Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #2041
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've thought about it but there have been some other noticeable declines in abilities, such as balance, that make me think that getting another motorcycle might not be a wise decision. I know some guys ride into their 80's but I'm not gonna push my luck that hard. It was fun while I had it, and I still have the memories, but like retirement, "When it's time to hang it up, you'll know".

And that's how I feel about flying. For me anyway. My wife has hinted about woodworking as well. But hey - a guy can only go so far...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #2042
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Got home from our trip yesterday, but still tired. I guess if you are not acclimated to living at 7000 feet, it takes a lot out of you. Also so does getting older
Anyhow, I did finish the little story of my flight. I recently turned 78, and am still flying.
That flight sounds like a real experience. A friend of mine from college has a business where they update and convert old military planes for personal use, he is located at Stead Airfield in Reno; wonder if his company had anything to do with that plane you flew?

I live at similar altitude 7100 ft elevation, just south from Santa Fe. Doing a lot of physical work does make a difference vs sea level or near that. You get acclimated to it, but it always has an effect when you try do more strenuous stuff.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #2043
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I've thought about it but there have been some other noticeable declines in abilities, such as balance, that make me think that getting another motorcycle might not be a wise decision. I know some guys ride into their 80's but I'm not gonna push my luck that hard. It was fun while I had it, and I still have the memories, but like retirement, "When it's time to hang it up, you'll know".
I understand. For me, before I give it up I will go tike for a while but I hope hat won't be for some time.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #2044
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I understand. For me, before I give it up I will go tike for a while but I hope hat won't be for some time.
I'd consider something like the Can Am Spider if you're considering going towards a trike. They are so stable you'd have to be trying really hard to tip it. We just had bike week out here at Ocean City MD a couple of weeks ago, and I saw more than one standard trike lying on it's side. According to some of the riders I've spoken with they are nearly as unstable as a bike when riding, but much easier to deal with sitting still.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #2045
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
And that's how I feel about flying. For me anyway. My wife has hinted about woodworking as well. But hey - a guy can only go so far...
We finally took my grandfather's woodworking tools away after he sawed off the tip of a second finger. It's probably still down in the basement of that house somewhere.

Sometimes when it's time, you don't know.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #2046
Give me a forum ...

My Dad knew when it was time to give up driving. His reaction time was slow, he almost knocked down a little girl, and he knew it.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #2047
Recycles dryer sheets

Woke up and got the twins up for school. Reviewed son's college essay first draft and wrote some feedback - it was pretty good though. Walked dog 4 miles in the woods behind the house. Approved the main pic and description for our house that is going on the market tomorrow. We won't move until the kids graduate in June, but testing the waters during fall foliage season - maybe will get a bite from someone willing to wait.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #2048
Recycles dryer sheets

Rode 20 miles on our bikes today on the Sleeping Bear Heritage trail up near Glen Arbor, MI. Also did some hiking, shopping, brew pub stopping and went out for a great dinner all to celebrate our 36th yr anniversary. Great couple of days!
Old 10-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #2049

Just got in from leveling the yard on the east side. About 4 hours of swinging a pick, shoveling dirt into a wheelbarrow, moving the dirt around to the front yard, and raking everything level. It was a good morning for such work - in the low 50s. The wind kicked up so I will wait until another day to move dirt around as needed in the front yard.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #2050

Drove to the top of the world(Lobo Overlook). At 11700' it was good to have the pit toilets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1475704269384.jpg (55.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #2051
Give me a forum ...

Just finished first day (of three) judging beers at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. There are 264 of us judges here this year, and we'll judge over 7,300 beers by Friday afternoon. The festival opens to the public Thursday evening, and the awards will be announced Saturday.

It's an amazing logistical challenge, and I'm always impressed at the folks who run it. I've been doing this for 15 years now and the explosive growth in entries (as well as the number of breweries that enter) has been jaw dropping.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #2052

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just finished first day (of three) judging beers at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. There are 264 of us judges here this year, and we'll judge over 7,300 beers by Friday afternoon.
Have plenty of aspirin on hand. That's gonna be one heck of a hangover....
Old 10-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #2053
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have plenty of aspirin on hand. That's gonna be one heck of a hangover....
You'd be surprised. I judged 56 beers today and consumed less than 20 ounces total. With enough experience you only need a tiny taste to tell you all about the beer.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #2054

Quote:
You'd be surprised. I judged 56 beers today and consumed less than 20 ounces total. With enough experience you only need a tiny taste to tell you all about the beer.
I figured it was more akin to a wine tasting than a beer fest but I couldn't resist the post.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #2055

Got up on the roof and blew out the rain gutters. Then I removed one rotor and 6 antennas, 2 directv, 1 FM, 1 scanner and 2 communications. Adding a couple of omni directional FM antennas on short masts.

Didn't want the winter storms blowing a big antenna into 16 grand worth of solar panels -
Old 10-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #2056
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
56 in one day is a lot of judging! How many flights? But sounds like you (out of necessity!) keep things moving. I've been a steward at some comps where the judges can take forever to decide on their top three in a flight - like everyone else has taken their lunch break, and they are still debating, or still sitting there with 5 unopened bottles. Get on with it!

Less than 1/2 oz each sample, yes that must take some practice, I always feel like I need a good mouthful to get the full experience. Can feel it if you get the strong ales or barley wines...

-ERD50
Old 10-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #2057
Give me a forum ...

All the judges here are seasoned professionals, so we can get the job done quickly. Since there are so many entries, and some categories are enormous (think IPAs), there are multiple rounds for all categories. This morning I did all three rounds for one category (multiple tables all feeding into the later rounds), so I actually tasted some of those entries more than once. This afternoon I did the first round for two other categories. It's complicated but it works well.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #2058
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pilots & Paws

We flew a P & P mission today for 3 dogs. A Dachshund and Jack Russel Terrier from a local shelter and a Chihuahua from Long Beach. We flew them to Paso Robles to meet another pilot who took them up to the Bay Area.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #2059

After a week of itching and scratching, realized that when I launched my new inflatable kayak at the lake shoreline, I was bitten not only by fire ants (immediate pain) but by chiggers (no immediate pain, but increasing itching for days or weeks). Hydrocortisone cream helps a bit but still very annoying.

Worse, I'm going to a wedding Saturday afternoon and realized that my ankles are not presentable in this condition, so I'll have to wear (perish the thought) pantyhose! I've managed to avoid wearing them except in the dead of winter for several years. One of the many benefits of ER.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #2060
Give me a forum ...

Man, I get unhappy when I have to wear shoes. I've got significant flip-flop tan lines on my feet.