Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #1981
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Cleaned, sanded & painted an old steamer trunk; at DW's request because it looked too "scruffy" as it was. Actually, it was a bit scruffy, since it'd been cross-country full of stuff several times.

Painted it with black spray-on Krylon, and it looks good. It's the kind with brass locks, hinges, edges & rivets. I used painters tape for everything except the rivets, which are so small they'd be a real PITA to tape individually. For those, I put a dab of Vaseline on each one, then just rubbed it off after the paint dried; worked well. DW is happy. . As they say: HWHL
How about pictures?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #1982
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Went to church in the morning. Then broke out the roadster and took a spin with the young wife. We went to brunch at a little place a few towns over on the banks of the Housatonic River We sat outside under a cloudless cerulean sky, watching the sun shine on a beautiful stretch of the river, with the folded green hills on the far side. The food was excellent, and we shared a nice bottle of white burgundy wine. I couldn't ask for a better day than this.
So who was the designated driver?
Old 09-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
How about pictures?
As requested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (492.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
As requested.
Not a bad day's work at all!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #1985

Put up a Yagi antenna and cellular booster at the cottage. Went from 'No Service' to 5 bars. Was impressed. I did it while listening to 'Being Mortal' by Atul Guwande recounting the story of Harry R. Truman who fell off his roof while shoveling snow and broke his leg at age 80. He survived that to perish when Mt St. Helens erupted a few years later.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #1986
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
So who was the designated driver?
And why don't they call them 'desiccated drivers'?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 09-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #1987
Give me a forum ...

Today was a declutter day. For some reason I woke up with a clear vision of how to get more organized. We have a cupboard under the stairs like in Harry Potter except ours isn't a bedroom - it was more like a small appliance graveyard. So I decided just to get rid of almost everything in there. DH was happy to see it all go. We have a car packed up and tomorrow we're going to donate everything to Goodwill and the recycling center.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #1988

I'll spend the rest of the day getting the house back in order. Last Wednesday, my parents called and said they were coming for a visit. That necessitated us coming home from our lake house a little earlier than planned. Then the folks stayed until this morning, so because I was trying to entertain them I didn't do anything I had sorta planned to do over the last four days. They left this morning, and DH just left for a contracting gig for ten days. Whew! Peace and quiet for me!

During their visit, I kept reminding myself that I should appreciate the time with my folks since it may not be long until they are gone. (Hopeful at least ten years, but one never knows). It just can be trying, because dad does not want to have a conversation with someone; he wants to talk AT someone. He is always right, and let's not allow the facts to get in the way of his opinion.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #1989
Administrator

We went to see "The Magnificent Seven" yesterday in the local cinema. DW enjoyed it more than I did, which is unusual for a film with so much violence. I thought it was more Quentin Tarantino / Clint Eastwood than Seven Samurai. Nonetheless, an enjoyable afternoon.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #1990

Funny story I forgot to mention about my visit to the Air Force Museum last week:

A pleasant older woman was hanging around Truman's presidential aircraft, and just seemed fascinated with it. A bit of conversation revealed that she had been a stewardess on it when it was active (late 40s/early 50s).

Asked how she got the job, she said the pilot was her next door neighbor and asked if she'd be interested. She was, and loved doing it. But they had to fire her when (because) she got married. How times have changed!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #1991
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today we had a maid service come to our home for a "deep clean". It was pricey (about 50% higher than quoted, but it was a 4 person crew for 2.5 hours instead of the expected 3 person for 1.5 hours), but well worth it. I am calling in the morning to set them up on a regular every other week schedule (this is a fixed price). I love how the house looks and smells. What was I waiting for all these years?
Old 09-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #1992
Recycles dryer sheets

Got a flu shot, then worked 5 hours at the local food bank's warehouse. Yeah, my arm is a little tender.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
Today we had a maid service come to our home for a "deep clean". It was pricey (about 50% higher than quoted, but it was a 4 person crew for 2.5 hours instead of the expected 3 person for 1.5 hours), but well worth it. I am calling in the morning to set them up on a regular every other week schedule (this is a fixed price). I love how the house looks and smells. What was I waiting for all these years?
Nothing better than a clean house....especially when someone else cleans it!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #1994
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent the day buying a new-to-us Toyota Forerunner. DH's 13 year old car blew the engine last week. We picked out the Forerunner Saturday and still spent almost 5 hours at the dealer today doing paperwork and waiting around. I'm glad that is done and we are both happy
Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #1995
Give me a forum ...

Went to the sushi bar for lunch, bought a Halloween present for the girlfriend, got the car washed and hit the grocery store for tonight's supper - Benihana teppan steak with veggies and chicken fried rice.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #1996
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to the local hospital for preop labs. Getting my second knee replacement in a few weeks. Mowed 3/4 of the yard, will finish tomorrow. Got the first coat of paint on a desk and bookcase for my mother, she is moving into a retirement apartment soon.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #1997
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We did this when we got back from FL this spring. It was 5 people for all day (big house), and included window washing. However, we weren't all that impressed with the job. They cleaned a lot of stuff, but mostly what we clean ourselves. Not things like sliding door tracks and above the window transoms and such. And the chemicals they used were so overwhelming smelling we could barely stay in the house for the next couple of days. So while it was probably better then driving back 20 hours and then having to do the work, it wasn't worth the money in our opinions. Then again, we live in the boonies and it can be hard to find people to do a competent job in a lot of categories.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:16 AM   #1998

Signed up for a workshop on writing short stories in November. I deliberately stopped writing short stories a couple of years ago because each time I did one, it took a month or two out of writing my novel. Now that the novel is done, maybe it's time to go back to the shorter forms and try and get something published.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:45 AM   #1999
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to an orchard in Henderson, NC. The orchard has Macoun apples and they sell them for the same price as Macintosh. Usually they get a $1 premium per small bag (1/2 peck) for the Macouns in New England and upstate New York.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:33 AM   #2000
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
With everything you have going on in your life right now, this is a very positive thing for you and your spouse. One less thing to take up your time.
Closed Thread