Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #2081
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Completed 15 years since ER day, a nice anniversary.

What makes it even better is that I'm better off financially today than I was back then. Life is good.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #2082
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Completed 15 years since ER day, a nice anniversary.

What makes it even better is that I'm better off financially today than I was back then. Life is good.
Very nice. Congratulations on 15 great years.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just finished first day (of three) judging beers at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. There are 264 of us judges here this year, and we'll judge over 7,300 beers by Friday afternoon. The festival opens to the public Thursday evening, and the awards will be announced Saturday.

It's an amazing logistical challenge, and I'm always impressed at the folks who run it. I've been doing this for 15 years now and the explosive growth in entries (as well as the number of breweries that enter) has been jaw dropping.
We have a friend who owns a couple beer oriented bars in Philly (Grey Lodge and Hop Angel) - he's been in Denver this weekend seeing what he wants to order for his bar. His facebook posts have been great... Apparently it was a very well run event.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #2084

I have an M1A, great rifle, lot's of fun!

Today I finished up my plate amplifier project, tossed the DTV dish inna trash after sawing some slots and folding it in half, bought Lucy a new sack of food and ordered up a lobster roll kit.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #2085

Some days are better than others. Went down to Pueblo to see a very good friend this weekend. He has early-onset Alzheimer's. His brother had passed away late last week. We went to a restaurant for breakfast and he told me he didn't think he had been in it before. We go there all the time, but didn't start going there until after his Alzheimer's was well entrenched. His wife takes good care of him. My excuse for being down there was to watch football and work on a tractor we both own. I was really down there to stay with him while his wife went up to Colorado Springs with her sister for a Dr. appt. and to do some shopping and relaxing. Its sad to watch.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #2086
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I just washed the car and did the steel wool and Rainex trick on the windshield.
That is the HANDIEST trick and I discovered that it works on house windows too - at least on mine. They get covered with pollen that does not come off easily with windex. I didn't do the Rainex part, just the steel wool, but it worked perfectly and was much less messy than Windex or buckets of ammonia.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
That is the HANDIEST trick and I discovered that it works on house windows too - at least on mine. They get covered with pollen that does not come off easily with windex. I didn't do the Rainex part, just the steel wool, but it worked perfectly and was much less messy than Windex or buckets of ammonia.
S.O.S. or the old Brillo pads?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #2088

I am proud of myself. I managed to re-enroll myself and my kids in covered CA AND get my husband's non renewal. (He goes on Medicare 1/1/2017)

To make life better - with him not enrolling, and the kids and I all on the same plan, we are now able to get our premium tax credits up front in the form of a premium tax credit. Our new insurance premium (adjusted with the PTC) is $3/month for our HDHP w HSA plan. We've been paying the full premium in the past years because coveredCA didn't like families on 2 different plans if they were getting tax credits. It appears they may have fixed that this year... not sure.

Anyway - we're enrolled!!!! Now to get DH's medicare enrollment done (next Thursday we have an appt with an insurance broker) and we'll be good to go.

Woo hoo.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #2089
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
S.O.S. or the old Brillo pads?
According to the original YouTube video, steel wool at grade 0000 will not scratch glass. I am using that and it works great. You do it with dry steel wool so no mess, no rinse. I started with my car windshield and it did wonders on that.

There is an earlier post here somewhere with a link to the YouTube video.

I was thinking that you should probably be sure that your glass does not have any protective coating on it before attempting. Neither my windshield nor my cheap replacement windows do.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #2090

Quote:
According to the original YouTube video, steel wool at grade 0000 will not scratch glass. I am using that and it works great. You do it with dry steel wool so no mess, no rinse. I started with my car windshield and it did wonders on that.

There is an earlier post here somewhere with a link to the YouTube video.

I was thinking that you should probably be sure that your glass does not have any protective coating on it before attempting. Neither my windshield nor my cheap replacement windows do.
Thank you.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #2091
Give me a forum ...

Frustration today. Got a notice in the mailbox Saturday about a certified letter, with instructions to pick it up today.

Showed up at post office, where they couldn't find it after half an hour searching. They wanted to try tracing it on the computer, but the tracking number was scrawled illegibly on the notice and nobody could read it. They took my phone number and said they would call IF they found it.

Went home and after a lot of trial and error entering guesses at the tracking number, I finally got it. Letter came from some small town in Wisconsin I'd never heard of, and I'm completely clueless as to what it could be. I gave that info to the PO and we'll see if that helps them find it.

These things burn me up because if it hadn't been Certified, I would have had it Saturday.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #2092
Recycles dryer sheets

I took advantage of the beautiful weather today. The adjacent township has a very good network of paved walking/biking trails, and I spent a good part of the afternoon on them with my bicycle. It was a nice day to appreciate being ER'd...otherwise I would have been at w*rk!

I did have to educate a driver on the way home. Some just don't understand that a pedestrian or cyclist in the crosswalk has the right-of-way!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #2093
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw that the golf course I belong to had open tee times this morning so made one quickly and took off for the course. I never saw the single who was in front of me and never saw anyone behind me either. I hit 3-4 balls per shot almost every time. It was like having my own private golf course and the weather was beautiful too.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #2094
Recycles dryer sheets

Started making myself take one or two things home from my desk at work each day. 47 working days left. Looking forward to the longest Christmas vacation ever this year.....!
Old 10-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #2095
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I took advantage of the beautiful weather today. The adjacent township has a very good network of paved walking/biking trails, and I spent a good part of the afternoon on them with my bicycle. It was a nice day to appreciate being ER'd...otherwise I would have been at w*rk!

I did have to educate a driver on the way home. Some just don't understand that a pedestrian or cyclist in the crosswalk has the right-of-way!
That law depends on the state. In a lot of them, if you're in the crosswalk but not on the side of the road the vehicle is on, they don't have to stop or yield. No matter what, I wouldn't bet my brain pan on them following the rule.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #2096
Recycles dryer sheets

DD (3rd grader) has been on a school field trip the past few days/nights. DH and I have gone out for dinner the past 2 nights and slept in both mornings. While I miss DD like crazy, it sure has been nice to have no parenting responsibilities this week.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #2097
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Did some regularly scheduled maintenance on my Civic (oil change, transmission fluid, air filters, rotate tires, etc.). 232k miles and still going strong. I'm hoping to hit 300k about 2-1/2 years from now.

Have ever replace the PCV and timing belt. Lots of owners forget about doing the PCV?
Old 10-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #2098
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Clay bar from doing detail work also works great on windows.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #2099

Went for my morning two-mile walk, then took a nap.

Made up an 8-quart crock pot of beef stew and will put that cooking at about 7 or 8 tonight. Beef stew for breakfast tomorrow!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #2100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I was really down there to stay with him while his wife went up to Colorado Springs with her sister for a Dr. appt. and to do some shopping and relaxing. Its sad to watch.
You are a good friend.