Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today I did my taxes using Tax act and for the first time I missed the old paper way where you could actually see and do the math .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 02:58 PM   #222
Full time employment: Posting here.

Italian herb artisan bread rising. Projecting homemade vegetable soup in the electric pressure cooker, but sometimes my projections are off ...

Old 01-31-2016, 03:35 PM   #223

Kitty-sitting a friend's cat for the day. She is safely behind French Doors on the porch but my two cats have been staring at her from the other side for hours. I've been staring at all three fascinated by the body language. Meanwhile I'm lolling the day away with a big Sunday paper and rare MN sunshine pouring through the windows. I think it has reached 40 degrees today. Feels like spring, but it is far too early in the year to get hopes up.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #224

Racked leaves and trimmed bushes and trees in the front yard. Also pulled out some plants we don't want growing. This is becoming a major deal as we will be replacing old growth. A total of 16 Lowes leaf bags were filled by me today. It was hot out...75 F and I worked up a good sweat.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:35 PM   #225

58 degrees today and sunny so a lot of melting going on here too. Gym day for both of us, then just reading & hanging out here.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Lost our 13 year old dog Cody today. Lost my dad unexpectedly less than 2 weeks ago, now Cody. January needs to be over!
Lisa - I am so sorry for your losses. That is a lot to emotionally take in a short period of time.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #227

Did the income taxes in TurboTax, very simple this year. I think I'm done with it but will wait another week or two before filing in case some errant 1099 that I forgot about comes in. And the form 1095-C proving that I had health insurance in 2015 hasn't come in either but I understand they have until Feb. 4 to send those out.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #228
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This isn't something I did today, or yesterday, or even over the weekend. But last week, once the ice melted enough (bad ice! Shoo!!), I was able to attend a concert by Arlo Guthrie, part of his current Alice's Restaurant 50th Anniversary tour.

You may have seen his recent PBS special of the same title (I haven't yet, intentionally, knowing about this show), and I'd imagine it gives a good idea of what the performance is/was like. The PBS show is now on their streaming channel, I notice.

So rather than write about the show itself, I'll mention that joining in was an older sibling who had a great deal to do with turning me on to Arlo in the first place. During the course of the evening, I got to hear about a trip they'd taken in the early 90's along with (get this) our mom, who was an adventurous type. Arlo had a concert booked in Memphis that year and decided to take over the Delta Queen riverboat and invite fans to sail down the Mississippi with him and his family (two of whom played with him last week).

Apparently, the boat had mechanical/structural problems and had to be repaired in St. Louis. While that was happening, they took attendees up to Hannibal to do whatever you do there (I guess dress up like Tom, Huck, and Becky?). The repairs took long enough that the scheduled show had to be cancelled, but it sounded like it didn't matter one bit to Arlo and everyone, who managed to have a good time anyway. Hey - why not? Too bad I wasn't on that trip!!!

I'll make this a two-parter and put the other part over in that thread where juvenile delinquents hang around. No wait, we are all either aspiring or already EARLY retirees, right? So I guess we're not delinquent.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #229

Lisa, I am sorry for your loss. I sincerely hope that Feb and the rest of the year is smooth sailing for you. Hugs.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #230
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, less than one month into retirement, things are finally settling down. Today we drove an hour to the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area and hiked about 4 miles in the snow. Lunch and a nap, now we are having some wine to celebrate the release of a friends first published novel today.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #231

Spent 7 hours plowing snow. We had about a foot. We may get some more tonight and if not, it looks like more in a couple of days. Plowing actually isn't too bad. Its too cold to work on the house so its more fun the being inside all day. There were some folks out on snowmobiles. That looked like a great way to spend a snowy day.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #232
Recycles dryer sheets

Filed our federal and state taxes. Had the numbers crunched before year end in my spreadsheet model as part of my prior-to-year-end tax planning, so I knew well in advance what the numbers should look like. Waited for the software to be available to make it more official. Notified TaxAct of an error affecting Wisconsin adjustment calculation for long-term capital loss carryover about 2 hours after they released the state software - took a few days, but they updated the state program and fixed that. E-filed federal for free with TaxAct and e-filed state (Wisconsin) for free using the department of revenue website - didn't even know I could do that until I happened to find it on their website today when I was looking for an instruction form. Yeah, refunds on both - or I would be sitting on them until April...
Old 02-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #233
Administrator

Rode the train into NYC. Argued before the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Rode the train home to CT. Going to choir practice this rainy evening.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Closed on my mom's old house this morning. A small old house in a declining neighborhood, so not a lot of money involved. Just glad to be rid of a headache. But the house was part of our family for almost 50 years, so a lot of memories............
Old 02-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Rode the train into NYC. Argued before the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Rode the train home to CT. Going to choir practice this rainy evening.
I hope you hit all the correct notes in court, and you hit all the correct notes tonight at choir practice.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #236
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Closed on my mom's old house this morning. A small old house in a declining neighborhood, so not a lot of money involved. Just glad to be rid of a headache. But the house was part of our family for almost 50 years, so a lot of memories............
That's got to be at least a little bittersweet. Still, you did the right thing. The memories will stay with you forever and nobody can take them away from you. All you got rid of was the headache.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #237
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent several hours pushing heavy wet snow into piles...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM4.20160203_112135_1.jpg (308.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's got to be at least a little bittersweet. Still, you did the right thing. The memories will stay with you forever and nobody can take them away from you. All you got rid of was the headache.
+1
BTDT. Selling was the right decision. Memories are portable.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #239

Picked up new glasses today. First prescriptions for the wife, 2nd pair for me, but with magnetic sunglasses and slightly stronger scrip. Tonight we are doing karaoke potluck with a group of local Austinites who have weekly meetups to practice Spanish and/or English.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #240
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I hope you hit all the correct notes in court, and you hit all the correct notes tonight at choir practice.
Thanks, Rodi. Actually, choir was pretty exciting tonight. We had our normal complement of 5 tenors, but only 1 of the altos was willing to brave the weather, so I moved sections and sang alto tonight.