast this morning. While they were there, they met this fellow.

Roy is 87 years old and was a B17 captain in WWII, flying in Europe and delivering what the B17 guys called "H.E. Goodwill" (high explosive) to "der fuhrer". He and his crew flew 35 consecutive missions with no deaths or injuries.

He got married a few months before he went into the service. He and his bride had eight children. Unfortunately Roy lost his wife a couple of years ago. They were just short of their 65th anniversary.

I give him and everyone in the armed forces…past, present and future a salute. :flowers:

Attachments

• DSC02159.jpg
    DSC02159.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 12
Booked our hotel in South Beach for the night before we go on our cruise out of Miami. So excited about our vacation!

I revelled in the day! Beautiful, sunny fall weather in the 60's ,and I am finished with company for the year...or so I hope. From July to this past Tuesday I have had visitors every month. I love seeing family and friends, but my sister and brother-in-law for two weeks in July just about did me in. Tomorrow I go into Pittsburgh for "The Barber of Seville". I will have something new to crab about as the Steelers play the Browns at home so I will hit lots of traffic. Hopefully people will go in early to tailgate. And I do have a reserved parking spot via the Opera.

Spouse suddenly realized that this was the last weekend for the local "Parade of Homes" open houses, so we checked out a couple of Ewa Beach's newest & finest. Their slogan this year: "It's a great time to buy!" Hold onto your wallets until I also finish checking out the tsunami inundation maps. Eh, it should be OK. Still plenty houses between there and the beach.

The design/marketing is interesting. Every home was two stories. As long as you're going vertical (on a 3000 sq ft lot) then you might as well include nine-foot ceilings to take your eyes off the 10'x12' bedroom dimensions. One model had a split two-car garage-- literally one single-car garage on one corner of the house and another single-car garage on another corner. I couldn't believe that one designer put wallpaper in a bathroom. Another designer had classic surfing photos hanging in just about every room of the house, and their cumulative retail value was probably $5000. Unfortunately they were all photos of California surfing, not local.

The homes would have considerably cut down my commute to south shore surfing, but the North Shore commute would have grown considerably longer. The location is Hawaii's most affordable, for whatever that's worth, but the Ewa plains are so stinkin' hot that every home had split A/C. We also didn't see the value in any of their other features.

Once again these open houses re-motivated us to do more of our own home-improvement projects. (We had a major epiphany on an annoying rehab problem in our rental home, too.) We ended the day with dinner at Thai Kitchen and have lovely leftovers for Sunday lunch. Great date night.

I made a major mistake.

On impulse, I bought a magazine about digital photography to read at work. (Things are slow on the weekends.) Having not been involved with photography for many years and now taking it up again, there is all this neat new stuff that I didn't know I wanted because I didn't know it existed.

I have to keep telling myself that the best photography originates behind the lens. But all those neat new toys/tools/software!

I have to keep telling myself that the best photography originates behind the lens. But all those neat new toys/tools/software!

Don't let the razzle, dazzle get to you... it still starts and ends behind the camera. The photographer may do it faster and easier but the skill, and thus the great image, starts in the head not from inside the box.

Went to annual Punkin Chuckin festival in Morton, Il. Pumpkins being tossed by humans, catapults, and giant air guns. Toss distances ranged from -50' to over 4000' - even with a stiff headwind. Unbelievably good time

chuckin.jpg

DW and I split the early-bird prime rib dinner at a local fancy restaurant.

There was a split-plate charge of $6, and I kicked myself because right after ordering I realized that the Caesar salad only cost $7. That is, we could have ordered separate dinners just like normal people, and it would have only cost $1 more.

But there was plenty of food anyway even without bread, potatoes or dessert.

Had dinner at a local restaurant, Bistro Chez Michelle, with other retirees. Had not seen some of them in many years. Great time and the food was wonderful.

I'm tryin' out a new drink. It's gin and lime on the rocks...with peppermint candy floating about. I'mah puckerin', but feelin' groovy and my breath is minty.....:D

:whistle: Hard to appreciate from far away.

I'm tryin' out a new drink. It's gin and lime on the rocks...with peppermint candy floating about. I'mah puckerin', but feelin' groovy and my breath is minty.....:D

Straight gin, the only mixers are lime and peppermint candies? You are hard core bbbamI. ;)

Yeah, that could lead to a pretty crazy night! :ROFLMAO:

Straight gin, the only mixers are lime and peppermint candies? You are hard core bbbamI. ;)

Yeah, that could lead to a pretty crazy night! :ROFLMAO:
Yeppers...that's me... :D

Hmmm...think I might have another one... However, my cheeks are still numb from the first one. :blush:

Bought an old TI-55 programmable calculator at the Goodwill for $3. (It is vintage 1977. I had one in college).
I loved mine, but it turned out to be soluble in many of my organic chemistry lab experiments. Methylene chloride in particular.

Spouse and I still have our Midshipman Store TI-55IIIs...

If you're still congested/runny tonight, I'd recommend some nasal spray (like 4-way). It's one of medicine's miracles. It lets you target the current symptom.
I've been drinking a lot of hot tea with honey. I inhale the steam and that seems to help.
Nasal spray irritates my nose. I must have a sensitivity to the ingredients.

Took the Trailblazer in for an oil and transmission fluid change. Always fun to spend money on maintenance items.:( But, did do something fun this afternoon that didn't cost any money. Went on a hike with the mutt. And a beautiful afternoon it was.:)

Discovered a nasty gas leak on my car over the weekend. Took it to the local garage this morning and got a call a couple of hours later. It was a small crack in the inlet to the fuel pump. Only problem is to fix it required (supposedly) a new pump. Major bucks.

I'd normally ask for a second opinion but I really don't have the time. This is what we tow behind the motor home and we're only two days from launch on our FL trip to see the shuttle - assuming it goes off on schedule: NASA says fuel leak shouldn't delay Discovery shuttle launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom