Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)
Old 08-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
... and I thought the whole idea of retirement was to avoid this sort of high pressure rat race!

(Put dishes in diswasher, read paper and magazines, checked on-line forums, a little financial housekeeping, had lunch, etc...)
Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
... and I thought the whole idea of retirement was to avoid this sort of high pressure rat race!

(Put dishes in diswasher, read paper and magazines, checked on-line forums, a little financial housekeeping, had lunch, etc...)
Ran to the store, changed sheets towels rugs, watered plants, fed critters...
Old 08-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
what did you do today?
I can really relate to that cartoon! But today I was actually busier than normal.

I had a 9am appointment with the Doc....just routine stuff.....drew a blood sample, took my pulse and BP (130/62).....I got there about 20 minutes early and was on my way out the door at 9:05am. Then I went to the coffee shop, then gassed up the car. Went home and sat under the shade tree. Then I went to the hardware store, and then stopped & chatted with some guys I used to work with. That shot the morning, so I went home and ate lunch.

After lunch I sat under the shade tree. Pulled a couple of weeds and sprayed a few others. Sat under the shade tree. Planted a couple of daylillies. Sat under the shade tree. Picked some tomatoes. Sat under the shade tree. Made a little makeshift fence to tidy up my goldenrod bed. Sat under the shade tree. Watered some container plants. Sat under the shade tree.

Usually I spend a bit more time sitting under the shade tree, and less time with 'busy work'.....like I did all weekend!!! And tomorrow I'm scheduled to sit under the shade tree all day....uninterrupted except for lunch and potty breaks!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Administrator

Todays fun...

Made coffee
Contemplated khans avatar
Thought about cutting grass
Put strap button on guitar
Laid in hammock, looking at lush grass and read a book.
The next big effort involves limes and a tall glass
Old 08-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took the mutt to the vet, went to the grocery story, farted around on the net, took a nap.......that's about it. Rainy day so good excuse to put off mowing the grass.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Drank coffee and wrote some notes to you folks. Took my son to his first day of preschool and hung out there for a few hours. Took him to the park and made four humongous sand castles that required about six gallons of water drawn from a water fountain that only produces about a quart every 10 minutes. Took him out for hawaiian barbecue and sushi. Met his momma at the gym. Came home and watched a dvd movie (live free or die hard!) with momma while he had a nap. Repotted 5 strawberry plants and changed the water in the pool. Put out the weeks trash. Baked and frosted four cakes for a cross family birthday party tomorrow. Made an enormous amount of potato salad and added some of the boiled taters to the homemade clam chowder I cobbled together last night.

Post note we'll be having a nice vegetarian dinner, a couple of cocktails while Gabe runs rampant through the back yard for a couple of hours. A little tv time and at least 9 hours of sleeping before going to the in-laws tomorrow.

But if you caught me not paying attention I'd have said "Ran around with Gabe all day and not very many productive things done..."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Contemplated khans avatar
Way better than the motel room comments ever could aspire to being.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Way better than the motel room comments ever could aspire to being.
Don't dis the cavewoman.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #10

Well, after a leisurely breakfast and my back exercises, got dressed and walked the dogs a couple of miles then,
Fed & watered the chickens
fed & watered the geese
sat down with the goats for a while ZEN time! (wife fed and watered and milked them)
watered the fruit trees,
started the sprinkler system for the plum orchard and the fig orchard and the grapes
then took the goat trailer to get the tires ready for the trip to the county fair.
Ate lunch, took a wonderful nap.
Then got the trailer down to the goat barn so we could take some of the goats to the county fair. Got the goats in and then my wife drove to the county fair while I rode my motorcycle to help her unload the goats and get set up.
Rode back to the ranch the long way - country roads on a motorcycle are great! Got back to the ranch and started cleaning soap for tomorrows growers market.
checked on the market (yipee it's up)
A friend showed up and helped him pick a few bags of apples and peaches from our fruit trees (He lives in the next valley over and his fruit trees got zapped by an early frost). Discussed the state of the world. Agreed it sucks.
Got back in the house, opened a cool one and saw this post and though hum what have I done today? and here we are
Ain't ER wonderful!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I did some stock research this morning. Talked to a friend and my brother on the phone, walked up the street to a park and did some sunbathing, came home and fixed lunch and now I am planning to read more of my book about Putin.

Interesting people watching in the park. A very pretty young woman was lying on her towel in a bikini. Over time, at least 3 men positioned themselves for maximum ogling. I don't think I have ever seen anything quite so obvious before. I might have enjoyed some covert staring myself but didn't want to add to her stress.

It must be a little annoying to go out and try to get some sun and have major privacy issues come from that.

Ha
Old 08-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #12

Quote:
That's perfect and pretty much sums it up.

Today I did the treadmill and rode my bike. Then a little internet and some jigsaw puzzle. Changed the rear bulb in my old Taurus that was out. Read a little and ate dinner.

This was a little more that I had planned.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #13

Ate at PF Changs. Place has gone down hill. Went to Sloughhouse and got some corn and veggies. Came home and ran for a half hour. Now having a nice cheap riesling wondering if I should get up and turn on the Packers game on Espn. Hey that sounds like a plan.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Screwed around here and on another message board while listening to tunes. ( I regularly cheat on you guys.) Downloaded some stuff to my iPod. Worked in the garden pulling out what felt like tons of stuff. Washed the curtains from the family farm house which I am going out to work on again tomorrow. Talked to my sister about a car accident she was in. Talked to my brother. Talked to my spouse.

A lot of squat today.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 08-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Just in case you are missing working life...

1. awakened in terror at 4:18 AM with a "work nightmare" - - realized there was no sense in trying to sleep further.
2. got to work a few minutes before my usual 6 AM starting time
3. looked at my portfolio's daily values - - highlight of the day! woo-hoo! Tried to refine my projection for a starting ER balance in late 2009.
4. e-mailed Frank just to say "hi"
5. finished my work by 6:30 AM
6. tried to think of something to do to earn my pay for the next 9 hours
7. watched the rain out the window
8. watched the clock
9. signed out and drove home in the rain.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wasted time on this message board. Removed and disassembled the deck of my Sears riding mower to find out why one of the blades is out of whack. Wasted more time here while watching the Olympics. Went into town with DW to buy new mower parts and pickup the 3 grandsons from daycare. Wasted more time here. Called my newly-widowed SIL to see how she was doing. Currently wasting more time here and watching the Olympics...
Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Screwed around here and on another message board while listening to tunes. ( I regularly cheat on you guys.) Downloaded some stuff to my iPod. Worked in the garden pulling out what felt like tons of stuff. Washed the curtains from the family farm house which I am going out to work on again tomorrow. Talked to my sister about a car accident she was in. Talked to my brother. Talked to my spouse.

A lot of squat today.
Internet infidelity?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #18

After breakfast went to Dr's appointment
Picked up a few items at the grocery store on the way home.
Did a load of laundry.
Changed the bed sheets.
Ate lunch.
Did the crossword puzzle in the paper and read the paper.
Swam 2200 yards and soaked weary bones in the hot tub.
Killed an hour on-line.
Ate dinner and settled in to watch the Olympics.

Nice day, as usual.

Grumpy
Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

In case you were missing more working life....

lifted weights
stopped by McDonalds on the way to work
8:00 staff meeting where I stated I had too much work to do and left
9:30 meeting at a college to review new football / soccer field site
Site visit at an agriculture center to review landscaping needs
Stop at woodworking shop & bought spiral router bit and transtint dye
back to the office for lunch
reviewed I88 alignment thru Dekalb & Dupage Co's
reviewed City of Chicago zoning / sign ordinances
mailed some bills & checked email
went home & ate a pork chop & lettuce salad
cut the grass & took pics of the brown spots to show some experts
got on the internet
Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Drug my sorry butt out of bed at 6:30 a.m. Arrived at the police department at 8. Answered 20 phone calls, rolled prints, released an inmate, took complaints, yelled at 8 guys that were making too much noise...twice. Started training a new PSO. Checked out the forum. Left at noon.

Went to the grocery store. Came home and put everything away. Checked the forum out again. Did two loads of laundry, made the bed, fed the cats, brushed the cats. Another check on the forum. Took the trash out, got the mail, paid bills...and yeah checked the forum.

Made dinner, ate, cleaned the kitchen and again I'm checking the forum. Gonna watch a movie if I can keep my eyelids open.